Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Rules and Regulations and DAC, Oh My (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my-16/)
-   -   What exactly is the 60/70 Rule? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my/32210-what-exactly-60-70-rule.html)

StevenD 02-05-2008 12:04 PM

What exactly is the 60/70 Rule?

Help me out here...if I drive 11 hours each day and am on duty for fourteen, in six days this is 66 hours driving. Don't most drivers experience this? I don't yet understand how the rule applies.

Steve

Rev.Vassago 02-05-2008 12:13 PM

The 60/7 rule means you can only be on duty for 60 hours within a 7 day period, after which point you cannot drive until your hours are below 60 (either with a 34 hour reset, or by waiting for hours to "drop off"). This rule applies to carriers who do not operate 7 days a week.

The 70/8 rule means you can only be on duty for 70 hours within an 8 day period, after which point you cannot drive until your hours are below 70 (either with a 34 hour reset, or by waiting for hours to "drop off"). This rule applies to carriers who operate 7 days a week.

Quote:

Help me out here...if I drive 11 hours each day and am on duty for fourteen, in six days this is 66 hours driving. Don't most drivers experience this? I don't yet understand how the rule applies.
You do not just count driving time - you must count all on duty time. This means any time spent driving and any time spent "on duty (not driving)".

BIG JEEP on 44's 02-05-2008 05:33 PM

60/70 rule ...is the average percentage of b.S. you will be required to endure in a 7 -8 day period . :wink:

mdgardner963 02-09-2008 08:49 PM

Re: What exactly is the 60/70 Rule?

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenD

Steve

Ok here are federal guide lines you get 70 hours in a 8 day period. At any time you Get to 70 hours total driving and working in 7 days in an 8 day period. Then your off untill you get hours back to work or a 34 hour time off duty to restart.. So you can run up to 70 hours in 7 days then on the 8th day have 10 hours back and run them in any way you want..

I think the 60 hour rule deals more with local rules same state driving rule.. Some states Such as California's New rule even go futher 12 hours driving with 4 hours working.. Not sure if it went to 80 hours a week or stuck at 70..

As a Rule i drive 9.5 hours a day unless i am at a pick or delivery i do a pretrip and fuel at same time if i am fueling at the start of my day sometimes i mark it 15 mins at other time it might take me 30 mins.

I try to stay at 9.75 hours a day no matter what that way i never have to stop. Just put the truth down and keep your day as close to 9.75 hours a day and never run out of hours but some days are longer and some shorter. I average 3300 miles a week. running this way since the law changed. I have not had any problems making my deliviers or pick ups on time.. Trip planning were and when you stop is real important. Do not be scared to have you dispatcher change your appointment time..

Be safe a drive smart.. :twisted:

Uturn2001 02-09-2008 10:33 PM

Quote:

The 60/7 rule means you can only be on duty for 60 hours within a 7 day period, after which point you cannot drive until your hours are below 60 (either with a 34 hour reset, or by waiting for hours to "drop off"). This rule applies to carriers who do not operate 7 days a week.

The 70/8 rule means you can only be on duty for 70 hours within an 8 day period, after which point you cannot drive until your hours are below 70 (either with a 34 hour reset, or by waiting for hours to "drop off"). This rule applies to carriers who operate 7 days a week.
Close but not quite.

What the rules say is that once you have been on duty for 60 hours in any 7 day period or 70 hours in any 8 consecutive day period (depending on which rule your employer uses) you can no longer drive until your available hours drop belows the rule limit. You may work more than the 60 or 70 hours during that time frame, but you simply may not drive once you have met or exceeded the limit.

When dealing with the Hours of Service regulations there is one thing to always remember. They only dictate under what terms a driver may operate a CMV. They do not have anything to do with how many hours a driver may work.

VitoCorleone99 02-10-2008 01:36 AM

9.75 x 8 = 78
9.75 x 7 = 68.25

You probably meant 8.75. If you can manage that, it works. My experience has been that, sometimes, you just have to go further in a given day and you have to watch the 70 hours by the end of the 8 days.

Rev.Vassago 02-10-2008 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Quote:

Close but not quite.

What the rules say is that once you have been on duty for 60 hours in any 7 day period or 70 hours in any 8 consecutive day period (depending on which rule your employer uses) you can no longer drive until your available hours drop belows the rule limit. You may work more than the 60 or 70 hours during that time frame, but you simply may not drive once you have met or exceeded the limit.

