User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Snatching your $$$ ??

I just got back to my terminal today and saw my pay stub. They took $464.00 from my check for a tire and wheel that had to be replaced after I curbed the trailer tandems on an 8" to 10" curb coming out of a truck stop at 5:00 am. I was starting to swing wide to make the turn and another truck cut me off so I went straighter than I wanted to. (yes I know, drivers are responsible!) But there was no mention of me being responsible for the cost and I was never advised (or told) this would be deducted from my check ALL AT ONCE!!!

I'm a former Supervisor in the Postal Service and I know labor law requires the employer to provide a letter of indebtedness and then ask the employee how they want to pay the "owed" money back. This wasn't done. So if I raise the amount of hell I want to,.. do you think I'll get any good paying loads??? No! I'm also wondering if there's a DOT violation here somewhere... this company sucks the more I'm around them!
Old 08-17-2008, 03:09 PM
K-Mart Secret Shopper
Senior Board Member

You never know...I was given a truck that had been wrecked before. When I asked about it (because it freaking leaned BAD and I had to hobble it in two nights in a row for a u-joint issue), I was told that a previous driver had a diabetic seizure and was running out of control and that the State Troopers had to shoot out the tires to get it stopped and it rolled. Well, I lost a wheel and took out a traffic light. The company called someone to put the wheel back on. I roaded it back in. Cops documented it as equipment failure, I didn't get a ticket/citation on my record, either. I asked for a different truck and they told me there was nothing wrong with that one. I differed with them. They called it "willful termination" but report me as insubordinate. On my last pay check, the cut my weekly salary in HALF! I felt the burn on that one. I didn't think they could lower your established pay without notice...
Old 08-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMoose
You never know...I was given a truck that had been wrecked before. When I asked about it (because it freaking leaned BAD and I had to hobble it in two nights in a row for a u-joint issue), I was told that a previous driver had a diabetic seizure and was running out of control and that the State Troopers had to shoot out the tires to get it stopped and it rolled. Well, I lost a wheel and took out a traffic light. The company called someone to put the wheel back on. I roaded it back in. Cops documented it as equipment failure, I didn't get a ticket/citation on my record, either. I asked for a different truck and they told me there was nothing wrong with that one. I differed with them. They called it "willful termination" but report me as insubordinate. On my last pay check, the cut my weekly salary in HALF! I felt the burn on that one. I didn't think they could lower your established pay without notice...
Federal Labor Law prohibits management taking an employee's pay without "due process". Having worked for the Postal Service and following the process I know what is "supposed" to be done.

The problem is, this is a small trucking company and even if I'm right, they have the upper hand, they can affect where I would apply elsewhere. I was out of work 5 months so $$$ is low, its not like I can hire an attorney.

The bottom line is your company was wrong to take half your paycheck but they played the gamne and asked you,... what are you going to do about it????
Old 08-17-2008, 03:32 PM
K-Mart Secret Shopper
Senior Board Member

I know...I am filing a complaint with the Dept of Labor Wage and Hour Division. I know it is illegal for them to do that. I did payroll for a number of years. It's whether you want the black ball thrown at you...they know that. It's not the money at this point, I'm tired of getting screwed like that, too. It's the principal. I have kids to support...I have the right to work in a safe environment. They have the obligation to pay me for what I have done at my established rate. We'll see how it goes...I doubt I get very far with it but I AM going to, at the very least, let htem worry about it for a minute.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMoose
I know...I am filing a complaint with the Dept of Labor Wage and Hour Division. I know it is illegal for them to do that. I did payroll for a number of years. It's whether you want the black ball thrown at you...they know that. It's not the money at this point, I'm tired of getting screwed like that, too. It's the principal. I have kids to support...I have the right to work in a safe environment. They have the obligation to pay me for what I have done at my established rate. We'll see how it goes...I doubt I get very far with it but I AM going to, at the very least, let htem worry about it for a minute.
Looks like we're in the same boat kiddo,.. They'll hit my DAC report and make me out to be what I'm not if I raise too much hell. And I'm on my 1st 90 days with them,.. I've let a lot of illegal crap go by, such as being told by the Safety Director to "be creative" when I advised them I didn't have the hours to do an assigned run, so I'm just trying to be a good soldier and get some high dollar runs (they pay aggregate, 27% of the load). But now I don't see much of a future here, I have to figure out how to make the best of it. I looked for work for 5 months, its not there, that's why I turned back to driving....
Old 08-17-2008, 04:12 PM
K-Mart Secret Shopper
Senior Board Member

I hate looking for work. I would rather take a slow, steady job than one that pays big bucks but it's temporary. I don't live in an area where it's easy to get a job, either. Everyone always says...I you can't find a job here, then you don't want to work. It's not always true. I'm lucky that I have something to fall back on...but there are only like a handful of environmental companies here. I just keep my ear to the ground, do what I need to do here and try not to make unnecessary waves.