User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 01:47 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Between two companies.

Thought I would throw this out there. I am trying to decided what company to go with. It is between C. Bean and Transport America.

I have only 1 month of driving experience. I did go through Schneider driving school to get my CDL.

One of my concerns with Transport America is the home time. Now it sounds great that I live in Ohio and might get home weekly. Will that kill the amount of miles I get? Which in turns hurts the paycheck. Almost seems to good to be true and I know if I call the recruiter I will not get a direct answer.

As for C. Bean. I know very little. Even searching here has provided little. The posts I have read are either outdated by years or the facts given do not much up to what I have been told by C. Bean recruiter. Like one post said you only get paid .25 cents a mile. When it is actually .32 cents.

I do have my first kid on the way. So my goal is to get the experience I need and then get a local driving run. So far I have no luck with local stuff. They all want 6 to 12 months OTR. So I am ready to pay my dues.

Thanks for any input. I am kinda leaning toward C. Bean. Only because that home time with TA just seems like a trap.

Take it easy.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I have only 1 month of driving experience. I did go through Schneider driving school to get my CDL.

what happened with Schnieder?? Did you get in an accident or get fired??? Did you sign a "training contract"????

I have read a very little on C Bean but they are always blowing the doors off my truck and seem to be in a big hurry.. (I'm goverened at 70mph)
Old 08-06-2007, 04:13 AM

Nope didnt get fired. Was teaming and my co-driver wreaked. My STL wouldnt let me switch to Solo because I agreed to 6 months teaming. Not Schneiders fault. I did agree to the teaming. And yes there was a contract. I had to pay them for most of the training. I didnt fight paying them. I chose to leave because I didnt like the situation. And being and feeling safe has and will always been number one for me.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Board Regular

Go with any company that is willing to hire you with 1 months experience. Bite the bullet to get the first 6 months experience, then you'll have better choices. The first year is hard no matter what.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Rookie

From what I've heard from talking to Transport America drivers and <ahem> recruiters, the miles should be there even if you go home every week. I live in central IL and she was adamant that I'd have weekly hometime and even loads through the house every once in a while. From what the drivers were saying, I am inclined to agree. I would say they are a quality company with quality equipment. They have been on my short list a couple times.

I really can't help you as far as C. Bean, sorry.

You're options are extremely limited right now. Not many companies are willing to take a chance on a guy with one month experience, but there are some who will. Find your options, and look for a company you could spend at least a year at. You don't want to start your career with a history of job hopping - it can bite you in the butt later on.

Good luck to you.

Bill

-- Edited to clarify hometime.