User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2007, 08:14 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default UPS vs Fedex Express

Well I am in a dolima and cant make a decsiocion. So I figured where else better to ask then you guys again.

I asked you guys about OTR's in UPS and know you have to go up the ladder to become one. well, I am thinking about applying for a Fedex Express opening as a Corrioer(spl?). pay is $15-$17 from what my brother says. I have been with UPS for almost a year as a package handler. There will be a bidlist up before the December holidays for package drivers. The thing is I am hurting for $$$ since I need to pay bills. I would be getting more hours in as UPS gives me and I am always willing to double shift.

Any suggestions, so far I have been hearing good things about fedex express.

thanks
Old 07-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Rookie
Default Stick it out

Hold out for UPS.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:46 PM
Senior Board Member

UPS. More overtime, union benefits and pension. Hang in there. UPS is tough in the beginning, but will far outweigh FedEx in the long run.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Board Regular

Hold on if you can. Had a new driver quit and go to Fedex Express, because he thought he would work fewer hours and make more money. No chance at that. He worked longer days for less money. Fedex Express makes you clock out during the day between the time you finish your deliveries and the time you start picking up. So you could be out 10 hours a day, but only get paid for 8. Stay with UPS if you can. See how many Fedex Express driver made over 70k last year. Most UPS drivers clear 70k to 75k a year with OT. Then benefits. Pension, medical, dental, etc.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:10 AM

I want to hold to UPS cause i love the atmosphere in the hub its my type...but I am hurting for cash. I guess I could get another part-time job or somthing and work UPS at nite.

Its that my brother said he is gonna get about $17 hr and work 3pm-9pm plus w/e OT he can rack up. The PH's make about $3 more then I am make right now starting. Also he said they get discounts on flights as well as other stuff. The way he made it sound is he is doing easy work. All he did was unload the metro trucks and thats it. I told him thats nothing compared to what I do(sorter). I dunno, I just wanna do whats best for me. To me its feels as if i'm gonna be waiting 3 years before I can even become a driver. I was told PC drives make $15 start which is what fedex does and I can go striaght to driver right now at fedex.

Does UPS raise your pay after a year or 2? I am so ready to move a step up in my career, I am getting bored doing nothing during my off hours. I hurt my arm awhuile back so i can only do one shift sorting or I would double shift.

Basiclly i dont want to leave UPS because i know in the long hual i will be set.

I dunno, i hate being in this situation...I'm so tempted to goto Fedex but dont want to throw a possibly good oppertunity out the window. If you guys where making onkly $150 a week, 4hrs a day...what would you guys do? I really don't care if I have to work long hours, i've ran 16hr days a few times.

the fedex interview is thursday so i have until then to convince myself not to go...Iknow that sounds kinda childish but, to me I see a career in fedex as well.

thanks again any advice would be much apreeciated.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Yeah, UPS.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Senior Board Member

I vote with the others: UPS!!!

Get a second job if you have to, and hang on to UPS. If you can get past this hurdle and get a promotion or step up...it will be worth it. In the long run, after you get fulltime and are a Teamster....you will have it made. My brother drove for UPS..made darn good money. I ran into one of his friends a year or so ago....this fellow was "retiring" at the age of 55 with a monthly pension of about $3500.00. Not to mention his health benefits, and all the money he had in his "thrift account".

Before you do anything, especially leave UPS, see if you can email "feederfred" who just retired from UPS and get his opinion.....

I understand its hard with a limited income, but "good things come to those that wait"....and frankly if my brother hadn't been working for UPS.... I would have been. They wouldn't hire me because he worked there.... :cry:

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Rookie

Why was I under the impression that Fedex was a better co. to work for? I'm confused.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:52 PM
Board Regular

Get a second part-time or full-time job. Just wait it out and you'll be rewarded. It's hard to wait when you're new at UPS, but very much worth it.
My brother is an airline pilot and has been laid off 2 or 3 times plus pay cuts. Switched to another airline last year after he was laid off from Northwest. Guess who makes more money. Me. Cleared 72k last year as a package driver. It will take my brother another 7 years to make what I am making.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:55 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperor palpatine
Why was I under the impression that Fedex was a better co. to work for? I'm confused.
UPS pays better, has better benefits, better pension, and is unionize. Fedex is a good company not saying its bad or anything. UPS just has more going for it.