User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 12:17 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Please help

My husband works for DIGBY. He worked there for 3 years, two of that was teaming with me, but I became disabled. I am 64, he is 53. He quit Digby when they decided you could no longer take your trucks home. Then he was hit by a lady who ran a stop sign, JUST BEFORE HE WAS TO START A NEW JOB, and for 3 years he was disabled, He recently thought he could drive again so he went back to work for digby, in June. He GAVE UP DISABILITY AS HE DID NOT WANT TO BE ON THE DOLE.
Well all the drivers were informed two days ago that Digby had sold out to celandine, (NOT SURE OF SPELLING) and we are not sure they will keep all on. We lost everything when he was hit. we have only been married 9 years and were both widows. then Rita took our home, we are living in a FEMA trailer which we have to be out of in March. we had counted on this job to rebuilt just a big room to live in. Thing is he was convicted of a felony, 4 years before I married him. He was a musician and well, nuff said. BUT he IS a good person and I would not have married him had he still been into that kind of life. He does not even drink. He needs to find a company to work for fast!! we cannot afford to wait to see if they are going to send him home or not. He gave up his music to go to trucking school because I asked him to. IS THERE ANY TRUCKING COMPANY THAT WILL HIRE HIM.!!!! Digby gave him a second chance, but now :cry:
Old 10-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Senior Board Member

sorry to hear of your situation....there are companies that will hire if the felony is 3 years old...then some say it has to be 5 years old..then some wont touch you at all.....did you mean Celadon trucking out of indianapolis? i ask cuz there is a another company similiar to the spelling you had....but just visit a few websites and find out...another thing..why wouldnt they keep him..because of the felony? you may want to call celadon and just ask?? that maybe the best you can do....and if you do stay with celadon im sure you will do pretty good..i ran with them b4 and they are a pretty good company
Old 10-09-2006, 12:30 AM
Senior Board Member

For the record according to reports it is Celedon that has aquired Digby.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:47 AM
Rookie
Default CELEDON

they might keep him --thing is they are laying off a bunch and being off 3 years he is low man on the totam pole
Old 10-09-2006, 02:13 AM
Senior Board Member

The felony is what, thirteen years ago? Seems there'd be plent of companies that would give him a shot. Just make sure he lets the recruiters know about it up front. Make sure he leaves out no detail whatsoever. Doesn't seem like he'd have too much to worry about. Just don't dwell on Digby.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:31 AM
Senior Board Member

I, too, am sorry to hear about your situation.

You said that the felony was 4 years before you married and you have been married for 9 years so yep that is 13 years. Celadon's profile page here on CAD says that felonies must be 10 years old so that shouldn't be a problem there and if it is, there would probably be many other companies where it wouldn't be a problem. Honestly, I would think the disibility would cause you more trouble than the felony would when it comes to getting hired.

Keep your head up and push forward and all will be fine. Remember, tough times like this just builds character.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: CELEDON

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlady1942
they might keep him --thing is they are laying off a bunch and being off 3 years he is low man on the totam pole

why would celadon once they acquired the assets of DIGBY let any drivers go??? thats one of the reasons other companies buy out other companies is for drivers...i highly doubt they are letting drivers go
Old 10-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would think that if your husband's record with Digby is good, that he would not have any problems staying on with Celadon. If it were me, I would talk to Celadon and ask them if there is a chance he would be laid off. If there is, then I would start putting in applications with other companies. Since the felony is so old, I don't think he will have any difficulty finding a good job with another company. I agree about the disability potentially causing him more of a problem getting on with another company. He may have to get checked out by a new carrier's doctor or have his own doctor sign off on the disability. You may start checking around just to cover yourself. It is better to plan ahead, just in case.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Senior Board Member

The fact that Digby was bought up does not mean hes laid off...its just been taken over...call them to ask what they want him to do, and who to report to, if not the same people and callcenter.... Why would you assume hes laid off????? they have all of Digbys trucks now, they still need drivers for them and to deliver digbys freight...
Old 10-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Senior Board Member

More than likely the only people who will be laid off either work behind a desk or with a wrench in hand. I don't see them laying off drivers.