User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default OLD DOMINION FREIGHT LINE HAUL

DOES OD HAVE LINE HAUL RUNS THAT TURN EVERY NIGHT DOES A NEW DRIVER HAVE A CHANCE AT GETTING A RUN THAT TURNS EVERY NIGHT OR DO YOU HAVE TO RUN WILD FIRST THEN GET A RUN THAT TURNS???HOUSTON TEXAS [/b]
Old 11-16-2006, 02:54 PM
Senior Board Member

I dont know how OD works, but most LTL cos. run you wild/float till you get enough seniority to get a bid run- wich is what you are asking about. Most bid runs have you home at least once during the week, if not every night...
Old 11-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Senior Board Member

We don't have any Wild Runs as far as I know in Con-Way western. The only time you have to lay down in a hotel is equipment breakdown or the road closing due to weather or accidents.

Out here OD drivers are not paid for the 1st 4 hrs of delay and then get something like $5/hr after than.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Rookie

Ian, are you serious? 4hr b4 delay pay, and 5 bucks an hour after ? Surely you kid ! :?: :shock:
Old 11-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Senior Board Member

I dont get a thing for delays...but I get paid very well by the mile...
Old 11-16-2006, 08:20 PM
Board Regular

if it is like other LTL's, the runs are bid out by seniority. They proably have several good quick turns, (home daily), but more thanlikely you will not see one for a couple of years. I prefer an overnight run myself, I am gone 2 nights a week, but that gives me 2 days a weeek to do nothing but get my rest. When I had a fast turn, I tried to do to much at the house, and was always really tired. Plus on my laydown run, i get in so early I am home in bed before Atlanta traffic even thinks of getting started. We get $20/hr for delay after the first hour. Better than nothing, but you have to give them the first hour, and miraculously you always get your bills at 58 minutes late.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams
Out here OD drivers are not paid for the 1st 4 hrs of delay and then get something like $5/hr after than.
I'll be damned. Sounds like a raw deal no matter how you slice it.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:26 AM
Rookie
Default Re: OLD DOMINION FREIGHT LINE HAUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVERMAN77077
DOES OD HAVE LINE HAUL RUNS THAT TURN EVERY NIGHT DOES A NEW DRIVER HAVE A CHANCE AT GETTING A RUN THAT TURNS EVERY NIGHT OR DO YOU HAVE TO RUN WILD FIRST THEN GET A RUN THAT TURNS???HOUSTON TEXAS [/b]
bids are selected by senority, just depends on the terminal. you might get hired on as a wild driver, then 18 months later they may hire someone and they get a turn. basically you're at the mercy of those that are already there.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:12 AM
Senior Board Member

I heard it second hand last Sat morning.

Several of out guys ran out of hours coming back from the break-bulk in Sacramento due to chain controls. Since we don't have dock workers we are frequently low on hours coming home. When we're busy and/or short handed it makes for long days. For the entire month of August I worked 5-7hrs of outbound dock (my bid) and then did a turn and burn to Sacramento.

At CWX as soon as the wheels stop moving you are on the clock for "Enroute Delay" or "Breakdown".

One of the new guys was griping about having to sit and wait for ~ 3 hrs until management could find someone to drive their equipment in from Truckee. On of our line drivers who had been around awhile mentioned that he was talking to an OD driver on the CD and that they are not paid until the 5th hr. and then get $5/hr.

One of the OD drivers on here should be along soon enough to set the record straight.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:21 AM
Board Regular

Ok, you got an OD line haul driver here and been with them since July this year. I can give you what I know.

Quote:
"DOES OD HAVE LINE HAUL RUNS THAT TURN EVERY NIGHT DOES A NEW DRIVER HAVE A CHANCE AT GETTING A RUN THAT TURNS EVERY NIGHT OR DO YOU HAVE TO RUN WILD FIRST THEN GET A RUN THAT TURNS???"
At my terminal we have drivers called "wild turn drivers." This means you go out every night and should end your 14 hr shift back at your home terminal. It is not a scheduled run. You drive to whatever OD terminal that the freight needs to go to within reasonable distance. I start my week on Monday night and drive till Friday night/Saturday morning. Unless I run out of hours on the road due to delay I am home every night/day.

They also have drivers who drive "bag runs." These guys pack a bag and go out and drive for several days to several weeks before coming back home. Depends on how long they want to stay out and how much freight needs to be moved. The bag runners at our terminal generally stay out 2 weeks at a time.

Each terminal appears to be a little different and hires based on their need. My terminal hired me as a wild turns driver right out of school and I am home every day. But I spoke to another OD driver from another terminal and they make the new drivers start out on bag runs and then move up to wild turns. I guess it depends on what the terminal needs. Best thing to do is call the terminal local to you and see what they are hiring for and if that fits your needs.

Quote:
"Out here OD drivers are not paid for the 1st 4 hrs of delay and then get something like $5/hr after than."
Correct. If you get delayed at a terminal waiting on freight you wait 4 hrs before getting anything. I have not had to wait that long but have talked to other OD drivers who did. Some terminals are better at moving you faster than others.

Hope this helps.