Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Sports Talk (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/sports-talk-21/)
-   -   Football season! (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/sports-talk/40380-football-season.html)

Jackrabbit379 09-08-2010 07:17 PM

Football season!

It's already here! http://serve.mysmiley.net/confused/confused0066.gif
What do yall think?? As far as the NFL goes, I don't know what to think.. I've never liked preseason. It's hard not to take the preseason games serious. You think, alright!! Or you think, man, we stink!! Sometimes, the teams look really good, and they don't play worth a flop in the regular season, and sometimes teams look terrible during the preseason, and end up in the Super Bowl. It usually takes a couple regular season games to work the bugs out.

Boise St and Virginia Tech was a good one. I didn't see it, but I listened to it on the radio..
Did yall see LSU and North Carolina? :hellno: That was a nail biter.
Last week, all the big boys played cupcakes, and for the most part, the cupcakes did pretty good :lol:. Florida looked like they were struggling a little against Miami OH.
I saw bits n pieces of the Texas/Rice game. Either Rice is gonna be good, or the Longhorns had a problem with a few bugs.
Utah St gave OU a run for their money. :lol:
Oregon beat, who was it, New Mexico? 70something to nothing??
Man! :hellno: :lol:

This week aughta be good. Miami at Ohio St. That will be a good one.
Florida St at OU.
Penn St at Alabama.

Football season is already here, but I'm glad it's here. :smokin:

Mr. Ford95 09-08-2010 08:23 PM

No clue when it comes to the NFL, too many of the guys who end up cut play in preseason so you can never really get a good gauge for the season. I know Miami was what, 4-0 last year in the preseason and they missed the playoffs so it just goes to show that the preseason don't mean jack.

I was shocked at the Oregon score since the supposedly lost their top QB in Masoli due to his off the field problems. I figured they would win 40-10 or something but 72-0?

Surprised by my UNC boys and how they banded together in the 2nd half to rally back and have not 1 but 2 legit shots at winning the game going away from the 6 yard line. I figured with 8 starters missing on D that we would get hammered all night long. We got lucky by getting our 2 MLB's back Saturday morning and so that helped a ton.

Florida and Texas could be in for a rough year. Florida looked horrible against a team that was nearly dead last in all catergories last year and finished 1-11. A lot of it was self-inflicted but if they can't get those problems fixed they will lose more than 2 games. Same with Texas, Rice fought with them hard.

How about the big upset's, North Dakota St and Jacksonville St, both 1-AA teams beat the big boys at the big boys house. Kansas lost to Dakota St and Ole Miss lost to Jacksonville.

GMAN 09-08-2010 09:10 PM

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see any of the games this week, but the Vols did very well under this new coach. 50-0. It wasn't a strong opposition team, but a win is a win. This one was a shutout. Hopefully, they will keep the momentum going. The next two games will give a better feel of what we can expect the rest of the season. Oregon comes up this week with Florida being scheduled for next week.

I don't like cold weather, but I do enjoy college football. I don't care much for the pro's. Why can't we have football when the weather is more temperate?

Mr. Ford95 09-09-2010 12:37 AM

I like Mid-October to early November for football, especially when it's in Chapel Hill, NC amongst the pine trees and oaks at Kenan Stadium. I only like cold weather football when it's snowing, when it's just blustery cold I hate it. Hated it when I was playing also because you had no way of staying warm. Now they have pads you can cool or heat as needed but not 10-15 years ago, the players would have to suffer.

Jackrabbit379 09-10-2010 01:56 AM

GMAN, some of the games that I remembered most were the coldest games. :lol:
I'm not from Tennessee, and I've never been a fan of Tennessee, but I've always liked to watch them. Does that make sense?? I like their traditions, and it seems like it's always a good game when they play at home, at night.
Personally, I think Tennessee has the best fight song. You can hear the whole crowd sing, "Rocky Top, you'll always be... home sweet home to me... good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee."
GMAN, Tennessee played a cupcake, but it is a win. Confidence builder.
I have been a Dallas Cowboys fan all my life. My dad, and his family have been Cowboys fans since they started. But, I've never gotten into other pro teams.

Mr. Ford, I forgot about Kansas and Ole Miss getting beat. :lol: That's what I love about college football; anything can happen!
You brought up a good point on the preseason. I remember in 1988, I think, (Tom Landry's last season) the Cowboys won every preseason game. They won only 1 game in the regular season, and that was against their rival, the Redskins. I watch the preseason, if I can, but I don't live by it. The Cowboys first team offense looks terrible, but it's preseason. :lol: :p

Watching College Game Day, it's funny how it's warm at the beginning, and later on, the guys have their heavy coats on. Sometimes, they are indoors, it's so bad.
I like watching games when it's snowing.

GMAN 09-10-2010 03:15 AM

Tennessee does have a lot of tradition, Jackrabbit. We have over 200 years of them. The University of Tennessee is one of the oldest universities in the nation. It was founded in 1794. That makes for a lot of tradition. There is nothing like being at Neyland Stadium with 106,000 of screaming fans. It is a stadium of orange at game time. I miss going to the games. I used to get season tickets until my wife's health got worse and I started traveling more. It is something to be at the stadium when they start singing "Rocky Top." I remember when I was still in Junior High School many of my classmates would go with their families to Knoxville for the games. They made a family outing on game day. Traditions start early.

The next couple of weeks should be more challenging. I believe we play Oregon on Saturday and Florida next week. Tennessee has gotten off to a good start with their win last week, even though it was not a major team. Like you said, it is a good confidence builder. Hopefully, this new coach will be able to at least get the team back into the top 10. It has been rare that Tennessee has not at least been in the top 10. Of course, win, lose or draw, fans still come out to support the Vols.

The cowboys are one of the few pro teams that I enjoy watching. I still remember Tom Landry and that signature hat he always seem to wear. In fact, I don't remember a time when I saw him without his hat. He was a real gentleman and a great coach. He and my father in law were friends. I still miss seeing him on the sidelines. Nothing seemed to rattle him.

Mr. Ford95 09-10-2010 09:55 AM

Outside of Ohio St, I'd say Tennessee has the best fans around. They live and die with their team but they will not jump ship, they will still support Big Orange through thick and thin.

Jackrabbit379 09-11-2010 01:59 AM

Texas A&M fans are also very faithful. A&M also has a lot of old traditions. Aggies are funny! They may not win a game, but according to the fans, they are going all the way! :lol:

I felt bad for Philip Fulmer, GMAN. One losing season in, what, 15 years (I can't remember how long he was there) and they fired him. :eek1: Maybe there was more to it than I know. I was shocked when he got fired.

When I was a kid, I always thought Tom Landry was mad all the time. It seems like he didn't show much emotion. I just wished Jerry Jones would have given Coach Landry another year with Michael Irvin, and Troy Aikman. Anyway, it's in the past...
Tom Landry is one of the members of the Ring of Honor at Cowboys Stadium. There is a fedora hat beside his name. :thumbsup:

GMAN 09-11-2010 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 (Post 486654)
Texas A&M fans are also very faithful. A&M also has a lot of old traditions. Aggies are funny! They may not win a game, but according to the fans, they are going all the way! :lol:

I felt bad for Philip Fulmer, GMAN. One losing season in, what, 15 years (I can't remember how long he was there) and they fired him. :eek1: Maybe there was more to it than I know. I was shocked when he got fired.

When I was a kid, I always thought Tom Landry was mad all the time. It seems like he didn't show much emotion. I just wished Jerry Jones would have given Coach Landry another year with Michael Irvin, and Troy Aikman. Anyway, it's in the past...
Tom Landry is one of the members of the Ring of Honor at Cowboys Stadium. There is a fedora hat beside his name. :thumbsup:

My wife had a neighbor who was an Aggie. He actually had their war song for a door bell.

Yea, I really felt that Phillip Fulmer got a raw deal. He played football at Tennessee and went to work for the team. He worked his way up the ladder to be the head football coach. I don't think that he has had another job other than in the UT athletic department. The alumni association has not been happy with his performance for the last 2 or 3 years. They are used to having a winning team. Fulmer seemed to have lost heart the last couple of years. It is such a shame. I would have like for him to at least gone out with a winning season. He won't have to worry about money, but I don't think he was in it for the money. He just loved the game and UT. He and Bobby Bowden of Florida State were two of my all time favorite coaches. Both had an easy manner and NEVER criticized the other team. You never heard him say anything negative about his team or that of his competitor. He always had positive things to say about people. It was unusual for a college coach. Bobby Bowden was the same way.

I am glad to hear that about Tom Landry, but I would also have liked for them to have kept him for a while longer. Funny how some people just stick out in your mind.

Jackrabbit379 09-11-2010 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 486661)
My wife had a neighbor who was an Aggie. He actually had their war song for a door bell.

:hellno:
That's crazy. I can't quote the lyrics of the song, but it sure shows that they aren't too fond of the Univeristy of Texas. :lol:

On a side note, I'm watching Houston and UTEP play, and Houston ran a beautiful Statue of Liberty play. Man, it was pretty!

GMAN 09-14-2010 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 (Post 486663)
:hellno:
That's crazy. I can't quote the lyrics of the song, but it sure shows that they aren't too fond of the Univeristy of Texas. :lol:

On a side note, I'm watching Houston and UTEP play, and Houston ran a beautiful Statue of Liberty play. Man, it was pretty!

The Longhorn and Aggie rivalry is comparable to Alabama and Auburn or Tennessee and Florida.

Jackrabbit379 09-14-2010 03:57 PM

Oh yeah. It's huge! There is so much hatred between the two.
Speaking of rivalries, Georgia and Florida. My wife is from south Georgia. I always knew the cocktail party was a rivalry, (like the ones you mentioned) but I didn't realize how much hatred there was. The first year we were married, I was watching Florida and, I believe it was Ole Miss. My wife went through the roof!! She said, "Why are we watching Florida?!?!?! I said, "Well, it's an SEC game. SEC games are always good games." She said, "The only time I want to watch Florida, is when Georgia is kicking their butts!!!" She also said, "I hate Florida. I detest them, and it makes me puke every time I see them." I just sat there, I didn't know what to say! We found another game to watch. :lol: Right then, I figured out that Georgia and Florida was more than just a good rivalry. :lol:
I guess it's kinda like my mom. She cannot stand Texas. She's from Fort Smith. and I guess, I've got the same genes.
I've always had 3 favorite teams. My mom's side of the family is from Fort Smith. Arkansas is my one of my teams. (I guess that's why I've never liked LSU) My dad's dad was from Oklahoma. OU is my other team. My dad's older brother went to Baylor, so my dad has always liked Baylor. I'm not as big of a Baylor fan as my dad, or my uncle, but I've always rooted for them when they play. Especially, Texas. :p

GMAN, you mentioned Bobby Bowden the other day..
I was listening to Tim Brando yesterday. He had Coach Bowden on his show. One thing I remember in the show. Coach Bowden said, "One thing I've always told the kids, is when you hit somebody, undress em. Hit em hard enough to knock off every stitch of their uniform." Then he said, "Somebody asked me one time, 'how do you say that, and be a Christian?' well, I didn't tell em to make an illegal hit. I just said hit em hard." :lol:

Jackrabbit379 09-14-2010 04:10 PM

I was listening to another show yesterday, and a couple of guys were talking about Notre Dame. One of the guys said, "How many times do you go to a restaurant, and there is a sign that says, 'Under new management?'" He also said, "You go inside, and the food is no different, the service is as bad now as it was before. That's the same way with Notre Dame. They have a new coach, but it's still the same team. They're not going to be a top ranked team anytime soon."
I thought, how sad :lol:

I was watching Alabama and Penn St. I figured Penn St would have kept the game tight. James Madison snuck in on Virginia Tech. I guess the Hokies never got over from Boise St. How bout South Dakota? They beat Minnesota. I know Minnesota isn't a top ranked team, but still.. :hellno:
I also saw Miami and Ohio St. Looked like the Canes couldn't get it together. Kept shooting themselves in the foot. Their special teams are still hot. Man!

GMAN 09-14-2010 09:37 PM

We have seen quite a few changes in the game the last couple of years. I was not able to see Tennessee play this last week. It is probably just as well with the performance they gave. Our big game with Florida is this week. It should be a good game. All of the SEC teams are very competitive. I think the main reason most of us detest Florida is their attitude. They seem to always want to rub your nose in it. I remember one year when Steve Spurier was still coach. Florida had just beaten Alabama in a close game. I never will forget how he berated his own team for not running up the score. They not only want to beat the other team, but humiliate them. That attitude is probably most responsible for the way most of the other SEC teams and fans see Florida. Phillip Fulmer never tried to run up the score, even when he could. I always respected him for that. Had he done that we would probably have done better with some of the BCS rankings. We have a strong rivalry with Georgia, but it isn't as strong as Florida. I have close ties with Georgia and Tennessee.

