Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Rules and Regulations and DAC, Oh My (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my-16/)
-   -   Failed pre-employment drug screen (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my/18971-failed-pre-employment-drug-screen.html)

mpwelsh007 07-23-2006 04:14 AM

Failed pre-employment drug screen

OK. here's the deal. i am having an argument with another guy on classadrivers about this subject.

if you fail a pre-employment drug test, it will not go on you dac report because you are not employed by that company, hence pre-employment. he says that it will be on the dac report. i say it will not be on the dac report.

which is true?

worldisnotenough 07-23-2006 04:17 AM

I think it will be. One of the most prominent questions on any application is "have you ever failed a pre-employment drug screen?" I am pretty sure they report if you have.

Fozzy 07-23-2006 04:24 AM

Why wouldnt it? Although you are not techincally employed during the orientation, you are taking a federally mandated drug screen that they are paying for. They are offering you employment on condition that you can pass the physical and drug screen, If you fail one or both, they should have the right to place this information in the DAC. It's not a lie, it's not libel, its the truth.

mpwelsh007 07-23-2006 04:25 AM

just because a job application asks if you have ever failed a drug test does not answer the question of whether it goes on your dac or not. why would they report it to dac if you are not an employee of theirs?

worldisnotenough 07-23-2006 04:30 AM

I believe when you fill out a application for companies the information you enter is put on the dac when they request your dac. Just like a credit bureau updates your phone and address each time they request a credit check!

mpwelsh007 07-23-2006 04:34 AM

it is obvious that if one is to fail a drug screen while you are employed with the company then it would go on the DAC for sure. i believe that if you have not been hired by the company, PRE-employment, and you fail the PRE-employment drug screen you are just disqualified for the position. i don't think that would be reported to DAC. why would they? you are not employed by them. you are nothing to them, just an applicant.

worldisnotenough 07-23-2006 04:40 AM

okay fine. I have posted what I believe to be the truth in this matter. I could be wrong but I have talked to others about this and I believe the industry as a whole follows the procedures I have stated. If you want to say I am wrong, that is fine. I personally would not want to chance it though. If you read all the post's of people going to orientation and training only to get a bus ticket back home if they are lucky because they didn't disclose something about something like this. Just my opinion but I tend to believe that you walk by the truth in such things and not doing so possibly can lead to problematic actions.

Rokk 07-23-2006 04:46 AM

however, when you apply with any trucking compay, you sign a release form that covers Alchohol and drug reporting from previous history.

Yes if you fail a pre-employment drug screen even a conditional one, it is reported to dac. it becomes part of your permanent record. an employer explained this proccess one time and he stated, its the companies position to report it, so that other prospective companies have this information.

steps further, if a company registers you for orientation, and you dont show up, that also goes on your dac as a no show if they are a dac reporting company. these types of instances happen to drivers all the time, not because they wanted to work for a company, but because they even so much as talked to a recruiter on the pjone for a company, then an over zealous recruiter sets them up unknown to the prospective driver. the driver generally doesnt find this out until later down the road when he shows up for an orientation at another company of his own choosing. its instances such as this that can cause driver havoc trying to get junk like this off your dac.

as for the drug tes and pre-employment. if you fail it at orientation, its on the dac from then on out. the trucking companies help police each other via dac. they are going to report the failure and kick you out of orientation.

Rawlco 07-23-2006 05:00 AM

Once you show up at orientation you are officially hired by the company. In order to drive you must then pass all of the requirements. They aren't going to spend any money on you until you are hired and physically present. Once it is their money being spent on you they can report the results to anyone that asks.

Look at it this way. Pre-employment stuff is what can be taken care of by phone, e-mail, or fax. If it really was a "pre-employment" drug screen then you would need to send in a sample with your application. :lol:

Here is the easy solution: Don't fail any drug tests. It isn't rocket science. :roll:

Fozzy 07-23-2006 05:13 AM

Why shouldn't a failed drug test be put on a DAC? Think of the money saved by other companies and the safety issue of keeping some low forehead druggie off the road? I think its more a professional etiquette thing. It makes perfect sense for these companies to protect each other and the motoring public from someone so stupid as to show up to a interview with drugs in their systems. :P