That's exactly what I said. Just shut up and stop repeating what everyone else says in a thread, until you can come up with an original thought. :roll:

mdgardner963 02-10-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99
9.75 x 8 = 78
9.75 x 7 = 68.25

You probably meant 8.75. If you can manage that, it works. My experience has been that, sometimes, you just have to go further in a given day and you have to watch the 70 hours by the end of the 8 days.

Ok listen up 9.75 x 7 is what you need to worrie about on the 8th DAY you get mach 9.75 hours DUH

VitoCorleone99 02-10-2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdgardner963
Quote:

9.75 x 8 = 78
9.75 x 7 = 68.25

Ok listen up 9.75 x 7 is what you need to worrie about on the 8th DAY you get mach 9.75 hours DUH

Yeah, good luck with that one Einstein. On the 8th day, you would only have 1.75 hours available.

mdgardner963 02-10-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

9.75 x 8 = 78
9.75 x 7 = 68.25

Yeah, good luck with that one Einstein. On the 8th day, you would only have 1.75 hours available.

Man on the 8th day you get back 9.75 hours it does not count towards you. and that is all i have to say about that.

Fredog 02-10-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

9.75 x 8 = 78
9.75 x 7 = 68.25

Man on the 8th day you get back 9.75 hours it does not count towards you. and that is all i have to say about that.

before you go please tell us how you came up with that theory

mdgardner963 02-10-2008 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

9.75 x 8 = 78
9.75 x 7 = 68.25

You know what i don't teach people who do not understand the law.. Go Read the HOS rule. The 8th day DOES Not count towards your hours on the 8th day you get back 9.75 hours Here let me break it down.
day 1 9.75
day 2 9.75
day 3 9.75
day 4 9.75
day 6 9.75
day 7 9.75
= 68.25 hours for 7 days ok how many hours will you have on your 8th day lets see
day 8 you have 9.75 coing back so how many hours do you have 11.50 Gee ya think? NEVER Had a dot ticket in my life DOT does not put up with peeps who cant add. And maybe if you had paid attention in your logging class you would know this is the rule not the exception. Theory ? how about fact before you start sputtering out crud.This is a mad dog. :evil:

Fredog 02-10-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

9.75 x 8 = 78
9.75 x 7 = 68.25

You know what i don't teach people who do not understand the law.. Go Read the HOS rule. The 8th day DOES Not count towards your hours on the 8th day you get back 9.75 hours Here let me break it down.
day 1 9.75
day 2 9.75
day 3 9.75
day 4 9.75
day 6 9.75
day 7 9.75
= 68.25 hours for 7 days ok how many hours will you have on your 8th day lets see
day 8 you have 9.75 coing back so how many hours do you have 11.50 Gee ya think? NEVER Had a dot ticket in my life DOT does not put up with peeps who cant add. And maybe if you had paid attention in your logging class you would know this is the rule not the exception. Theory ? how about fact before you start sputtering out crud.This is a mad dog. :evil:

May not drive after 60/70 hours on duty in 7/8 consecutive days.

* A driver may restart a 7/8 consecutive day period after taking 34 or more consecutive hours off duty.
unless you are a mad dog truckdriver who cant have a conversation without name calling

mdgardner963 02-10-2008 11:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

9.75 x 8 = 78
9.75 x 7 = 68.25

day 1 9.75
day 2 9.75
day 3 9.75
day 4 9.75
day 6 9.75
day 7 9.75

* A driver may restart a 7/8 consecutive day period after taking 34 or more consecutive hours off duty.
unless you are a mad dog truckdriver who cant have a conversation without name calling

All you have done is told a big story how you think its ran.. What i have quoted is the law go look it up better yet stop by the dot office and ask them the 60/70 hour rule the 60 hour rule pertains to intrastate drivers not interstate drivers... 70 hours in 8 days pertains to those otr drivers. Its called 70 hours in 8 days but the rule is 70 in 7 days the 8th day is not considered violated if you have worked less then 70. then the 1st day of the seven day week is what you have comes back to time you can use. I am not name calling names just fustates me when i hear the way some persons think they are 100% correct when they can not understand what i am saying. :twisted: A Good debate is cleaning for the soul. :twisted: ps i did not call you a name at anytime.. :evil:

Fredog 02-11-2008 12:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

9.75 x 8 = 78
9.75 x 7 = 68.25

day 1 9.75
day 2 9.75
day 3 9.75
day 4 9.75
day 6 9.75
day 7 9.75

All you have done is told a big story how you think its ran.. What i have quoted is the law go look it up better yet stop by the dot office and ask them the 60/70 hour rule the 60 hour rule pertains to intrastate drivers not interstate drivers... 70 hours in 8 days pertains to those otr drivers. Its called 70 hours in 8 days but the rule is 70 in 7 days the 8th day is not considered violated if you have worked less then 70. then the 1st day of the seven day week is what you have comes back to time you can use. I am not name calling names just fustates me when i hear the way some persons think they are 100% correct when they can not understand what i am saying. :twisted: A Good debate is cleaning for the soul. :twisted: ps i did not call you a name at anytime.. :evil:

