User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Fresh Opinions on ATS Anderson Trucking Service?

I worked for TMC from around 4/06 to 6/07 and loved flatbed. I parted on good terms with them for personal reasons and now want to get back OTR by January or so.

I need a rider policy that includes my g/f and a pet policy that allows a caged pet ferret. A bonus would be a company that has several divisions (dry van/flatbed etc) so I could try dry van and then go back to my flatbed preference if I didn't like vans.

I was told to look into Anderson Trucking as they allow both riders and pets and have several divisions. The threads on here about ATS are a bit dated so I figured I'd start up a new one.

I've heard VERY conflicting opinions from VETERAN CAD posters! Some say they are a good company others call them bottom-feeders. Both posters have well over 1,000 posts on here so I assume they are more experienced than I am especially since they have many years in the industry as oppose to my one year. :lol: .

I know everyone has their own opinions but USUALLY the guys with a LOT of posts tend to agree (for the most part) on the good vs. bad of most companies. To see such extremely different opinions from two seasoned drivers worrys me! :shock:

If ANYONE can shed a little more light and/or CURRENT info on ATS, I'd be thankful. :wink:
Old 11-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Senior Board Member

I was originally going to go with Anderson after I finished cdl school, I was told by Tracy ( student recruiter) that I meet all the requirements, just apply so they can do a background check, make sure I don't have a criminal history, etc. etc. and I was all set and good to go. Well after that I did my application I didn't hear anything for a month. I called her up and asked what was going on, why haven't I heard anything. First story she gave me was she cant hire out of Virginia. Which was total bull :dung: since trucks run through here all the time. So I waited for a week and thought about it, and called again. The second story was she never received my application, which again was total bull :dung: becuase she confirmed she got it during the first story she made up. After talking to her boss, told him the story etc. etc. he says he doesn't understand why I haven't been pre-approved yet. She Finally e-mails me with a nasty letter saying she will not hire me becuase of an accident I had back in 2005. We discussed my accident back in the very beginning and she said it would be no problem. Talked to her boss again and he said there was nothing he could do about it. He said I meet the requirements, but she was in charge of hiring students, and she can impose hiring standards than what the company policy is. :?:

After going through all that I just plain gave up on them. Now on the bright side they do have a lot of room to advice, doing heavy hall , etc. etc. and the pay scale is pretty decent. I don't know If I just found the bad apples of the company, or the whole place is that way.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Senior Board Member

I HOPE the company isn't run like that!? The bright side is that I had the benefit of working for TMC as a driver, then driver/recruiter and finally a recruiter so I got to see all aspects of operations and I know from that experience that the recruiting department has its superstars AND a$$holes and is by no means a reflection on the vast majority of the drivers/fleet managers who, for the most part, were great. I guess I'll wait and see what this thread "digs up" for opinions.
Thanks for the input! :wink:
Old 11-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Board Regular

That OTR kind of gets in the blood doesn't it.

Take a quick look at Crete, you would fit in well with your work ethics. They also have a flatbed div, Hunt Transport, if you want to get back into that line of work. I have the feeling that you might enjoy the clean life of van drivers though.

My miles with this company have been good and consistent, although my average has dropped to 3000-3200 mpw with an occasional 2500 week instead of 3400+ mpw I was running in the beginning of the year.

Still nothing to complain about, and you won't have to worry about fixing the log books here. You can make a good living and keep it legal.

One other thought, how about tanker work. I've been looking into Superior Carriers. Seems like something you might be interested in too. I know you're not scared off by a challenge. Check out the threads on this board.

[email protected]
Old 11-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evertruckerr
That OTR kind of gets in the blood doesn't it.
It sure does. I NEVER would have thought it would but I miss it a LOT!

Quote:
Take a quick look at Crete, you would fit in well with your work ethics. They also have a flatbed div, Hunt Transport, if you want to get back into that line of work. I have the feeling that you might enjoy the clean life of van drivers though.
I like EVERYTHING about Crete & Hunt EXCEPT their hometime. My girlfriend will need to be home as many weekends as possible for her partial child custody agreement. If I could be home most weekends, I would seriously consider them. If her agreement changes I wouldn't mind being out that long though so I'll keep them in mind.

Quote:
My miles with this company have been good and consistent, although my average has dropped to 3000-3200 mpw with an occasional 2500 week instead of 3400+ mpw I was running in the beginning of the year.
Still nothing to complain about, and you won't have to worry about fixing the log books here. You can make a good living and keep it legal.
That's a nice change lol.

Quote:
One other thought, how about tanker work. I've been looking into Superior Carriers. Seems like something you might be interested in too. I know you're not scared off by a challenge. Check out the threads on this board.
I've heard (on CAD) MOST tanker companies don't allow pets..
Old 11-20-2007, 12:59 AM

We had a former ATS flatbedder come over to Watkins & Shepard (flatbed) I asked his opinion and he had nothing good to say, low miles, low pay, micro-managing blah-blah-blah. BTW he was a Fleece operator for them.
I applied with them prior to this conversation, they said they don't hire in my area (Eastern WA, Northern ID, Western MT) but they have an ad that says "now hiring in ID-MT for our Missoula MT terminal" go figure :roll: