Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Sports Talk (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/sports-talk-21/)
-   -   Ou football (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/sports-talk/41458-ou-football.html)

robertt 07-01-2011 08:32 PM

Ou football

Just kind of sharing a little "moment".

My son and I had to go to Norman the other day to get his glasses fixed. When we were finished, we went on down to the OU campus cause it's just 4 or 5 blocks away and I always have to drive around the stadium when I'm down that way.:thumbsup:

Anyhoo, we were driving around the south side of the stadium where the practice fields are and some of the guy's were out practicing, so I asked my son, who's 5, if he wanted to get out and watch for a little while. Well the fields are surrounded by Holly bushes so it's hard to get a descent vantage point. We were walking down the sidewalk and one of the players stopped and said to my son, "what's up my man". If you could have seen the look on his face, (my son's;)). I think it was Cameron Kenney, not sure though.

We went on around where they have screening up and it's right at the end zone and that is where they were coming as they were catching passes. There was a pretty big gap there that gave us a great view. Two more of the players caught passes in front of us and took the time to wave and say hi to my son. It was at this moment that my son informed me he wanted to play football for OU. A pretty cool moment.

There was a lot going on under the stadium and I noticed the gates were open. I asked one of the "guy's" if it was OK to go in and show my son. "No problem". We went in and he ran all the way to the top of the south end zone bleachers, which is no small feat. It's a long ways up there. My season tickets were about halfway up and that was far enough up for me to put off going to the bathroom until I couldn't stand it anymore or the game ended, which ever came first:lol:

I just thought with all the CRAP going on in athletics these days that it was a pretty cool afternoon.

Side note: Blake Bell is a S-T-U-D, STUD! :bow: He's the QB recruit out of Wichita. This is his sophmore season. He's HUGE! 6'-6" 245lbs. and he has a cannon for an arm. Didn't see Landry Jones. The Shepard kid, Derrick Sheppards son, out of a local high school here, wasn't even in the same ballpark with Bell.

I'm all fired up now for the season to begin. :popcorn:

Mr. Ford95 07-01-2011 08:49 PM

Hopefully there is a season with all the investigations going on. Now Oregon is suddenly under the microscope even more. I'm thinking of picking up a D-2 team and cheering them on, at least they end up with a real champ via the playoff system they use and you never hear about schools in trouble down there.

robertt 07-01-2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 (Post 499587)
Hopefully there is a season with all the investigations going on. Now Oregon is suddenly under the microscope even more. I'm thinking of picking up a D-2 team and cheering them on, at least they end up with a real champ via the playoff system they use and you never hear about schools in trouble down there.

My D-2 team is the Delaware Blue Hens. I was staioned out there and worked there at the Base in Dover for 20yrs. That's where Joe Flaco came from. There's another QB that came out of there that played in the NFL but I can't remember his name at this moment. It started with a "G". There's a brain teaser for ya.:confused:

Mr. Ford95 07-02-2011 01:21 PM

Your thinking of Rich Gannon.:cool:

robertt 07-02-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 (Post 499615)
Your thinking of Rich Gannon.:cool:

That's the ticket!:thumbsup: Thanks. I guess I could have looked it up. Played for the Viking's for a while. Did you just pull that out of your hat? That's pretty good football knowledge to come up with a D-2 players name like that, especially since it's been a while.

Mr. Ford95 07-02-2011 08:00 PM

Why yes I did Rob. He's their most famous sports alum but Flacco is working on replacing him there.

robertt 07-03-2011 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 (Post 499625)
Why yes I did Rob. He's their most famous sports alum but Flacco is working on replacing him there.

If Flaco keeps going the way he has, it won't take long. When he was still at Delaware and I was watching him, I couldn't remember the last time I saw an arm that strong. He can whiz a football. I have heard guys talk about Favre and the way his throw's always had a "hiss" to them. I imagine Flaco has something of the same thing.

robertt 08-01-2011 02:33 PM

3 DAY'S and COUNTING TILL PRACTICE!!! ALL WILL BE RIGHT IN THE WORLD AGAIN!

Mr. Ford95 08-01-2011 07:56 PM

Hey Rob, what was the deal with OU athletics last week? Was it just the Men's Basketball team that got into trouble? Not good for the other sports, means the NCAA is snooping around Norman. Never have liked Capel, even if his brother did play at UNC, can't stand him still. The VCU fans were so angry when he jetted town suddenly, looks like it was a good thing before he got them into trouble.

robertt 08-01-2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 (Post 501026)
Hey Rob, what was the deal with OU athletics last week? Was it just the Men's Basketball team that got into trouble? Not good for the other sports, means the NCAA is snooping around Norman. Never have liked Capel, even if his brother did play at UNC, can't stand him still. The VCU fans were so angry when he jetted town suddenly, looks like it was a good thing before he got them into trouble.

It was actually an assistant coach. He's not here anymore, he was gone soon after the "revelation" came about. Something about recruiting. Supposedly it was a minor violation and it was self reported so they are trying to downplay it. I'm sure they are trying to keep the tone down since they hired Kruger also. He SEEMS to be the real deal, really involved, and really involves the students and public. They are trying to get started off the right foot, so to speak.

People here couldn't stand Capel either. After Griffin left it was all over. If he couldn't win with that team, he wasn't going to win with any team. I didn't care much for him either, from the beginning I just had a bad vibe about him. Maybe it was the way he left VCU hanging, if he would do it to them he would do it to anybody. Everybody was all wrapped up at first about him playing for coach K, they thought he was going to be a savior. That's about all I know right now. I'll let you know of any breaking developments.

Did I mention there are only 3 day's until practice starts? I'm almost giddy:clap:. It means the cool weather is just around the corner too. Now I know I'm giddy:thumbsup:

Mr. Ford95 08-05-2011 09:28 PM

OU is ranked #1 by the coaches in the first poll.

I seriously cannot believe that Miss St is ranked 20th. FSU #5? Unless the D is expected to carry them all season, they lost Ponder at QB. Maybe Manuel is ready but when he saw action while Ponder was hurt the last two years he was very erratic.

8 teams out of 12 from the SEC are ranked. Outside of Bama and maybe SC, not sure if the others are true contenders. We will find out about LSU in Week 1 when they take on Oregon. I mean, who does Arkansas return?

krunkshine 08-06-2011 02:32 AM

Thats a great story about you and your son! We are all about them Sooners too. My son is in Jenks 5th grade football this year so lots of games to see and do..

robertt 08-06-2011 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krunkshine (Post 501184)
Thats a great story about you and your son! We are all about them Sooners too. My son is in Jenks 5th grade football this year so lots of games to see and do..

That's great. Jenks is a great program, if you can get through the system, that's alot of kids. My old girlfriend and her husband have 2 boys playing there also. I think they are about Jr. High age, 8th grade, somewhere around there.

Jackrabbit379 08-08-2011 08:18 PM

Those are wonderful memories. My dad's brother went to Baylor. He and my dad both are big Baylor fans. I remember going to a couple Baylor games when I was a kid. It was like watching the local high school games, but bigger! :hellno: I'd like to go see another college game.
I did get to see a Dallas Cowboys game once. It was fun, but it was one of those 'one time deals'. People were always getting up, and walking around, and everytime they had a time-out, the guys would come on the field with cameras, and stuff. Lots of distractions. I would probably go more, if I lived closer to DFW, but for now, it's just as nice, sitting at home watching.

Speaking of OU. I listen to a lot of sports talk on the radio, and every one is talking about the BCS already, and they're predicting OU and Bama playing in the big one. (The season hasn't even started yet :lol:)

Mr. Ford95 08-08-2011 08:23 PM

Your exactly right Jack. Bama isn't going to have a cakewalk in the SEC West, LSU could be for real, even Miss St could pull a surprise on them. Last year everyone was talking about Boise or TCU possibly playing for the BCS, instead it was 2 teams nobody predicted would be there at the end. Everyone figured Stanford would come out of the Pac-10 not Oregon and everyone else thought Bama or SC, not Auburn from the SEC.

Jackrabbit379 08-08-2011 08:50 PM

I'm not sure about LSU. I've heard they are overrated, and I've also heard that they might be in a run for the SEC West. Guess I will have to wait for myself.
Speaking of Boise, they and Georgia plays this year. That should be good.

Mr. Ford95 08-09-2011 12:08 AM

Well, we will find out about LSU and Oregon in Week 1. #3 vs #4 right off the bat in Dallas. Simply losing doesn't mean they are out of the picture unless the loser gets crushed.

Jackrabbit379 08-09-2011 04:29 PM

That will be a good test. For both, really.

robertt 08-10-2011 06:23 AM

If we didn't have bad luck we wouldn't have any at all. We lost Travis Lewis, our leading tackler, for 8 weeks we found out today. Broken foot. He should be back by the Texas game. I think they said they were going to bring Nelson up from DB to LB. I'll have to double check. We have had the darndest time with LB's and injury's these past few years.

Yeah, Corey Nelson will take Lewis's place. He's an up and comer and played great last year as a true freshman.

Jackrabbit379 08-10-2011 06:53 PM

I heard that last night. That might throw a kink in OU's defense hose. :lol: That's not good. One thing I've always said about these players. There's a reason why they were recruited. There's always someone else to step up.
Kinda like Colt McCoy. I'm not a UT fan, but I have a lot of friends that are. I remember some were discouraged about McCoy graduating/getting drafted. They were wondering if Gilbert could be the next McCoy. Everyone is different, but there's a reason why Mack Brown recruited Gilbert. Mack Brown aint gonna recruit some bench warmer. Especially, since Texas is the school that has the silver spoon in it's mouth.

robertt 08-20-2011 03:20 PM

WooHoo!:thumbsup:

Oklahoma Sooners No. 1 in AP preseason top 25 college football poll - ESPN

Personally, I think IF, and it's a BIG IF, IF we can get by Florida State, we may be able to do this. Texas will probably be down a little still this year, we have A&M at home, Missouri at home, and Tech at home. The next HUGE test will be @ Ok State. What stinks is that under the "normal" rotation, the way we were going, this years game was suppose to be here in Norman. But because of the re-alignment or losing 2 teams, we have 2yrs in a row @ Ok State. If we are still rolling undefeated then......look out. I expect Ok State will probably have 1 loss maybe 2, @ A&M and maybe @ Tech, they'll be tough road games for them. We have a chance, but anymore "big" injury's and all bet's are off. When we won in 2000 it was becuse we stayed healthy all year, among other things. I'm not going to hold my breath but I may keep my fingers crossed.

Mr. Ford95 08-20-2011 03:56 PM

OU seems to have the easiest path to the BCS Title game outside of maybe Nebraska in the Big Ten if enough teams fall.

robertt 08-20-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 (Post 501954)
OU seems to have the easiest path to the BCS Title game outside of maybe Nebraska in the Big Ten if enough teams fall.

So who's your pick to play in the National Title Game? I'm going to be a homer:love: and go with OU and Bama:jump::clap::cheers::nixon::smokin:

Mr. Ford95 08-20-2011 05:19 PM

If Oregon is still eligible for postseason play then I will go with them to return to the Title game and Bama.

Jackrabbit379 08-21-2011 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertt (Post 501951)
WooHoo!:thumbsup:

Oklahoma Sooners No. 1 in AP preseason top 25 college football poll - ESPN

Personally, I think IF, and it's a BIG IF, IF we can get by Florida State, we may be able to do this. Texas will probably be down a little still this year, we have A&M at home, Missouri at home, and Tech at home. The next HUGE test will be @ Ok State. What stinks is that under the "normal" rotation, the way we were going, this years game was suppose to be here in Norman. But because of the re-alignment or losing 2 teams, we have 2yrs in a row @ Ok State. If we are still rolling undefeated then......look out. I expect Ok State will probably have 1 loss maybe 2, @ A&M and maybe @ Tech, they'll be tough road games for them. We have a chance, but anymore "big" injury's and all bet's are off. When we won in 2000 it was becuse we stayed healthy all year, among other things. I'm not going to hold my breath but I may keep my fingers crossed.

I don't think yall will have to worry about FSU...
Should be a good match up, but I think OU's offense will run away with it in the 4th.

robertt 08-21-2011 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 (Post 502005)
I don't think yall will have to worry about FSU...
Should be a good match up, but I think OU's offense will run away with it in the 4th.

I hope your right. I'm sure a lot will depend on their new QB's play also. If he's a Newton, Young type of QB he could kill us.

robertt 08-21-2011 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 (Post 501957)
If Oregon is still eligible for postseason play then I will go with them to return to the Title game and Bama.

If Oregon makes it through their schedule, they willl deserve it. I think Stanford, Washington and maybe SC will be their toughest games, Cal usually gives them a tussell too. Did Oregon lose a lot of players last year?

Mr. Ford95 08-21-2011 01:58 PM

On Offense, no they didn't. They have their top 2 players back there, not sure on Defense.

Jackrabbit379 08-22-2011 06:35 PM

I've heard that if Auburn gets 7 wins this season, they will be doing good. Sounds funny, them being the defending national champs, but it's pretty common for a team not to be as good as they were a year before.

robertt 09-04-2011 01:39 PM

They have been talking around here about how much traveling David Boren, (OU's President), has been doing lately, flying out on the University's Jet. Boren said on the news last night that OU wasn't going to be the one standing around while everything is happening around them. They said on sportscenter this morning that Texas, Texas Tech, and O-State would go with OU to form the "PAC-16". Boren said he will have a decision within the next 3 weeks. I would think if he has a timetable already set up that a deal has been made and "they" are just waiting for the "particulars" to get worked out.

Pac-16 with Oklahoma Sooners, Texas Longhorns being discussed, source says - ESPN

Mr. Ford95 09-04-2011 09:42 PM

I'm hearing BYU and SMU both join the Big 12 and everything is fine. Ain't buying that though. I would not be surprised if OU looks to the Big 10 instead of going West to the Pac-12. I think Texas ends up as an Indy and that is why they are talking with BYU, not to ask them to join the Big 12 but to ask questions about being an Indy. The rest of the Big 12 teams will just be SOL. It's a real mess in Big 12 country.

robertt 09-04-2011 11:15 PM

It is a mess. I haven't heard anything about OU going to the Big 10, of course, "they" don't ALWAYS check with me before making a decision anyway:roll:, it's so annoying:lol:. I think if we do leave it would be the PAC-12. I guess we'll know in at least 3 weeks.

Mr. Ford95 09-05-2011 09:30 PM

I would not be surprised if OU took OSU, ISU and Mizzou with them wherever they go. Nobody in what's left of the Big 12 are happy with UT. Saw a blurb the other day that said OU or OSU was looking to do their own network TV deal. But, for where they land I would call the Big 10, join back up with Nebraska and some regional battles with Iowa, Minny, etc.

robertt 09-10-2011 01:04 AM

One of our local sports radio guy's got on his soapbox today and really made alot of sense to me. He doesn't unerstand why OU wouldn't want to go to the SEC. Who cares what everybody else is doing. You want to go and compete amongst the best, and OU is ONE of the best. I personally would rather see the Auburn's, LSU's, Georgia's, Tenn's, Florida's of the football world here at Norman than I would with what's available in the PAC-12. Also, playing in the PAC-12 would suck big time as far as kickoff times for us here back in Okielahoma. Like he said, they would be doing their post game shows at 2:00 in the morning back here and who is going to stay up and listen to that? I DO listen to them now but I wouldn't if it was that late.

I just thought he made alot of sense and I think I would rather go to the SEC. Are we going to win the conference championship 7 out of the past 12yrs? Shoot no, but it would be a much better league and a better fit for us I think. We are football crazy around here just like they are down there, but out west, it's just something to do for them. They said less than a 1000 Arizona fans showed up at the O-State game last night for their spanking. Maybe that's why, they knew what was going to happen. Anyway, I'll be pulling for the SEC here at my ranch.

robertt 09-18-2011 06:27 AM

Too close for comfort. A real nail-biter. Of course I missed the last 5 mins cause I was on my way to work, but at least we won. Man those guy's can frustrate the crap out of me. Are we a #1 team? I think Fla State beat themselves, penalties, int's, etc. We were very lucky. If we played a Bama or LSU and we played like we did and they didn't make any mistakes, major ones anyway, we would get a spankin. We have a long way's to go.