My wife loves Texas. She is a 5th or 7th generation native. I would love for Tennessee and Texas to play some time. Two orange teams. Of course, the shades are different, but it could get a bit confusing. I would say that my wife and I would need to sit on opposite sides of the stadium should that happen. :lol:

razorwyr 09-15-2010 05:16 AM

First of all, I have to say GO GATORS!!! Ok, got that out of the way. Sure Florida doesn't look like the Florida of the last few years, but their entire team has been built around one man for the last fours years. Brantley is expected to be great, he did break all of Tebow's high school records. Sure he looks a little rough at the moment, but he will get used to playing on this level quickly. The team may have shot themselves in the foot a few times in the first few games, but despite that they won both by more than 21 points, which is a quality win, despite the fact they aren't SEC quality teams. The true test will be this coming weekend to see if they can play against the big boys. No offense to any Tennessee fans, but the program up there has dropped off a little over the last several years, so I think it will be a good introduction game for Gators into SEC play in this high expectation rebuilding year. Brantley is no where near the size of Tebow and therefore they have to completely change their school of thought down in Gainesville. Sure there have been a few kinks, but I truly believe they are working them out and this team will live up to what it is expected to do. Unfortunately, I do see them dropping the one in Tuscaloosa, but I don't believe either Urban Meyer or Nick Saban can win two in the same year against the other one. So when Alabama meets the boys in blue and orange in Atlanta....GAME ON. Again, this is unfortunate for both school and the SEC as a whole, because yet again the SEC will beat itself up and take all the teams in the South out of contention by the computers.

I believe Ohio State is a little over-rated this year and see them losing one if not two this year, leaving my prediction of a non-BCS BCS National Title game featuring TCU vs Boise State and the Broncos taking home the trophy to plant on their blue field.

GMAN 09-15-2010 12:57 PM

Unfortunately, Tennessee has been off the last few years. The program is in a rebuilding stage. There have been a lot of changes in the staff. This is the second coaching change since Phillip Fulmer. The current coach has high expectations. Tennessee alumni and fans are accustomed to having a strong team. I don't see the fans abandoning the Vols, but they are not going to be too patient if the team doesn't turn around soon. The alumni association was not at all happy with Fulmer the last 2 or 3 years of his tenure. The football team makes a lot of money for the university. Anyone who coaches is expected to function at a high level of competency. This weekend we will see how well they will likely perform the rest of the season. Several of the SEC teams are in a rebuilding mode. I am anxious for them to get back to the level of performance we expect of them.

Roadhog 09-15-2010 04:13 PM

Any team outside of Michigan... or Green Bay, Wizz, are nothing but a bunch of prancing Nancy's.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...0/images-2.jpg

Sure... you win a few games, but your teams all act like a bunch of bitchy little girls...
and the fans whine like babies... whenever the temperature drops below 0.

Sharlie 09-15-2010 11:00 PM

Ohio State all the way this year! Their quarter back is talented, for sure.

Buckeye Baby all the way!

Mr. Ford95 09-16-2010 08:30 PM

Wasn't too impressed with OSU against Miami. Miami handed them the ball 6 times inside the 30 yard line, very short fields, and all OSU could muster was 2 TD's and 3 FG's. OSU's Special Teams gave up 2 TD's, 1 punt return and 1 kickoff return. Miami played right with OSU, they had 4 turnovers to OSU's 0 which is what cost them. OSU should have put them away the last 7 minutes of the 2nd quarter when they had the ball 3 times inside the Miami 28 yard line to start.

Jackrabbit379 09-17-2010 09:11 PM

I'm kinda thinking the same thing, Mr. Ford. I know Miami has one of the fastest defenses, but I figured Ohio St would have been up by 40 points at the half, from the way Harris was giving them the ball right back. You take away those picks that Harris threw, and it's a different ball game.

Georgia and Arkansas play this week. It's gonna be a house divided. :lol:
Texas, and Texas Tech play saturday night. That one should be interesting.

GMAN 09-17-2010 09:55 PM

No division here. Hopefully, Tennessee will beat Florida on Saturday. GO VOLS!! :clap:

Jackrabbit379 09-17-2010 10:12 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing an upset!

Jackrabbit379 09-18-2010 04:42 AM

Hey, I've got a question....

What do yall think about the dude (can't remember his name) from Detroit that caught the TD pass in the endzone and they called it incomplete??
Me personally, I'd say it was a catch. He had both feet in, and he crossed the plain and the ball was secure in his hands. Once he hit the ground, the play was done/over. Touchdown.
Here's my question; what if he would have "pitched" the ball to the ref, like a lot of guys do?? Or.. what if he would have spiked the ball, or thrown it into the stands, right before he hit the turf?? Would that still been a catch?

razorwyr 09-19-2010 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 (Post 487053)
Hey, I've got a question....

What do yall think about the dude (can't remember his name) from Detroit that caught the TD pass in the endzone and they called it incomplete??

First and foremost, as a Chicago Bears fan, I have to say it was incomplete, we win. However, if I were just an unbias person watching the game, I'd have to say it was a catch, TD, and Detroit wins. That being said, according to the rules it was indeed incomplete, even though you wouldn't think so. As far as him spiking it or tossing it to the ref, that would have required complete control, which the fact he didn't have that is why it was ruled incomplete, otherwise, that probably WOULD have made a difference.

Mr. Ford95 09-19-2010 02:22 PM

That Detroit-Chicago ending goes back 11 years to the Bucs-Rams playoff game and a catch that was wasn't a catch which led to a rule change/clarification.

Quote:

Following a 30-yard touchdown pass from Rams quarterback Kurt Warner to Ricky Proehl to with 4:44 left in the game to give the Rams a 11-6 lead, Buccaneers quarterback Shaun King leads his team down the field in hopes of scoring the winning touchdown.

King complete a 11-yard pass to Bert Emanuel at the Rams’ 22-yard line for a first down with 47 seconds left when the officials in the replay booth stopped play to review Emanuel’s catch. Emanuel had control of the ball the entire time but the nose of the ball touched the ground leading to referee Bill Carollo to overturn the call on the field and ruling it an incomplete pass, making it third down for Tampa at the 33-yard line.

King threw incompletion on third and fourth down, ending the Buccaneers’ chances of advancing to the Super Bowl and allowing the Rams to escape with an 11-6 victory.

During the next offseason, the NFL changed the rules to accompany such a catch as the one Emanuel made in the NFC Championship Game against the Rams.
You have to maintain possession of the ball the entire time. Before 1999, the ruling in the Detroit game would have been a catch because the ground cannot cause an incompletion or fumble. The ground still cannot cause a fumble but it can cause an incomplete pass now. This ruling has happened a few times since 1999 but never at the end of a game like this where it made a difference in the outcome.

GMAN 09-19-2010 02:51 PM

Well, I thought that Tennessee might just win against Florida yesterday. They got off to a strong start and did well until the 4th quarter. After a turnover they seemed to have not been paying attention to what Florida was doing. Tennessee had a lot of penalties. Perhaps it is due to the inexperience of the entire team. Fulmer seemed to have done a better job of getting strong players than the new guy. Hopefully, they will gain some momentum as the season progresses. I still can't believe that they blew it in the 4th quarter. I think the final was 31 to 17. Very disappointing.

I started to watch Texas and Texas Tech after the Tennessee/Florida game, but decided against it.

Mr. Ford95 09-19-2010 07:25 PM

UT is going to be good in a few years. Remember, Dooley came onto the job at the end of recruiting season so he was stuck with whatever Lane Kiffin brought in. He's doing the best he can with what he has and they've been good for the first half of games against Oregon and Florida. Dooley knows he walked into a mess at UT and has stated that a few times. I applaud him for the fight he is getting out of these kids.

How about Oregon, ridiculous scores. Remember their top QB in Masoli was sent packing this past spring...............69-0 over Portland St, can't say they aren't pounding the daylights out of teams they should be pounding the daylights out of.

razorwyr 09-20-2010 03:32 AM

Everyone keeps forgetting how much talent Florida has right now. I understand they are in a "rebuilding year" and that Brantley hasn't shown the potential everyone was expecting, but the man hasn't played football in 3 years. He is a good quarterback if everyone would be a little more patient with him finding his rhythm. He did, afterall, break every single one of Tebow's high school records the following year. Its a little hard to be good at anything when you first start doing it again after having sat on the sidelines for three years, especially when you are trying to fill the shoes that he is. The Gators have really only played three quarters of football this season so far, and look what they have done. Each of their wins, all of the points came in one quarter. They do have the team to beat anyone in the country if the are firing on all cylinders. I just hope they get the kinks worked out before someone that can do some damage to them shows up on the schedule. I know no one has been that impressed with them, which is why they keep falling in the rankings despite winning, but seriously, they play one quarter and win by 21+ the first two games. Then they play a mid-caliber SEC team on the road, play only one quarter again, and still win by 14. Imagine what they will be capable of if they can get it together for 60 minutes.

GMAN 09-20-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 (Post 487130)
UT is going to be good in a few years. Remember, Dooley came onto the job at the end of recruiting season so he was stuck with whatever Lane Kiffin brought in. He's doing the best he can with what he has and they've been good for the first half of games against Oregon and Florida. Dooley knows he walked into a mess at UT and has stated that a few times. I applaud him for the fight he is getting out of these kids.

They still have a lot of work to do. Hopefully, they can get it together. I still can't believe that Tennessee isn't even in the BCS rankings. I think that they will get their rhythm. They have done a good job part of the game, but seemed to have run out of steam. You can tell it is a young team by the way they are playing, but everyone needs to learn.

Jackrabbit379 09-20-2010 07:25 PM

I think what hurt Tennessee the most was the fake punt. 4th and 8, and Florida got 35 yards out of it. I think that's what took the momentum out of the Vols.
Mr. Ford made a very good point. When you get hired to coach a team, you have what the previous coach had. Might be good, or it could be bad. Kinda like that coach that Miami had. He hired on because Butch Davis went to the NFL. He walked into a gold mind. Won a National Title, but then, Miami went to pot the next few years. If this Cooley guy is a good recruiter, Tennessee should be back in a few years.
You didn't miss anything on the Texas/Tech game, GMAN. I watched about 3 and a half quarters and I went to bed. Tech has a guy who is a defensive back, and he had a problem keeping his mouth shut. He gave up 30 yards, because he didn't use his head. One of them was a late hit. In the 3rd quarter, it was 3rd and long for the Longhorns, and Texas passed the ball, but the receiver didn't catch it. The Tech cornerback stood over the Texas kid, and taunted. In other words, Texas got a first down, and then they scored. I went to bed after that. :mad: That loud mouth cost Tech 30 yards, and a touchdown. He wouldn't play for me.

How bout them Cowboys??? :hellno: :roll:

Jackrabbit379 09-20-2010 07:28 PM

I tell ya what's gonna be good--- Alabama and Arkansas play this weekend. If Arkansas can shut down Bama's running game, and if Arkansas can run against Bama, Arkansas should have pretty good chances. :lol:

GMAN 09-20-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 (Post 487188)
I tell ya what's gonna be good--- Alabama and Arkansas play this weekend. If Arkansas can shut down Bama's running game, and if Arkansas can run against Bama, Arkansas should have pretty good chances. :lol:

That should be a good game. Both teams have been doing well this year.

GMAN 09-20-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 (Post 487187)
I think what hurt Tennessee the most was the fake punt. 4th and 8, and Florida got 35 yards out of it. I think that's what took the momentum out of the Vols.

That did seem to take the wind out of their game. There were a couple of other plays right after that which probably helped the to stay off balance.

Mr. Ford made a very good point. When you get hired to coach a team, you have what the previous coach had. Might be good, or it could be bad. Kinda like that coach that Miami had. He hired on because Butch Davis went to the NFL. He walked into a gold mind. Won a National Title, but then, Miami went to pot the next few years. If this Cooley guy is a good recruiter, Tennessee should be back in a few years.

Tennessee needs to get the team organized. It usually takes a little time to get the momentum back up once a team gets down. Recruiting is most of the battle. If you can get good players then it is much easier to build a solid team. I think most of the team is good, just inexperienced. The defense pretty much shut Florida down the first half.

You didn't miss anything on the Texas/Tech game, GMAN. I watched about 3 and a half quarters and I went to bed. Tech has a guy who is a defensive back, and he had a problem keeping his mouth shut. He gave up 30 yards, because he didn't use his head. One of them was a late hit. In the 3rd quarter, it was 3rd and long for the Longhorns, and Texas passed the ball, but the receiver didn't catch it. The Tech cornerback stood over the Texas kid, and taunted. In other words, Texas got a first down, and then they scored. I went to bed after that. :mad: That loud mouth cost Tech 30 yards, and a touchdown. He wouldn't play for me.

I am glad that I didn't waste my time on the game.

How bout them Cowboys??? :hellno: :roll:

I am still a fan of the Cowboys, win or lose. Although, I prefer it when they win. ;)

Jackrabbit379 09-21-2010 03:12 PM

I am too, GMAN. I cheer for the Cowboys, when it's good, and when it's bad. I get aggravated, but I still cheer them on. :lol:
I just hope they can get out of the hole they're in.

Jackrabbit379 09-21-2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 487190)
That should be a good game. Both teams have been doing well this year.

The Arkansas/Alabama game is going to be a good test for the Hogs. It's gonna be a test for the Arkansas defense, and their running offense. Ryan Mallett is an outstanding quarterback, but I'm not sure how well they will run against the Bama defense.

Jackrabbit379 09-23-2010 05:39 PM

Tim Brando has a radio show.
He had some coach on his show, but I'm not sure who it was. Brando wouldn't say his name. Just "hey coach, how bout this" or "well, I tell ya what coach..." I caught the tail-end of the interview. Who ever it was (sounded like an older man) had a deep southern accent. He mentioned something about beating Oklahoma, and then Brando said, "They didn't want to do it again, huh?" The coach said, "No, they wouldn't dare. The kids wanted to keep em on the schedule, but OU never gave us the time of day after that."
Then the coach said, "Once you get bitten by the dog, you aint gonna go back in the yard." :lol: I thought that was pretty good.

Mr. Ford95 09-26-2010 03:09 PM

Man, Arkansas couldn't seal the deal when they had the chance on Bama. Game was a good fight all the way, like a heavy weight title fight. I can't wait for the Auburn-Bama game after watching the Tigers go toe to toe with SC to knock them off. If Bama runs the table in the SEC West they will be without a doubt the #1 team. LSU looks like they are starting to find their way so the SEC West is going to be tough to go thru.

How about Texas getting the snot kicked out of them by UCLA and OU barely escaping a Cincy team that got destroyed by NC St?

Jackrabbit379 09-27-2010 07:44 PM

Is it not crazy?!?!?!?
I tell ya what..That first Arkansas drive blew my mind. I thought,.. oh my gosh!! :hellno:
Arkansas either thought they had the game won at the half, or Bama was goofing off in the 1st half. I think Arkansas gave Bama all they wanted in the 1st half, and then they just layed down in the 2nd half. :hellno:
I believe the Iron Bowl will be one of the best played football games. It usually is, but I think it's gonna be a knock-down drag-out. Hard nose fight. I was amazed how Auburn hung in with ole Ball Coach and the Cocks, and then they won it.. That was somethin!
Yeah, UCLA stuck it to the Horns. I was flipping back and forth. I saw most of it. The Horns got blown out. I don't know who's gonna win the Tex/OU game. I'm not about to try to pick. OU hasn't lost, but they only blew out 1 team, that was FSU. All of the OU wins have been by their chin hair :lol: I dunno who's gonna win that one.

robertt 10-03-2010 12:26 AM

How bout them SOONERS? They give new meaning to the term, "winin ugly"!!! Other than Florida State, we have been sooooo lucky.

Mr. Ford95 10-03-2010 01:54 PM

Some of thoughts from yesterday,

Yes, Oregon is THAT DAYUM good all around. I believe they may be the only team that can hang with Bama. I say that because they run the same offense that Florida runs except that Oregon has the experience and talent. Florida just has the talent right now yet they moved the ball on Bama due to Bama's own inexperience on defense. Oregon also has a D that is lights out when they want to be, they have only given up 7 2nd half points all season.

Florida is THAT DAYUM bad on offense. Bama played like junk in the 2nd half and still rocked Florida. Florida fans ought to be thankful Bama started screwing around in the 2nd half which Saban was not happy about afterwards, face them again and it could be 50-0.

LSU and Florida are/were very overrated. LSU was given a gift by Big Orange, they should not even be ranked, worst 5-0 team in the country. Florida was #7, they played more like a #20 team all around.

I'm starting to like Auburn and what they have going down on The Plains. Funny how the fans love Gene Chizik now, that Iron Bowl is gonna be a slobberknocker.

How about Denard Robinson, The Freak. 2nd play on offense and he takes it 76 yards to the house untouched. Safety had an angle on him and he still toasted him. Ho hum, another record by him as he nearly went for 500 yards of total offense. First player in college football history to have 2 games of 200 yards rushing and passing in a career, he's done it in the same season. IF he doesn't win the Heisman, it's because he got hurt. I'd love to see him split out as a WR and see if he can become a triple threat all by himself.