User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2006, 05:17 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hit and run or not?

Hi guys my friend got into this situation @ Pomona ca , it was late in the night and he got unloaded after 12 hours of wait @ LA times ,he was tired & hungry on his way to the yard he went to local Micky Dee (within two blocks of our yard ) and while taking the exit from there he brushed the lights they got bent, his trailer had a minor scratch , he thought no harm done and went on his merry way as he parked in the yard 2 cruisers came flying and officers came shouting why he was running from law.....? he said he was not running from law .. he did not see them and he just wanted to get to the yard and report the incident (it turned out that Ronald had called cops on him before he could call out or think about it) the cops checked his logs document, truck papers and his Canadian license (they could not figure that one out and called their supervisor on the spot) , He seemed like a nice guy admitted his version of events made a report of this got his signatures on it ...we were watching all the events unfold from our cab ... i wanted to get involved in this and explain his side of the story as he had a hard time explaining himself (English being his second language.....) but decided against it as it would send wrong impression that we were ganging up on the cops and stopping them from doing their duty ....anyways now my concerns are
1) what is the possible outcomes of this report ?
2) if you are in a situation like this what is the best way to handle it?
Old 12-26-2006, 04:07 PM
Default cops

I am not a lawyer but to me I would have stoped and went into the business and told them if they said everything was fine I would have call the police and had them come and I would have also taken some very good pictures.

Slider

Loaded Like A Boxcar, Drive It Like A Stock Car
Old 12-26-2006, 08:49 PM
Senior Board Member

This is a hit and run... The driver who hits something NEVER gets to determine whether or not the damage is "minimal". If he acknowledges that he hit something and "bent" the lights, then he should have stopped and taken his lumps. Lights and signs are worth $$$$$$$$$ and they are not something that can usually laughed off. This one is going to sting!
Old 12-26-2006, 09:03 PM
Board Regular

any time a driver hits something, no matter how minor it is, it is considered an accident and by leaving the scene he did hit and run, he will most likely get a fine, and his insurance will have to pay for the lights that he bent

the best way to handle the situation is to stay put, tell the owner or manager of the store what happend, and call your company right away,
Old 12-29-2006, 06:57 AM

The cops checked his logs document, truck papers and his Canadian license (they could not figure that one out and called their supervisor on the spot) ,

If the truck had Canadian tags on it, it wouldn't have surprised the police a bit if the driver had a Canadian driver's license, they are cops after all.

Now if the driver was in a US base plated unit working out of a yard in California with a Canadian license and the license holder being a non Canadian then this at the very least belongs to my nuts behind the wheel theory.