Which one for recent grad? and Why? Thanks, Travis

(Solo, Dry Van)
Old 07-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Travis, I didn't vote in your poll. Everyone here can tell you why. I think the answer you are seeking to your question is easily found. All you have to do is: Do two searches, each using the names of the companies as the "searchwords". Read the posts, and digest all the information. Keep a scorecard. Add up the score cards, then flip a coin and see if it is heads or tails, or stands on edge.

Actually, I'm not trying to be "cheeky".... but giving you some sage advice, and here it is: Read the posts, and read about the companies. They are not the same, and their business models are not the same. One is a mega-company that is publicly held, the other is privately owned by a family that stands back and has successfully hired people to run the company and make it profitable. One company's operations department will know most of the drivers by name, whereas the other probably due to their sheer size and numbers cannot.

Is one better than the other? I'm not going to answer that question. I'm way too biased. But that is also because I have my comfort zone, and I am right in it. Your comfort zone and mine may not be at all the same, so in truth, while I can say without a doubt that "Both companies are great", one is greater to me than the other. It is you who has to decide which is greater for "you".

I will say that to compare these two companies is like comparing an apple to an orange...no pun intended

Schneider has van, tank, flatbed, specialized drop deck, heavy haul....

CFI is strictly van.

It all entirely depends on what you want, then what you are willing to work for....and so on.

Now, if you have specific questions regarding my employer (CFI) after you do some research here, or anywhere else for that matter, please feel free to ask in the open, via PM or via email. If I don't know the answer, I will get it for you, or I will direct you to the person who can answer it.

I know good things about Schneider, but on the other hand I will not state anything bad about them. I do not like to repeat 3rd hand hearsay. If I didn't live it or experience it....its like telling a "trucker's story".

I know good things about CFI, because I have been here for more than 7 years. I'm still here, and don't have any plans to leave..unless I win a really, really big lottery win....and I'm not holding my breath on that. I won't go into detail here as to why I feel like I do about CFI...its not because I don't want to...but its because I have posted a ton of information in the recent, and very recent past that is very accessible to you by searching "Skywalker & CFI" simultaneously.

Don't do the search...unless you really want the information to base or influence your decision, and are willing to pop some popcorn grab a drink, sit down and read for awhile...

By the way...where do you live? Ahhh, yes, silly me...I missed it.. N Atlanta, GA... you are in the hiring area.

Pax

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-16-2006, 11:37 PM
Default CFI

travislj, Hands down its CFI. Trust me, I did the SNI thing for a 1.5 and to be honest with you it was great. Nice place to start you driving career, Just expect things to happen as a newbie.

If you listen to the BS and go there thinking its not going to happen to you then ur wrong. Some things will go wrong, thats just apart of the trucking industry. You will get a load over there with no time on it, just let them know your eta and it will be changed. @ SNI everything falls i the hands of your DM. If you get along with him/her well you will do ok over there.

To be honest, If My DM didnt leave to take a dedicated acct in FL, I may still be there, But as an O/O. But everything happens for a reason. I now reside @ the Best Damn VAN company in the business.

If I dont get the Flatbed FLU I will be here for a while. but it feels like I am coming down with a cold, Good thing is I wont be far (Melton) is were I am going back to if I do get the FLU. they are a great company to.

But anywho, SNI is a great training company if you do go there just do your job, get the exp and jump ship. It will take you for ever to max out ur pay scale, but the miles are there and the work is good. trucks are a lil slow but you will get the job done. O and the trailer searche are horrible, lol I dont miss them @ all. Check out www.Pumpkindrivers.com and you will get all the info you want.

Now CFI, is the place to be, Nuff said. www.CFIdrivers.com is another site for great info.

Chk those sites out and then you will be able to make a better decsion.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:00 AM
Senior Board Member

travislj

I second skywalker's comment. I have also posted this same question with different variables. you can look up worldisnotenough if you are interested. I chose CFI for many reasons. I too just graduated and start at CFI on the 24Th of July. I personally can't wait. As the other company you mentioned. As far as recruiting I think they had some very honest people there and I was more than tempted to go that route. I see there trucks a lot and have talked to a few drivers. Most of them seem happy. One thing that makes a difference for me is that CFI seems like a company that will give you a hand in learning for a newbie. Not to be confused with taking you by the hand and doing everything for you. My job as a new driver is to drive! Fresh out of school .. I need to get back behind the wheel and learn. I want to go somewhere where I know that I can stay at for at least two years and not worry about pay or little stuff. Now granted I don't know about the other company in this regard but I do know from several drivers that I won't have to deal with this at CFI. I learned by posting, asking, questioning, reading, and then asking some more. Skywalker and Croc are probably sick of all the questions I have asked. Thankfully they have not made me aware of the fact that I am annoying them! :shock:
Old 07-17-2006, 02:05 AM
Board Regular

Skywalker should be rich with all of these people joining CFI

Just a joke. I know you don't say all this good stuff just to get a bonus.

CFI seems good. I haven't heard hardly any negative comments on them. I wodner how long this will last though. They seem to be growing fast; I'm sure it's a matter of time before you guys will be a number and not a name. But hopefully not.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam9315
Skywalker should be rich with all of these people joining CFI
Truth be known... if a "student driver" aka newbie decides to join CFI, there is absolutely no money in it for me or any other driver at CFI.

Quote:
Just a joke. I know you don't say all this good stuff just to get a bonus.
I realize that The above comment was posted so that others beside you would know the truth as well.

The other half of the truth is this: If I recruit an "Experienced Driver", yes then there is a "spiff". But in any event, I speak only the truth. Why?, you might ask... Simply because its not in my nature to lie or deceive anyone....and I refuse to do that. You can get hurt that way.

Quote:
CFI seems good. I haven't heard hardly any negative comments on them. I wodner how long this will last though. They seem to be growing fast; I'm sure it's a matter of time before you guys will be a number and not a name. But hopefully not.
Their saving grace is that they have set a maximum level of trucks, and will not go beyond that. They are a company that sets goals, and when the goal is reached, they re-assess the situation. I don't really worry about us getting to big...because they have ever tried to be all things to all people. They have their niche so to speak and they work it hard. They know that competing with certain companies is a waste of time. Cheaper freight does not mean higher profits.... so they do what they do best.

We too, hope this philosophy doesn't change. But I don't lie awake at night worrying about it.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:15 AM
Senior Board Member

I do lye awake but for different reasons. I CANNOT WAIT TO GET THERE. There I feel so much better :P
Old 07-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Rookie