User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2006, 01:18 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Looking for something new.

Ive been around this forum for a while, i'm not a newbie, been driving for a little over three years but am just getting burnt out with the unstableness of the local work here in florida. With that said, ive been hauling sod locally for most of my driving time, i did do OTR for almost 4 months at the end of 2004, that job got me home on the weekends, but i rarely saw a legal day of driving, and i know as a driver that was my fault, but it was my firs OTR job, so i guess my thinking was to just "do what i had to do". So anyway, there's a lot of you guys out there who might be able to help, I mentioned i live in Florida which is my first hang up, alot of companies don't want to hire out of florida. I want to be home on weekends, and have my wife as a rider on the truck, I don't want the hassle of van freight. I would like to look further in to Hopper bottoms, dump trailers, or flats. Anyone out there have any info? If so let me know, i've talked to Schwend in Dade City, good gig, but no spouse rider program, also was looking at Montgomery Bulk in Coleman, Fl, but haven't gotten any in depth research so far. Any help would be great, but i can understand if this is a hard criteria to meet. Please no Van companies though, just came to the conclusion i don't want the hassle.
Thanks a lot, Zach from Florida.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:29 PM

You are really limiting yourself. If you want to go otr you may have to do van or at least flatbed. Good luck
Old 12-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Senior Board Member

there is always tankers isnt Oakley out of florida
Old 12-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicxl
there is always tankers isn't Oakley out of Florida
I concur, tanker is a good gig, work smart not hard. :wink:
Old 12-13-2006, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member

I think that if you are going to look into food grade tanker... you should look into "Carry Transit". They are the food grade division of Superior Bulk Logistics... they pay much better, and they are probably more in tune with what you are looking for.

Cyanide has probably listed their pay schedule and such on his tanker thread, so using "Carry Transit" as search words should get you results. Also they have a terminal in Lakeland, FL.

There are a number of food grade tanker companies based in FL.... but you may not like their "hometime" policies or the pay for that matter.

If you have any expectation of having your spouse riding with you, you will have to stay away from "Chemical/hazmat tanker outfits".... none that I know of allow riders except another driver aka team.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Board Regular

Well just an update on my situation, things are picking up with the sod loads and all is going well so far, thanks for all the info on the companies, i might check them out if things get too bad where i'm at, but so far so good. Thanks again.