User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hernia

Hi, I have an umbilical hernia which I had repaired once but has returned, I saw a surgeon and he told me I can have it repaired again or let it go. If I had it repaired again they would have to use mesh to repair it. Anyway I was wondering if anyone every had a hernia repaired with mesh and how are you now, the reason I ask is I have read alot of horror stories regarding mesh repairs. If I decide not to have it fixed can I still pass a dot physical or am I disqualified to drive. I have read the DOT requirements for pass a physical and they do mention a hernia as a disqualification. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Funny you should ask. I just had double Inguinal herina repair, both with mesh. As far as how I'm doing....... not to good, but I just had it done Wend. morning. :lol: As far as DOT: Mine were found during a DOT physical. ( well one was ) and I was hired ( twice ). I think a lot will depend on the driving job you will be doing ( un-loading ect... ).
Old 09-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Senior Board Member

I hope you get to feeling 100 percent very soon Ridge Runner.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:45 AM
Senior Board Member

tradesman

I had one repaired with the mesh about 3 years ago when i was 21 years old. It wasnt too bad but i was out of work for 2 months. Only cuz i drove a honey dipper (septic truck). Dragging hoses and lifting septic tanks lids around 100lbs. If you are just driving the downtime aint bad. But i never had no problems at all.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 09-02-2008, 12:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Seems to me I remember Slimland posting about a major problem with a hernia repair, but that was a while ago and I can't recall the details.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Yes I had a direct and Indirect hernia.. in 2004.. Recieved my first sugery in January of 2005, A keyhole mesh was put in for the direct.. which kept the intestins from going into the scrotum.. then a mesh plug was put in the indirect, IE Inguinial canal, then a mesh was put over the incision..

I had pain constant, had another sugery if July of 2005, this was to see what was giving the pain.. The mesh was trimmed, and the illoguiatical nerves?????????? where removed, and some others burned..

Still no luck, they diagnosed me with neuropathy.. Nerve damage.. The pain got so bad.. Felt like someone just constantly kicking me in the nads..

Finaly got a nerve test, "wich I do not recomend" and it showed NO nerve damage.. So the pain was Local which meant the mesh.. 2 cat scans showed fluid collection at the lower left quadrant of the inguinial area.. Exactly where most of the pain was.. and I was loosing blood flow to the left one.. Kinda like when you arm goes to sleep and you move it, It becomes cold..

3rd and last surgery just this past January of 08..
The mesh,plug, and keyhole meshed removed.. I had a allergic reaction..
In this process I lost my left testical, My inguinail nerve. "which grew back" and some muscle mass.. The pain will never leave, cant lift anything more than 20lbs.. and not just nerve damage Now, but gost pains..

So it depends on the person, AND the MESH..
The recalled ones where a patch that have a recoil ring, they would break and poke the intestins or somethings else in the area.. causing even Death..

These are called Kuegal Mesh Patch, or Duvall.. Both made by the same company.. and the most commonly used in YOUR CASE.. So be Carfull

All Mesh is a plastic base, so it is Oil based.. Some people do fine with it, actual most do.. Go figure I am the wierd one..

Hope that helps.. If you want more info, Google Hernia Mesh Lawsuites and recalls..

Slimland
I will be the judge
And the jury

Neil Peart
Old 09-05-2008, 04:11 AM
Rookie

Slimland’s post highlights some good detail and I would suggest researching your options by talking to as many doctors as possible. I had a 35-year old friend (while not subjected to DOT parameters) who had a mesh repair and went on to compete in sprint triathlons and perform medium-heavy construction work without incident. Try to find the best doctor you can afford, it makes a difference!
Old 09-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Rookie

Yes, it is true that hernias are listed as a yes/no question for the physician to note on a DOT physical, but it is not a disqualification. The issue will not be the DOT physical, but the COMPANY physical. So many drivers confuse the two. Most carriers will send you to their own physician to conduct a COMPANY physical. The dot requirements are simply the MINIMUM qualifications that the physician must adhere too. A carrier will also require the physician to certify you as being capable of performing their essential job functions. So in answer to your question about whether a hernia will stop you from being hired.....most likely, yes. A hernia is "a protrusion of a tissue, structure, or part of an organ through the muscular tissue or the membrane by which it is normally contained. The hernia has three parts: the orifice through which it herniates, the hernial sac, and its contents". A carrier can disqualify you during a pre-hire physical until this condition is resolved and almost carriers will. Best wishes on getting it resolved!