I thought you said they give you back hours on the 8th day, which is not true. anyway, I work 5 days then have 48 hours off, so I dont need to worry about it

Rev.Vassago 02-11-2008 01:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

9.75 x 8 = 78
9.75 x 7 = 68.25

day 1 9.75
day 2 9.75
day 3 9.75
day 4 9.75
day 6 9.75
day 7 9.75

I thought you said they give you back hours on the 8th day, which is not true. anyway, I work 5 days then have 48 hours off, so I dont need to worry about it

I just thought I'd add a post in here to help build up this gigantic quote string going on. :wink:

Scoe 02-11-2008 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

9.75 x 8 = 78
9.75 x 7 = 68.25

day 1 9.75
day 2 9.75
day 3 9.75
day 4 9.75
day 6 9.75
day 7 9.75

I just thought I'd add a post in here to help build up this gigantic quote string going on. :wink:

Knock it off :shock: :wink:

Rev.Vassago 02-11-2008 04:02 AM

ROFL :lol:

mdgardner963 02-11-2008 05:00 PM

I give up your never going to get you just do not understand how otr works .. Ok you beat me i am defeated.. Oh your local now it all makes perfect sense. :twisted: :twisted:

mdgardner963 02-11-2008 05:02 PM

Count the 8th day back into an otr drivers account the hours come back after the 7th day ask anyone please. read the law dot 328.63 the 8th day you get hours back form the 1st day. :twisted:

Rev.Vassago 02-11-2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Count the 8th day back into an otr drivers account the hours come back after the 7th day ask anyone please. read the law dot 328.63 the 8th day you get hours back form the 1st day. :twisted:

8th day available hours is 70-(prior 7 day total). The hours do not come back until the end of the 8th day.

Day 1: 9
Day 2: 8
Day 3: 8
Day 4: 11
Day 5: 10
Day 6: 8
Day 7: 10

Total available hours for day 8 = 6 hours

Day 8: 6

Total hours prior 7 days = 61 hours

Total available hours for day 9 = 9 hours (because day 1 just dropped off on day 9).

You regain your hours on day 9. Plain and simple, you are wrong.

mdgardner963 02-11-2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

8th day available hours is 70-(prior 7 day total). The hours do not come back until the end of the 8th day.

Day 7: 10

Total available hours for day 8 = 6 hours

Day 8: 6

Total hours prior 7 days = 61 hours

Total available hours for day 9 = 9 hours (because day 1 just dropped off on day 9).

You regain your hours on day 9. Plain and simple, you are wrong.

Are you kidding me? Not a clue at all.. I give.. Cant explain the rules to you, your just to smart. maybe its a good thing your not an otr driver...

Rev.Vassago 02-11-2008 10:56 PM

Quote:

Are you kidding me? Not a clue at all.. I give.. Cant explain the rules to you, your just to smart. maybe its a good thing your not an otr driver...

You are hilarious. My source was my log book. You add up the last 7 days, and subtract that total from 70. That is your available hours for day 8. Just so you know, I am looking right at my log book as I type this.

YESTERDAY:
RECAP
Day 7: 10(hours worked yesterday)
6 hours
HOURS WORKED TODAY:
6 hours

TODAY (day 9):

RECAP:
Day 1: 8
Day 3: 11
Day 4: 10
Day 5: 8
Day 6: 10
Day 7: 6 (today)
9 hours

NOW, tell me where that is wrong, since I just took that out of my DOT APPROVED LOGBOOK RECAP :roll:

mdgardner963 02-12-2008 12:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You are hilarious. My source was my log book. You add up the last 7 days, and subtract that total from 70. That is your available hours for day 8. Just so you know, I am looking right at my log book as I type this.

YESTERDAY:
RECAP
Day 7: 10(hours worked yesterday)
6 hours
HOURS WORKED TODAY:
6 hours

TODAY (day 9):

RECAP:
Day 1: 8 - 8 on the 8th day
Day 3: 11
Day 4: 10
Day 5: 8
Day 6: 10
Day 7: 6 (today)
9 hours

NOW, tell me where that is wrong, since I just took that out of my DOT APPROVED LOGBOOK RECAP :roll:

mdgardner963 02-12-2008 12:07 AM

I am sorry what your failing to understand is that the 8th day if your under the 70 then day 1 comes back to you.. i know its hard to understand but its Fed dot rule not mine.

Rev.Vassago 02-12-2008 01:06 AM

Quote:

I am sorry what your failing to understand is that the 8th day if your under the 70 then day 1 comes back to you.. i know its hard to understand but its Fed dot rule not mine.

No, what you are failing to understand is that it is 70 hours in 8 days, not 70 hours in 7 days. Day 1 does not come back until the 9th day.

Cat6869 02-12-2008 02:58 AM

Quote:

When doing your recap if you look at line 1 (hopefully you have the 7 day recap on your log sheet??) on the log sheet you are filling out you will gain what's on line 1 @ midnight (which makes that your 9th day).

So most are telling you correctly but not stressing how you gain that day!

I have power point that might help you understand it a "little" more clearer.

What you should be doing is this: Before you start working every day the recap should be filled out (now many recaps are shown differently on the log sheet so I pray you have the 7 day recap and boxes 1,2 & 3?? However the answer will be the same if you do it on a scrap paper!

So I am getting ready to start working on 2-12-08 but I need to fill out my recap BEFORE I start driving. My last 7 days hours are listed below:

___

Last 7 day total is 56.5

Take 70 minues 56.5 and the answer is 13.5
that means for 2-12 I have 13.5 hours to "work" lines 3 & 4 combined.

Now lets say I work all those 13.5 hours!

At midnight (9th day) I will gain 11 hours, because every night @ midnight you gain the hours that you worked on line 1 Or what you worked 8 days ago!

DOT states you can not work MORE than 70 hours in 8 days! So add up the hours you have worked the last 7 days and today and subtract that from 70 hours and that's how many hours you can legally work right now. Midnight will make them hours change because it's a "new day".

Did this help clarify a little of the dispute without the attacks?
PM me if you would like

bullhauler 02-12-2008 03:19 AM

day 1
11 driving 2hrs to p t and load fuel 13hrs

day 2
11hrs driving 1hr pt fuel 14hrs

day 3
11hrs driving 3hrs pt unload, load fuel.14 hrs

day 4
11 hrs driving 1hrs pt fuel. 13hrs

day 5
5.5hrs driving .5 pt 6 hrs

day1 start time was 6am.
out of hrs at mid day Friday right. 34hr reset good to go 4am sun day
11 driving 1hr pt fuel 74hrs driving and on duty in 7 days why use the 8 day rule. go on blow a hole in it but remember a reset is a reset

Rev.Vassago 02-12-2008 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat6869
Quote:

When doing your recap if you look at line 1 (hopefully you have the 7 day recap on your log sheet??) on the log sheet you are filling out you will gain what's on line 1 @ midnight (which makes that your 9th day).

What you should be doing is this: Before you start working every day the recap should be filled out (now many recaps are shown differently on the log sheet so I pray you have the 7 day recap and boxes 1,2 & 3?? However the answer will be the same if you do it on a scrap paper!

So I am getting ready to start working on 2-12-08 but I need to fill out my recap BEFORE I start driving. My last 7 days hours are listed below:

___

Last 7 day total is 56.5

At midnight (9th day) I will gain 11 hours, because every night @ midnight you gain the hours that you worked on line 1 Or what you worked 8 days ago!

DOT states you can not work MORE than 70 hours in 8 days! So add up the hours you have worked the last 7 days and today and subtract that from 70 hours and that's how many hours you can legally work right now. Midnight will make them hours change because it's a "new day".

PM me if you would like

Isn't that pretty much exactly what I said? :?

VitoCorleone99 02-12-2008 05:10 AM

It doesn't matter how you explain it. The dude thinks the rule says eight days but means seven. That's some brilliant reasoning, as far as I'm concerned.

mdgardner963 02-12-2008 12:09 PM

Like i said before i just do what dot and doj tells me to to do. i have only been doing it for a little while.. same way since the new law took affect. Class of 72

Fredog 02-12-2008 02:39 PM

for the last 10 years, I didnt set my clock ahead when time changed, how ever I did set it back when time changed back, therefore I have gained 20 hours to use as I see fit, so at the end of the 8th day, I still have 20 hours I can work

Rev.Vassago 02-12-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Like i said before i just do what dot and doj tells me to to do. i have only been doing it for a little while.. same way since the new law took affect. Class of 72

Wow - logging incorrectly for 36 years? I have officially lost all faith in the DOT.

mdgardner963 02-12-2008 05:33 PM

Stay local we dun want peeps out here. :P

Cat6869 02-14-2008 03:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

___

Last 7 day total is 56.5

PM me if you would like

I guess, didn't really read what you said! I guess many repeated what you said and many say the same thing only in different words :lol:

Fredog 02-14-2008 12:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

___

Last 7 day total is 56.5

PM me if you would like

I guess, didn't really read what you said! I guess many repeated what you said and many say the same thing only in different words :lol:

I think where the confusion is coming from is that you dont gain back whatever hours you worked on day 1, when you reach midnight at day 8, day one doesnt count anymore because it is now day 9. you dont automatically get back whatever hours you worked, you still can only work 70 in 8 days, the only thing that changes is when day 8 occurs.

you work
day 1 5
day 2 5
day 3 4
day 4 10
day 5 9
day 6 8
day 7 14
leaves 15 available
so you work your full 14 on day 8 total in 8 days 69 hours
now at midnight day one goes away because its now day 9
so now
day 1 5
day 2 4
day 3 10
day 4 9
day 5 8
day 6 10
day 7 10
day 8 10
total 66 hours, available tomorow 4 hours, not the 5 you worked on day 1
so you work those 4, now day one becomes day 9 and no longer counts, so now you have worked 65 hours in 8 days so you have 5 hours left, not the 4 you worked on day 1
does this make any sense at all?

mdgardner963 02-14-2008 02:54 PM

I guess not. How many days in a week?

Fredog 02-14-2008 03:36 PM

Quote:

I guess not. How many days in a week?

it doesnt matter, the rule is last 8 days worked. like in my case. I always go home for the weekend, so I always start out monday with 70 hours available, and I never work 8 days in a row.

golfhobo 02-14-2008 05:24 PM

Quote:

MadDog..... you are wrong, plain and simple..... as you've been told by everyone. First, you quote the wrong reg. In fact, there IS NO reg 328.63! Maybe, you meant 382?? That's controlled substance testing!

Now, the reg is here:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...ction_toc=1940

And it clearly states that you cannot DRIVE if you've been on duty for 70 hours in 8 CONSECUTIVE days. So, yes.... the 8th day's hours DO "count" against your 70!

You don't get back the day 1 (of the PREVIOUS 7) until the END of day 8!!
[That is ONE reason we are required to carry and produce log sheets for the CURRENT day AND the previous 7 days!]

I don't know or care what you've been doing for 36 years..... but, if you've been counting on getting hours back AFTER only 7 days.... you are WRONG.

Perhaps, your reference to the WRONG/nonexistent reg shows that YOU have not kept up with the changing regs concerning HOS.

Now, if you'll READ the reg I cited, and if you STILL don't understand it.... I or others will be GLAD to explain it further. And I think an apology might be in order. :wink:

Hobo [an OTR driver who knows the regs!]

golfhobo 02-14-2008 05:55 PM

MadDog said:

Quote:

You know what i don't teach people who do not understand the law..
Lucky for YOU.... "WE" do!

Quote:

Go Read the HOS rule. The 8th day DOES Not count towards your hours on the 8th day you get back 9.75 hours Here let me break it down.
We've ALL read the regs, and most of us understand them. I suggest YOU go read them. Why would they limit one to 70 hours in 8 days.... and THEN say that the 8th day doesn't count against you? :shock: :roll:

Quote:

DOT does not put up with peeps who cant add.
Apparently, they've put up with YOU all these years. Besides, it's NOT the addition you have a problem with, but the understanding of the reg itself. :wink:

Quote:

And maybe if you had paid attention in your logging class you would know this is the rule not the exception.
Apparently.... YOU are the one who didn't pay attention, or failed to comprehend, your logging class. :roll:

Quote:

All you have done is told a big story how you think its ran.. What i have quoted is the law go look it up better yet stop by the dot office and ask them
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:

The 60 hour rule pertains to intrastate drivers not interstate drivers... 70 hours in 8 days pertains to those otr drivers.
This, too, is absolutely false and without basis. Do I need to explain?? :roll:

Quote:

Its called 70 hours in 8 days but the rule is 70 in 7 days the 8th day is not considered violated if you have worked less then 70. then the 1st day of the seven day week is what you have comes back to time you can use.
You're RIGHT (sort of.) The 8th day is not violated IF you haven't worked more than 70 in THE EIGHT DAYS!

Quote:

I am not name calling names just fustates me when i hear the way some persons think they are 100% correct when they can not understand what i am saying. :twisted:
Oh, we ALL understand what you are saying!! We also understand that you are CONFUSED..... and that frustrates US!