User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Kansas City local work

I worked for Roehl for a couple of years and then decided to go local about 3 months ago. Now I'm home everyday and make more money. I average $1300 a week. My typical gross check for two weeks is $2500 because I get paid for everything...pretrip, postrip, mileage, unloading and even waiting when I have to. Free health insurance, pension, sick and personal days.

I'm not a recruiter and I don't get a referral bonus or anything but the company I work for needs quite a few drivers so message me if you're curious. It's a small company with about 70 drivers. If there's a downside it's that you tailgate the loads at a major restaurant chain. Personally, I don't mind it and $18.60 an hour makes it alot easier.

Just putting it out there for guys near KC.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:51 PM

Thanks...what's the minimum experience required?
Old 03-28-2007, 10:54 PM

They seem to be somewhat flexible on experience, but I know they prefer two years. Several guys have been hired with less and they are heading into the busiest season short 10-15 drivers, so I can see them making exceptions for good candidates.

I can't really complain about the shortage...means more overtime for me....66 cpm and $27.90 an hour works for me. My last OT day paid $465.00.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Rookie

My husband is also a driver for Roehl and is very interested in going local. We live approx. 50 miles from KC. Could you please give him more information about this company and who to contact?
Thanks
Old 04-05-2007, 02:57 AM

sent you a pm, roehlwife
Old 04-05-2007, 03:00 AM
Board Regular

Sounds like a great gig, glad you are happy. Also it was really nice of you to put the word out as I'm sure anyone close to you who is OTR would love to go local.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:57 AM
Rookie

I live near KC and am very interested in finding out more about your company.
Thanks,
Old 04-05-2007, 07:52 AM
Rookie

i am very interested in finding something out as well
Old 04-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Default re

I see they had a add on careerbuilder but it wasnt up very long for Earp were the jobs filled? All the companies that do this are always hiring local work like this Mclane, Sygma, Sysco, Earp, Us foodservice.. Also if you want togo local but not bust your back Intermodal is growing big in kansas city. Few to look at would be Tsl, Terminal-kc piggyback, Raycore. The intermodal company i work for is not hiring or id add them. 50k+ a yr and drive a 06 pete home nightly.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:48 PM

Alright, the company is Earp Distribution. They service about 420 McDonalds stores and growing. Not sure what the story is with the employment ads, but they are definitely hiring drivers.

We set up rollers from the trailer that run into the stores, so you put the boxes on the rollers and the store crew handles it from there.

2-4 stops per day, sometimes 5 and you are paid for a minimum of 1 hr 15 minutes per stop, regardless of how long it takes to unload. If you finish in 45 mintues, you're paid for 1hr 15 mintues....if it takes you 4 hours, you're paid for 4 hours. By the way, no stops take 4 hours. They figure out how long it should take you to unload based on the number of pieces and pay you at least that much, so I'm always getting time bonuses. A few minutes here, a few minutes there. But they never pay you for less. If it takes you longer than they think it should, it doesn't matter. They always pay you for all the time.

.44 cpm, $18.60 an hour

Lots of the routes start between 11pm and 4am and you're back by noon for the most part. There are also afternoon routes on the opposite schedule. I'd say 75% night/early runs, 25% afternoon runs.

Personally, I find it easier than two-wheeling because you're not running up and down a damn ramp, but it is physical work. The first month I came home sore almost everyday (luckily my girlfriend is a massage therapist) but now my body has adjusted. It's hard work, wouldn't tell you otherwise...but I feel that I'm paid a fair wage. Got paid today -- 2 week gross was $2895.23 and I took home $2100.49 of it. Damn taxman!!

Typical seniority setup. All drivers are paid the same. The only thing that the oldtimers get for their service is first choice of routes, which means alot. Drivers bid on routes twice a year. We're doing it this week and we'll do it again in October.

New guys slipseat for 6 months to a year from what I can tell but after that you're assigned a truck. Somebody else might drive it on your day off, but you don't have to drive anything else and can keep your stuff in it if you choose to. 100% Kenworth fleet, mostly daycabs but some sleepers. We pull those 48' reefer boxes with Big Macs and Fries and so forth painted all over them.

I've been told there is a raise every May of at least 3%.

When I smash my finger between pallets and start to curse the fact that I'm unloading a truck I remember these things....I'm home everyday, I get paid for every minute of work I do, I'm taking home more money than I was making OTR, and I got rid of the OTR belly I had grown.

Obviously I like the job, but I haven't been there very long yet. Look them up online or in the phone book and call them for more info. PM me if you want their number and can't find it. I was scared of unloading trucks at restaurants and was considering more of the intermodal route when I first decided to look for local stuff, but it's not half bad. Of course there are several food service delivery companies in the area and they may be better. This just happens to be the one I have the inside scoop on.