User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2006, 12:49 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default UPS Freight -- Are they going to go Union?

No official word yet, but The chosen facility "Indianapolis", has voted to be represented by local 135 Teamsters. Hopefully they will have a respectable contract soon, and the rest of the terminals will fall in line.

I have been working for Overnite/UPS Freight for 13 years, and am anxiously awaiting to see if Indy gets a fair contract.

Any word?
Old 11-11-2006, 12:52 AM
Rookie

I work at ups (package car) Teamsters suck. Hope I can say that and not get blocked
Old 11-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by san415
I work at ups (package car) Teamsters suck. Hope I can say that and not get blocked
I'm Teamsters and it don't bother me, everyone should have a right to their own opinion. Some trucking message boards will ban you if you talk Union out of the specific threads, but hopefully CAD will never do that.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:45 PM

I'm not a Teamster but if you do some serious reading you'll see that as of right now they're a BIG part of the reason our friends south of the border still have to abide by a 20 mile limit inside the US...

The bigger US companies are already buying up (or own 100%) Mexican trucking companies. (Now why would they possibly be doing that?)

If you think your pay sucks now just watch what happens if they open that border up.

Who do you think they'll be giving those loads to...?

You (at .30mile) or THEIR .15mile (+/-) drivers?

You think (if that border opens up) they'll haul to Chicago, Seattle, Boston, etc. then deadhead back across the border?

Nope...because that's not profitable. And that's the name of the game.

Better be paying attention to what's REALLY going on out there because...it's coming.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:53 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by san415
I agree
Old 11-13-2006, 12:43 AM
Board Regular
Default Teamsters...

So, you work at brown and you think the union sucks ? Hmmmm...If you really are a package car driver, just How long do you think you'd last on your route without union protection ? Do you think that brown willingly gives us decent wages and health and welfare out of the kindness of their heart ? If so, you don't know the company like I do. Like your route audits ? Think they wouldn't load up even more stops per hour if the union wasn't there ? Like your pension ? I don't personally care for Hoffa, but I sure wouldn't have made it all this time without the job protections in place, thanks to the Teamsters. Perhaps you would be happier at DHL ?? To answer the original post: To date Hoffa has organized ONE terminal in Indiana. He has not negotiated any master agreement to cover all of UPS Freight. He is using his one victory in Indiana for campaign propaganda, but we don't believe his BS this time around. November 14 is going to be interesting. That's when we see if we're stuck with fat boy for another 4 years....
Old 11-13-2006, 02:08 AM
Rookie

No I don't like my pension. A lot of us don't like our pension. Though perhaps your not in the Central states pension fund? Its not just me (22 yrs @ ups). And I know we need a union. I just think if teamsters stays our union it needs an overhaul. I do not want them to handle my pension any longer. There are a lot of worried older upsers on the brown cafe site. And I also don't know if feeders or the freight division might be under a different pension plan. We will see in 2 yrs.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:10 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: Teamsters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by feederfred
So, you work at brown and you think the union sucks ? Hmmmm...If you really are a package car driver, just How long do you think you'd last on your route without union protection ? Do you think that brown willingly gives us decent wages and health and welfare out of the kindness of their heart ? If so, you don't know the company like I do. Like your route audits ? Think they wouldn't load up even more stops per hour if the union wasn't there ? Like your pension ? I don't personally care for Hoffa, but I sure wouldn't have made it all this time without the job protections in place, thanks to the Teamsters.
Amen, brother!

A good Teamsters job is like night and day over OTR. Imagine getting paid to fuel the truck? Paid to sleep in the truck? Paid to drop and hook trailers? Paid for breakdowns, PM's and safety meetings? Paid for each and every mile you drive to a customer? Paid for ALL dock time?

Just last week I was at a grocery warehouse and saw some poor sap lumping freight after 10-11 hours behind the wheel. A collective bargaining contract with work rules wouldn't allow that crap.

It's amazing that athletes and actors pulling down millions of dollars per year see the benefit of unions and collective bargaining agreements. Ever heard of the Player's Association? The Screen Actor's Guild? And yet truckdrivers making .29 cpm and sittin' at the dock of the bay for zilch just don't get it.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Teamsters....

No, I am not in the Central States Fund. I am in the Western Conference. I have heard about your problems in the Central States Fund. Hopefully, we may have a change on the 14th. Brown's new proposal is on the [email protected]. And no, feeder is not any different as far as pension. (28 years@Brown-12 in a package car). Peace....
Old 11-14-2006, 12:24 AM
Rookie