View Poll Results: Which Medications Shouldn't Drivers Take While Working?
As long as their taking them as prescribed they're fine 3 60.00%
If the medication is legal...don't worry about it. It can't be detected by most carriers anyway. 0 0%
Truckers who are on special medication should have special medical cards if they happen to be on Anti-Depressants, Anti-Psychotics, or Sleep Aids. 2 40.00%
If they don't ask, don't tell them (you'll be fine). Just keep your medication well hidden 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2007, 10:33 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Was I Driving Legal? (while on these medications?)

I didn't realize these meds would be illegal to drive on. I'm on an anti-depressant, 2 anti-psychotics, and a sleeping aid and I thought I was fine. Averitt didn't know I was on them but I made sure and told Swift. I haven't had any accidents or much problem.

My only problem happened when I ran local for Swift. I ran out of my anti-depressant and sleep meds once and that's why I don't work for Swift anymore. I hadnt' been able to get much sleep one day (I ran at night) and showed up for work the next day too tired to drive (after already driving 1.5 hours to the terminal) usually I'm fine when I get there, but this time I just couldn't "wake up". I knew that if I told them I was too tired from the day before and car problems on the way home... I get some kind of punishment. So I tried to push thru it, after hooking up to the trailer and finally pulling out, I realized I just couldn't do it. I felt too weak to even use the clutch let alone getting in and out of the truck all night. I entered the highway and realized I wasn't going as fast as I thought I was, and almost took out a motorcycle!

I immediately took the next exit and went back to the terminal to explain this to the boss. His response was I had enough time to get some sleep after my shift last night regardless of any car problems on the way home. So I was naturally written up. The next day that write up bugged me all day because I'd never been written up before and never before had a reason to be punished from any job in my life. I strived to be the best employee to who ever I worked for, even being honest with them about everything. It didn't occur to me my meds would be a problem.

Now I have no insurance since being out of work on the 10th of May, and can't afford my meds now anyway, and the family is sure feeling it! My wife had to borrow $$ to get a weeks worth so I can focus easier on finding the right driving position for us.

Oddly enough, I do better with my meds when I'm working then when I'm not. I tend to forget them sometimes at home because I get so busy outside with the kids and messing around with the lawn and stuff. I know its because I have a schedule when I'm on the road, and it's difficult for me sometimes to stay on it at home.

Nonetheless, sorry about hijacking the thread if I did. (not even sure I know what "hijacking a thread" means)

If anyone knows where I can get information on the meds that aren't DOT compatable...let me know. I thought all we needed was a note from our doctor saying I was doing fine with them.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:38 AM
Senior Board Member

In all reality there is no such list as prohibited medications per the FMCSA.

What is prohibited is taking certain classes of medications when they are not prescribed to you, as well as any medication that may cause an unsafe condition for you while driving.

Some companies like UsXpress and Schnieder have long lists of medications that they will not allow a driver to take while employed as an operator of a CMV, but this is a company policy, not a DOT one.

Any time you are taking a prescription medication you do however need to notify your company's safety department. Also anytime you are prescribed a medication you need to talk to your doctor about the type of work you do and make sure, medically speaking, that it will not cause a safety issue for you to drive while on this medication.

If the medication is temporary and does cause problems with the job then have your doctor write you a note relieving you of your job while on that medication and give the note to your company. Same thing if it will not cause a problem.

Also have your doctor write a letter stating what you are taking on a permament basis, what it is prescribed for, and that in his opinion it will not cause any safety related problems while you are taking it.

If any of your regular medications might cause a safety issue then talk to your doctor about options that will allow you to continue to work as a CMV driver.

Finally make copies of these letters to keep for your records before giving them to your employer.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:40 AM
Senior Board Member

To answer the question in your headline:

Yes you were driving legal if the medication was prescribed to you, you were taking as prescribed, and the prescribing physician knew what you do for a living and does not feel they present a safety issue.

Also these medications need to be revealed to your company if prescribed after your last DOT physical and revealed to the examing physical if prescribed before your last one and on all future ones so long as you are on them.