User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2007, 03:30 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default HOS for local runs.

Looks like we may have a feeder position open up soon at my center. I hope to grab it and get out of package cars. UPS will pay and put me through training to get my CDL.

My question is on hours of service. My runs would be back and forth from Northern Colorado to Denver. That's around 50 miles one way. So how do hours of service work? Would I have to keep a log book?
Old 03-31-2007, 04:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
e) Short-haul operations.

(e)(1) 100 air-mile radius driver. A driver is exempt from the requirements of §395.8 if:

(e)(1)(i) The driver operates within a 100 air-mile radius of the normal work reporting location;

(e)(1)(ii) The driver, except a driver-salesperson, returns to the work reporting location and is released from work within 12 consecutive hours;

(e)(1)(iii)(A) A property-carrying commercial motor vehicle driver has at least 10 consecutive hours off duty separating each 12 hours on duty;

(e)(1)(iii)(B) A passenger-carrying commercial motor vehicle driver has at least 8 consecutive hours off duty separating each 12 hours on duty;

(e)(1)(iv)(A) A property-carrying commercial motor vehicle driver does not exceed 11 hours maximum driving time following 10 consecutive hours off duty; or

(e)(1)(iv)(B) A passenger-carrying commercial motor vehicle driver does not exceed 10 hours maximum driving time following 8 consecutive hours off duty; and

(e)(1)(v) The motor carrier that employs the driver maintains and retains for a period of 6 months accurate and true time records showing:

(e)(1)(v)(A) The time the driver reports for duty each day;

(e)(1)(v)(B) The total number of hours the driver is on duty each day;

(e)(1)(v)(C) The time the driver is released from duty each day; and

(e)(1)(v)(D) The total time for the preceding 7 days in accordance with §395.8(j)(2) for drivers used for the first time or intermittently.
395.8 deals with the record of duty status (log book), and this reg deals with the exemptions from 395.8.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:14 AM
Board Regular

So I can run 12 hours a day without a log book. Is that right? I'm very green here.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:14 AM
Senior Board Member

In order to run without a logbook, per federal regs for CDL drivers you must:

Stay within a 100 mile radius of your work reporting location.
Return to that location and be released from work within 12 hours of starting the day.
Your employer must have something in place to track how many hours you have worked.
You still are only allowed to drive up to 11 hours in each shift.
You are also still bound by the 60 or 70 hour rule depending on which one your company uses. 60 hour rule can not drive after accumulating 60 hours of work time (driving and on duty) in any consecutive 7 day period and the 70 is can not drive after accumulating more than 70 hours in any consecutive 8 day period.
If you have at least 34 consecutive hours of off duty time you are allowed to restart the 60/70 hour rule.

Before starting you should sit down with your safety manager and discuss the HOS rules that will apply to your job to make sure you fully understand them.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Before starting you should sit down with your safety manager and discuss the HOS rules that will apply to your job to make sure you fully understand them.
You might need to take a copy of the little green book and explain to the man what the HOS rules are too. My brief stint as a 100 air mile driver was a real eye-opener. They thought you could work 16 hours a day, seven days a week, no problem, and wanted you to log it too.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:51 AM
Rookie

I drive everyday from Ft Collins to Denver. I have never had to log it. You will never have to do it either. Like the other post said...you will have to log if you work more than 12 hours, but I imagine that will not happen. Relax and enjoy the drive...if you can with the idiots in Denver.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Senior Board Member

I'd have to agree with Uturn on this because i believe he did post the exact format from the green and white book.

Since Brown67 is within the 100 air mile radius from his home terminal, he can drive all the miles he wants within a 12 hour period as long as he stays within the 100 air mile radius of his home termial.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Senior Board Member

I really didn't see a need for the ho's when I was working local. Being home every night my fiance took care of that.

:lol: :wink: