Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Rules and Regulations and DAC, Oh My (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my-16/)
-   -   What exactly is the 60/70 Rule? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my/32210-what-exactly-60-70-rule.html)

StevenD 02-05-2008 12:04 PM

What exactly is the 60/70 Rule?

Help me out here...if I drive 11 hours each day and am on duty for fourteen, in six days this is 66 hours driving. Don't most drivers experience this? I don't yet understand how the rule applies.

Steve

Rev.Vassago 02-05-2008 12:13 PM

The 60/7 rule means you can only be on duty for 60 hours within a 7 day period, after which point you cannot drive until your hours are below 60 (either with a 34 hour reset, or by waiting for hours to "drop off"). This rule applies to carriers who do not operate 7 days a week.

The 70/8 rule means you can only be on duty for 70 hours within an 8 day period, after which point you cannot drive until your hours are below 70 (either with a 34 hour reset, or by waiting for hours to "drop off"). This rule applies to carriers who operate 7 days a week.

Quote:

Help me out here...if I drive 11 hours each day and am on duty for fourteen, in six days this is 66 hours driving. Don't most drivers experience this? I don't yet understand how the rule applies.
You do not just count driving time - you must count all on duty time. This means any time spent driving and any time spent "on duty (not driving)".

BIG JEEP on 44's 02-05-2008 05:33 PM

60/70 rule ...is the average percentage of b.S. you will be required to endure in a 7 -8 day period . :wink:

mdgardner963 02-09-2008 08:49 PM

Re: What exactly is the 60/70 Rule?

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenD

Steve

Ok here are federal guide lines you get 70 hours in a 8 day period. At any time you Get to 70 hours total driving and working in 7 days in an 8 day period. Then your off untill you get hours back to work or a 34 hour time off duty to restart.. So you can run up to 70 hours in 7 days then on the 8th day have 10 hours back and run them in any way you want..

I think the 60 hour rule deals more with local rules same state driving rule.. Some states Such as California's New rule even go futher 12 hours driving with 4 hours working.. Not sure if it went to 80 hours a week or stuck at 70..

As a Rule i drive 9.5 hours a day unless i am at a pick or delivery i do a pretrip and fuel at same time if i am fueling at the start of my day sometimes i mark it 15 mins at other time it might take me 30 mins.

I try to stay at 9.75 hours a day no matter what that way i never have to stop. Just put the truth down and keep your day as close to 9.75 hours a day and never run out of hours but some days are longer and some shorter. I average 3300 miles a week. running this way since the law changed. I have not had any problems making my deliviers or pick ups on time.. Trip planning were and when you stop is real important. Do not be scared to have you dispatcher change your appointment time..

Be safe a drive smart.. :twisted:

Uturn2001 02-09-2008 10:33 PM

Quote:

The 60/7 rule means you can only be on duty for 60 hours within a 7 day period, after which point you cannot drive until your hours are below 60 (either with a 34 hour reset, or by waiting for hours to "drop off"). This rule applies to carriers who do not operate 7 days a week.

The 70/8 rule means you can only be on duty for 70 hours within an 8 day period, after which point you cannot drive until your hours are below 70 (either with a 34 hour reset, or by waiting for hours to "drop off"). This rule applies to carriers who operate 7 days a week.
Close but not quite.

What the rules say is that once you have been on duty for 60 hours in any 7 day period or 70 hours in any 8 consecutive day period (depending on which rule your employer uses) you can no longer drive until your available hours drop belows the rule limit. You may work more than the 60 or 70 hours during that time frame, but you simply may not drive once you have met or exceeded the limit.

When dealing with the Hours of Service regulations there is one thing to always remember. They only dictate under what terms a driver may operate a CMV. They do not have anything to do with how many hours a driver may work.

VitoCorleone99 02-10-2008 01:36 AM

9.75 x 8 = 78
9.75 x 7 = 68.25

You probably meant 8.75. If you can manage that, it works. My experience has been that, sometimes, you just have to go further in a given day and you have to watch the 70 hours by the end of the 8 days.

Rev.Vassago 02-10-2008 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Quote:

Close but not quite.

What the rules say is that once you have been on duty for 60 hours in any 7 day period or 70 hours in any 8 consecutive day period (depending on which rule your employer uses) you can no longer drive until your available hours drop belows the rule limit. You may work more than the 60 or 70 hours during that time frame, but you simply may not drive once you have met or exceeded the limit.

That's exactly what I said. Just shut up and stop repeating what everyone else says in a thread, until you can come up with an original thought. :roll:

mdgardner963 02-10-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99
9.75 x 8 = 78
9.75 x 7 = 68.25

You probably meant 8.75. If you can manage that, it works. My experience has been that, sometimes, you just have to go further in a given day and you have to watch the 70 hours by the end of the 8 days.

Ok listen up 9.75 x 7 is what you need to worrie about on the 8th DAY you get mach 9.75 hours DUH

VitoCorleone99 02-10-2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdgardner963
Quote:

9.75 x 8 = 78
9.75 x 7 = 68.25

Ok listen up 9.75 x 7 is what you need to worrie about on the 8th DAY you get mach 9.75 hours DUH

Yeah, good luck with that one Einstein. On the 8th day, you would only have 1.75 hours available.

mdgardner963 02-10-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdgardner963
Quote:

9.75 x 8 = 78
9.75 x 7 = 68.25

Yeah, good luck with that one Einstein. On the 8th day, you would only have 1.75 hours available.

Man on the 8th day you get back 9.75 hours it does not count towards you. and that is all i have to say about that.