View Poll Results: Werner or TMC, For a veteran that wants to make the most money
Werner 2 18.18%
TMC 9 81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2006, 12:04 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default TMC or Werner (For a veteran Marine)

I just graduated from A good CDL school in Kentucky. I am going to start work the first of September. I have picked two companies that sound the best to me. It will be Werner or TMC. My biggest need is money.

I just got out of the Marines, the VA will do an apprenticeship program with Werner, and Werner is the only trucking company they will do this with and this means I will receive $9300 from My GI bill from the VA my first year working with Werner.

At TMC it is said that I would make more money then I would at Werner even with the $9300 from the VA. After 30 days with TMC I can get 25% to 35% of what the truck makes. Werner would be 26 to 28 cent per mile $75 to off load the truck and $15 for every stop plus the big $9300 from the VA.

Both recruiters is telling me that I will make about $1000 a week and home every weekend. I do not like to take the ward from just a recruiter but for now that is all I have to go off. I am not scared of hard work or home time. I just want to make the kind of money I use to make.

Any advice I could get from here on this matter will most likely be my deciding factor on who to go with.

Thanks to anyone that answers, and thinks to the webmaster of this website. Your website was a big help on picking my school.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:15 AM
Board Regular

i retired from the navy last year and went to work for tmc and have been very satisfied personally and financially. they keep me busy and when i want to run over the weekend, i get pretty decent and easy freight. plus the extra $450+ for a weekend of work is not too bad. the equipment is not too shabby either.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:33 PM
Rookie
Default Re: TMC or Werner (For a veteran Marine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblett
I just got out of the Marines, the VA will do an apprenticeship program with Werner, and Werner is the only trucking company they will do this with and this means I will receive $9300 from My GI bill from the VA my first year working with Werner.
I didn't know this. So the MGIB will pay you as if you were in school while you are actually on the road? If so I would say the answer to your questiion is easy. That is nearly 10,000 dollars of free money. I know what I would do.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Senior Board Member
Default TMC

Go with TMC Devildog! At least there you stand a good chance of actually grossing $1,000 a week once you're on your own. TMC seems to have very good standing from what has been said by those who drive there here on this site. Attention to detail ring a bell :wink:?

Werner at .28/mile would require you to run 3,571 miles a week to do that. Even running food-grade tanker as I did that's not anywhere close to being realistically achieveable, regardless of how much compressing/cheating/bending/fudging the log book you can pull off. Also, that's not going to happen being a new driver trying to learn a system, unless you have a very good partner and ran as a team after training :nervous:...

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 08-19-2006, 09:26 AM
Board Regular

Gi Bill can also be used at Vo-Tech schools. That was an option to me when I came home from being on of Uncle Smedleys Mud Cadets. I opted for a company training program since it started before vo tech school.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:31 PM
Senior Board Member

You said money ......That pretty much narrows it down to TMC over Werner..........However driving flatbed at Werner is easier to get miles than Van ..as they only have like 300 trucks designated to this division , so freight is far better for the drivers as oppsed to their van division.....

OH AND STARTING PAY FOR FLAT BED IS NOT .28 CPM AT WERNER........................IT's only .......Drum ROLL PLEASE..........24 CPM...that's right .........24CPM....
Old 08-20-2006, 05:15 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
You said money ......That pretty much narrows it down to TMC over Werner..........However driving flatbed at Werner is easier to get miles than Van ..as they only have like 300 trucks designated to this division , so freight is far better for the drivers as oppsed to their van division.....

OH AND STARTING PAY FOR FLAT BED IS NOT .28 CPM AT WERNER........................IT's only .......Drum ROLL PLEASE..........24 CPM...that's right .........24CPM....
What a fucken joke!! :roll:
Old 08-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintama
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's

What a **** joke!! :roll:

Yes it's a joke ,and CL and his boys face's should be the punch line........ :lol:
Old 08-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Board Regular

I cannot say about TMC- BUT I CAN TELL YOU THIS FOR SURE: The reqruiters @ Werner WERE LYING TO YOU ABOUT 'expected' early earnings. One (extremely unusual week- actually had 4234 pd miles) I got paid in this range...surely the average paycheck was a good deal lower- and I am a 'hard runner'.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:58 AM
Rookie

At Werner, for starters Van is not .28, its .26, and if you choose to take the Per Diem, it drops to .25.

I've been with them a couple months now, and I get close to 3k miles a week on a pretty regular basis. I have a pretty good dispacher so far and she has been very helpfull if I run into a situation. But dont expect 1k a week to start. ALSO dont expect to be home weekends. I get home every 17 days on average for a couple days.