Texas looks like they kind of have their act together. Could end up being a better game than what I had thought a couple of weeks ago. Some good games today.

Mr. Ford95 09-18-2011 01:24 PM

Expect a slugfest if OU plays Bama or LSU, real low scoring game. FSU was using a backup QB and hanging on, they had a fabulous D but their O still isn't there. FSU showed they are legit for that lofty preseason ranking. Thought an upset was in the works when they tied the game and forced a tough OU punt out of their own endzone. Instead FSU gave it right back on a unbelievable INT and OU put the nail in the coffin.

Jackrabbit379 09-19-2011 08:15 PM

I got to see some of the 1st half, and most of the 2nd. It stormed here Saturday evening, and my dish kept losing it's signal. :pissedoff: I
In spite of playing at FSU, I thought OU's D did well. There were a couple of plays where OU had blown coverages, but they held their ground, when needed. I think that's the hardest hitting OU D I've seen in a good while. I felt sorry for FSU's receiver that took a facemask in both ear holes. :hellno: I didn't see the hit live, my dish was looking for the signal at that point, but I saw the replay. If those OU defenders did that on purpose, it was uncalled for. I like big hits, but there's no need for that.

As far as OU's O, it looked like they couldn't get their normal hurry up going. They got the job done, but not like they normally do.
I got a little nervous when it was tied up in the 4th.

robertt 10-02-2011 06:05 PM

I think if OU were to get on the field with anybody in the top 5, maybe the top 10, they would get a thourough beat down. They aren't even close to being in the same league with Bama, LSU, Clemson, Auburn, or even Wisconsin......and I'm an OU homer! I've been saying this for years, OU does not play with the same passion that the great teams play with. Sometimes I think they think just because they are OU they are suppose to win, they don't have to "earn" it. They are so Ho-Humm about the way they play and it pizzes me off to no end. I think it is a reflection of their head coach. About the only time you see Stoops get excited is when one of his players does something stupid. I'm not saying Stoops needs to go, they just need a little more excitement in the way they play.

Some of the games I saw saturday left me with my jaw hanging open. There are some great teams out there. When the SEC teams really get into the meat of their schedules with each other it's going to be fun to watch. A&M has an eye opening experience ahead of them. Wisconsin is the REAL deal, on both sides of the ball. Baylor, what can you say, Griffin doesn't throw an INT all year and he chose the wrong time to get his first, K-State deserved the win. Texas looks like they have their act together, I was disappointed in Iowa State, ought to be a good game next Saturday, OU vs Texas. Bama might beat some bad NFL teams, they are amazing, their defense anyway. Hard to believe we've been through 5 weeks already.

Mr. Ford95 10-03-2011 10:45 PM

OU isn't getting any love by the AP. The coaches still like them over LSU but it's much closer this week.

I've noticed the same thing with OU, no killer instinct. They had had from behind and put the boots to Mizzou before letting them back late. Put them out of their misery.

robertt 10-30-2011 08:06 AM

OK....So TT comes in here and humiliates OU on their home field and then they lose the next week to IOWA STATE! 41-7! WTF!!! Georgia Tech hasn't been playing worth a crap the past couple of weeks and they make Clemson look like a Div II school, WTF! Wisconsin....Who I thought would go to the BCS title game, loses 2 in a row, WTF! OU goes to K-State, starts out like gang busters, let K-States QB run all over them for a quarter, then come out and play like the best team in the country! WTF!

A sad side note, we lost Dominique Whaley for the season....broken ankle, and it was ugly. First play of the game and K-States linebacker Brown rolls up on him from behind while he was blocking, man, did it look bad. I feel for Whaley, hopefully he'll come out of this OK.