User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Incidents like these are why people hate truck drivers....

Let me first off say I'm proud to be a driver , and I enjoy my job for the most part . There are many reasons why drivers have a poor image , here's one of them that hit close to home .

My brother is a student at a top Pennsylavania school , he will graduate in May and has a good job already lined up . He was driving home last thursday morning on I-80 west near the Ohio line in a snowstorm , he was in the right lane and came up on another truck doing about 35 , he looked to his left and saw another truck coming but it was aways off . He pulled out in the left lane to pass the truck and slid a little bit , by taht time the truck was on his ass , obviously driving way to fast for the conditions , the truck proceeded to hit him in the rear bumper knock him in the median and he then steered into the eastbound lane not wanting to get stuck , he was shook up and got out of the car to see the damage , the truck pulled over and then suddenly took off after he saw my brother getting out of the vehicle .

Now , it may or may have not been my brothers fault , I wasn't there so I don't know , but the point is another one of our fellow drivers got away witha hit and run incident , with a total of $1200 damage to his car , with him being a college student , that's quite a pretty penny . I don't understand how you can just drive off like that . To make matters worse , he called 911 and the moron operator said that there was nothing they could do without a the license number and other info , so he's out $1200 and much more paranoid about trucks and rightfully so . All he could describe it was a red truck and a white trailer as he couldn't see across the interstate in the snowstorm . Another reason why I don't really care for most other drivers out there or the entire state of Pennsylvania , which our the first ones to setup outragoes DOT inspections anytime , anyplace and the last to clear the roads in the snowy weather . Speculating on the driver , I have no idea , but I'm guessing it was a small company , probably a foriegn driver running from Chicago to NJ and back who may not even have a valid CDL , it's anybody's guess these days with the caliber of drivers we have these days . Just pisses me off and tarnishes the repution of our fellow drivers .
Old 03-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Board Regular

i hear you. It's dispicable behavior; He may have been afraid of losing his job. Maybe he had 2 previous accidents and this would have been the final straw so to speak. So, he ran. As is he can't find another job?

We had a driver at my company do that. He said he didn't want to lose his job. He had mortgage problems or something. F'd up guy.

It's scary, but maybe it's time everyone had on-board vid cameras. Screw on-star.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:09 PM

Didn't you know.. the EOBR is just the precursor to this.... Won't be long till they have Video Recording capabilities built in, that will show on screen speed, direction etc. After that, they'll have the another camera facing the driver to see how many times we blink, what were eating, how long we are sleeping. Before you know it, we'll all have robots in the cab with us.. the will move our body's... to steer, accel, brake shift etc. Sure you get the picture.

That driver is an asshat and will get what's coming to him someday.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Board Regular

Smooth,

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but both the trucker and your brother were at fault. The trucker was driving to fast for conditions and your brother did not have control of his vehicle. Granted the driver should not have fled the scene, although I am curious how he crossed the median in a snow storm without getting stuck? Perhaps I misread that part.

Now I do take offense to you calling the 911 dispatcher a moron for telling your brother there is nothing they can do. I currently work as an EMT in PA and during the last snow storm every county in PA was so slammed with calls it wasn't even funny. Now tell me what did you want the dispatcher to do with out a plate # company name ect. Have the state police pull over every big truck on 80? Not to mention that most Fire/EMS and Police were back logged over 3 hours during the storm due to all the accidents.

People also complain about how PA doesn't clear the roads fast enough. Well how are they supposed to clear the roads when everyone is out there driving on them like it was a bright sunny day? Then when there is an accident there are MILES of backups and the plow trucks can't to their jobs still.

I know you are upset about what happened to your brother but there is seriously no need to attack others because your brother had poor judgment.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegzus
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but both the trucker and your brother were at fault. The trucker was driving to fast for conditions and your brother did not have control of his vehicle.
Ahh, so it's ok now to go ahead and hit another vehicle if that person is starting to lose control or has lost control. Didn't know that.... :roll: Sounds to me like a sorry excuse in favor of the truck driver.

The only person at fault is the truck driver if every detail is taken as being true. The brother did nothing wrong, from what I read, he had brought the vehicle back under control or close to it and then was hit in the rear.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Quote:
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but both the trucker and your brother were at fault. The trucker was driving to fast for conditions and your brother did not have control of his vehicle.
Ahh, so it's ok now to go ahead and hit another vehicle if that person is starting to lose control or has lost control. Didn't know that.... :roll: Sounds to me like a sorry excuse in favor of the truck driver.

The only person at fault is the truck driver if every detail is taken as being true. The brother did nothing wrong, from what I read, he had brought the vehicle back under control or close to it and then was hit in the rear.
Oh that's right the brother was in the right to try and pass another vehicle on snow covered roads and when he couldn't do it safely and lost control he was hit by a truck. Sounds to me like they were both in the wrong and driving unsafe. In PA both drivers would be cited in that accident if the police had shown up.

And for the record I wasn't sticking up for anyone they were both wrong.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Board Icon

How do you know he wasn't trying to get back behind the truck he was originally trying to pass once he realized things were worse if he went any faster?? Your saying he was wrong for being in the other trucks way, whether he was under control or not. :roll:
Old 03-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

He states it may have been his brother's fault. He did pull out in front of a passing truck and got run over so it seems both drivers made poor decisions. However his point is the truck driver took off! He's pissed at the chickensh*t truckdriver for leaving the scene. He's not arguing about who's fault it is.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:24 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Quote:

How can you even imagine the brother did nothing wrong? For starters, he lost control of his car. Next, he obviously misjudged how far back the truck was. And lastly, he made a manuever and obviously didn't plan for what COULD happen. He did alot wrong, especially in a snow storm. Yes the truck driver is a shmuck for taking off, but it all could have been avoided. Folks need to think more about avoidance and less about whose to blame. It's called defensive driving!
Old 03-24-2007, 01:29 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth
Speculating on the driver , I have no idea , but I'm guessing it was a small company , probably a foriegn driver running from Chicago to NJ and back who may not even have a valid CDL , it's anybody's guess these days with the caliber of drivers we have these days .
I guess you are just basing this on your prejudices. What a shame that you think of others like this.