User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Auburn still under investigation

For the Newton's pay to play scheme. Chizik still on his high horse after taking the National Title decided to lay into the NCAA for not officially declaring their investigation into Auburn over. The NCAA response:
Quote:
“You’ll know when we’re finished,” Roe Lach told Chizik, according to several coaches who were at the meeting, the Times reported. “And we’re not finished.”
Could it be that Auburn is close to having the title stripped by that response?
Old 07-16-2011, 09:24 PM
Senior Board Member

I personally, as an armchair QB, believe Auburn did whatever it was going to take to get Newton to play at Auburn. Look at what his own Dad was doing. Shopping him around and all. Didn't Newton's Dad and other people admit that he was shopping his own son around to the highest bidder?
Old 07-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Board Icon

Daddy dearest did admit to asking for money. He never admitted to receiving any money though. The reason Newton was allowed to keep playing at that time was that his dad told the NCAA that it was his fault and his fault alone, that his son had no clue about it.

Auburn has booster's just like Bama, I guarantee someone paid the money to get him to Auburn because they were tired of losing to Bama along with losing in general. The money was paid, but if it was in cash form in small increments, chances of it being picked up on the NCAA radar, 0%. The excuse of daddy's church getting fixed up and all local red tape disappearing makes zero sense also. When your congregation is so small and you happen to need about $170K, doesn't happen overnight and it's funny how that's about what he was asking for from Miss St.

The NCAA is still smarting from daddy showing up in Arizona IN the stadium when he was supposed to have not been allowed in with Auburn yet Cam Newton knew exactly where he was.............
Old 07-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Senior Board Member

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, it must be a duck
Old 07-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Board Icon

Wanna know something funny, my wife works for a guy who is a HUGE Auburn booster. He is now CEO of Online Resources Corp. During a town hall company meeting where they could ask him anything about his life, he was asked when the company employees would be getting their title rings.:lol: He was also asked if he had found a home near Charlotte yet. He and my wife have talked numerous times over the last year, he knows she went to Miss St so it's a big deal between them over this incident.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Wanna know something funny, my wife works for a guy who is a HUGE Auburn booster. He is now CEO of Online Resources Corp. During a town hall company meeting where they could ask him anything about his life, he was asked when the company employees would be getting their title rings.:lol: He was also asked if he had found a home near Charlotte yet. He and my wife have talked numerous times over the last year, he knows she went to Miss St so it's a big deal between them over this incident.
Good one:thumbsup: I think the SEC folks such as boosters, fans, players, are probably the most fanatical in College Football. I wish people around here, or maybe I should say "more" people around here were as passionate about their team as the SEC folks are. We have our fair share of "passionate" fans but it seems EVERYBODY in the SEC are. Sometimes I think the Oklahoma State fans are more fanatical than the OU fans. Their stadium is about half the size but it seems twice as noisy.

It's funny that depending on where you sit in OU's stadium, it's a COMPLETELY different type of crowd than other parts of the stadium.
You have the folks who sit on the west side under the press box and they are kind of the "golf clap" and only stand up for "great" plays.
Then you have the north end zone and they stay pretty pumped up cause the Chuck Wagon and the guys with the guns hang out down there.
Then you have the student section on the north end of the east side, they are always crazy, along with the band. The south end of the east side are the visitors and it just depends on who the team is.
Then there is the south end zone, my stomping grounds. We do pretty good most of the game, but we have the hand sitters too. For the most part I would give us a B-plus.
By far the loudest, best game I have attended was the Texas Tech game in 09'. It was one of coolest things I have been a part of. The ENTIRE game was spent standing and yelling.
One of the most memorable was the Red River Rivalry when Adrian Peterson was a freshman.

Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Board Icon

The Pokes stadium is vastly different than OU's though. The stands are right on top of the field, as close as the NCAA will allow, and it appears the student sections are the first 10+ rows all the way around the field. Reminds you of Dook's basketball court where they put the student section at both ends and along the side opposite the benches. No wonder you can't hear yourself think inside Cameroon. OU's is much more wide open so the sound escapes. VT used to be a quiet stadium, once they closed off both ends, a 3 story sky scraper on the one end, it got super loud because the sound can't escape.

As for the crowds, UVA is the same way. They call UNC the wine and cheese crowd, no, UVA takes the cake there at least on the gridiron. They also have a ton of armchair QB's/Monday morning coaches. Heck they always were second guessing their most adored coach, George Welsh, it's a wonder he lasted as long as he did. And the boo-birds at their games........against their own team? Sheesh, tough crowd to please man. They boo their own guys if they knee the ball to go to the half even if their up by 50 points.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
The Pokes stadium is vastly different than OU's though. The stands are right on top of the field, as close as the NCAA will allow, and it appears the student sections are the first 10+ rows all the way around the field. Reminds you of Dook's basketball court where they put the student section at both ends and along the side opposite the benches. No wonder you can't hear yourself think inside Cameroon. OU's is much more wide open so the sound escapes. VT used to be a quiet stadium, once they closed off both ends, a 3 story sky scraper on the one end, it got super loud because the sound can't escape.

As for the crowds, UVA is the same way. They call UNC the wine and cheese crowd, no, UVA takes the cake there at least on the gridiron. They also have a ton of armchair QB's/Monday morning coaches. Heck they always were second guessing their most adored coach, George Welsh, it's a wonder he lasted as long as he did. And the boo-birds at their games........against their own team? Sheesh, tough crowd to please man. They boo their own guys if they knee the ball to go to the half even if their up by 50 points.
My sis was down for the weekend and we found ourselves down at Owen field Saturday evening,(don't know how that happened). I was down at field level and got to looking at the sidelines and I think the stands are closer to the bench than OSU's. It's really close. I have had buddies that have sat on the front row by the benches and said they can hear EVERYTHING that goes on, play's being talked about, the other team, a few choice words etc,. I haven't been in OSU's stadium in years, and certainly not since it has been renovated. You are right about "closing" up the end zones. Folks here wish they would close up the south end. I forgot how many seats it would add but Joe Castiglione, the AD, said the reason they don't has something to do with season tickets, which makes no sense. I'll try to dig up the "reason". I wish I could have gone down on the field cause I would have laid down and smelled the grass, but it has alarms on it and I wasn't in the mood to run:lol: Man is it green. It makes it all the more brighter the first 2 or 3 home games once it get's lined with the chalk and Oklahoma insignia's are put in the end zones. It's almost here!
Old 07-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Board Icon

I know when ESPN was at OSU for a game, I think last year, they were making a big deal about how the stands were so close to the field, closer than any other stadium they had been to. You literally have no room to move on the sidelines plus the fans are right there unlike most stadiums. I think Colorado has something very similar along the benches. If you look at Tennessee's Neyland Stadium, the sidelines are very crowded but the seats are not right on top of the field, they are set back about 10 extra feet which is what most stadiums do.

At most stadiums, as long as the crowd is fairly quiet and the band ain't playing, you can hear the coaches and players talking.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
At most stadiums, as long as the crowd is fairly quiet and the band ain't playing, you can hear the coaches and players talking.
I've never been lucky enough to be that close. It's an interesting deal, I'll pay more attention to it this season when I'm watching games.