User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2015, 10:02 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default O/O in Utah, looking to run under some ones authority. Not much verifiable experience

My name is Adam, I am 34, live in Ogden, Utah. Recently acquired my CDL, and inherited a road worthy 1993 White/GMC Aero with a bunk bed sleeper, Detroit 12.7, 10 speed, sliding fifth wheel, air ride and DOT inspected. I can and will safely operate solo, or will get a second driver if needed. I am a Navy Aircraft mechanic veteran, I worked on 80 millon dollar aircraft (E-2C), on the flight deck of a carrier (CV-64). That said I can and will keep preventable breakdowns to zero. I am more then willing to work out a deal with someone so we both profit. My overhead is low, which should help the negotiations. I also have no problem staying on the road for weeks at a time. If interested please email me a [email protected]
Old 04-18-2015, 01:58 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Congratulations on getting your CDL and a truck, Adam. You didn't mention the type of freight you want to haul or type of trailer. A friend of mine worked for Gilner (?) out of Jerome, Idaho. They pull reefers. I don't know their minimum requirements. I will note a couple of obstacles that you should be aware. First is your lack of experience. Most carriers look for those with some verifiable driving experience, usually at least 6-12 months for an owner operator. Some require 2-3 years. Another potential challenge is the age of your truck. With your location, you will likely need to service California unless you can find something running in other areas. California doesn't allow older trucks to enter the state, but for a very limited number of miles per year. I don't say this to discourage you, but so that you will be aware of possible challenges you will need to over come. It is very difficult for most to find an insurance company to cover those with little or no experience. Unfortunately, the insurance companies dictate whom we can hire. Some of the larger carriers self insure and could work with you to give you the experience you need. There will still be the issue of the age of your truck, mainly due to California.

You could work for one of these training carriers for a year or so and that will open up some doors for you. Another possibility is to get your own authority. But, the learning curve can be steep and very expensive for those who lack experience. Some new owners have found that they can get insurance through Progressive. Premiums will be high for new authorities.

I appreciate the fact you are a veteran and have worked on some of the best military aircraft in the world. But, it isn't something most will consider when it comes to trucking. It sucks, but that is the way things are in this industry.

With your military experience, you may give Schneider a call. They are one of the largest carriers in the nation. They have company drivers as well as owner operators. At one time they had a program specifically to recruit veterans, so I understand. Some other carriers you may check with are Swift, Roehl, Millis, JB Hunt, Covenant or US Xpress. There is also a company listings feature on the top of this page. Many of the major carriers are listed along with their minimum hiring requirements. There are some carriers who may not care about the age of your truck.

I wish you well. I hope you at least consider going with a carrier as a company driver as a step toward achieving your goal of becoming an owner operator. I think it will be time well spent. I like the idea you have mechanical abilities. If you can work on $80 million aircraft, you can certainly work on a truck. It is a good talent to have when you own trucks.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:28 AM
Board Regular

What are you looking to get out of this?

Do you have a computer and scanner in your truck?
Old 05-09-2015, 01:04 PM
Rookie

Have you checked out local companies in the salt lake area? , I have found that some don't require a lot of experience, what type of freight do you want to haul, what is more important to you money or hometime?
Old 05-16-2015, 04:15 PM
Rookie

Call me 7752910986
Old 06-06-2015, 09:22 PM
Rookie

Contact me, let's see if we can figure something out: Frank-337-422-8183 or [email protected]
Old 07-14-2015, 05:03 PM
Rookie

We are based out of Georgia and are currently looking for driver to run under our authority please contact me JD 443-931-8408