Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Spec'ing a TRIdem stepdeck (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/40882-specing-tridem-stepdeck.html)

allan5oh 02-02-2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tracer (Post 493159)
I could make more money with a 53, and then get some heavy haul experience with the tridem. Trailers now - even new - are cheaper than mine, thanks to the strong Canadian dollar.

That's part of the problem. You're going to lose a lot of money selling your current trailer, then again when you sell the new trailer.

But if there's a company out there that you would benefit having a 53 foot 17.5 step, it would probably be landstar.

Mackman 02-02-2011 11:53 PM

dont be scared.

2011 TALBERT 2011 Talbert 55 Ton Hydraulic Detachable LowBoy Tr Lowboy For Sale At TruckPaper.com

Buy that and go make the big bucks.

tracer 02-03-2011 02:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an idea that might work for me: keep the same trailer and the same monthly payments, but when I have some extra money, take my 48 ft step to a trailer body shop and get to install the 3rd axle in front of the first one in the group. Then turn the middle axle into a 'lift' axle. In this way I can run the trailer as a 121" tandem spread, or - when it's required - as heavy duty tridem. I had a steel coil package installed on the trailer at the factory, so the frame is very strong. This option might be great for those occasional ultra-heavy loads that pay so well. This investment would also increase the value of the trailer for tax purposes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]675[/ATTACH]

rank 02-03-2011 03:25 AM

Now Tracer......I seem to recall suggesting that you get a 53 and you got a 48. I suggested you not go with the Conestoga and you wound up taking it off. I almost hesitate to do this, for fear that you will do the opposite LOL, but now I am suggesting you take Heavy Duty's advice and stay away from the sloped deck. You can get the front tractor tires up on that top deck.......we do it all the time.

I do like your idea about adding the axle though. However, I don't think I've ever heard of it being done before.

tracer 02-03-2011 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rank (Post 493172)
Now Tracer......I seem to recall suggesting that you get a 53 and you got a 48. I suggested you not go with the Conestoga and you wound up taking it off. I almost hesitate to do this, for fear that you will do the opposite LOL, but now I am suggesting you take Heavy Duty's advice and stay away from the sloped deck. You can get the front tractor tires up on that top deck.......we do it all the time.

I do like your idea about adding the axle though. However, I don't think I've ever heard of it being done before.

Rank, you already have a half of the local Ontario market covered with your 53 ft Wilson that has a 10'1 spread and low deck :) I need to be a little bit different. I probably won't have money for a new trailer but I can improve on my current setup with this extra axle. Now I"m trying to remember what shop I talked about it to ... I know they said it can be done. And the gooseneck stays at 90 degrees ;)

Walking Eagle 02-03-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh (Post 493152)
May not be legal in Canada with #2 and #3 lifted especially if you have a short KP setting.

Used to run into Canada with it to the oil fields and thru to Alaska all the time. Only time would run with both 2 and 3 up was deadheading, never pulled a light enough load to be able to run a single axle :)

tracer 02-03-2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rank (Post 493172)
...You can get the front tractor tires up on that top deck.......we do it all the time...

Do you use portable ramps for that?

bikerboy 02-03-2011 05:32 PM

4 wheel drive tractors should climb right up

Heavy Duty 02-03-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerboy (Post 493186)
4 wheel drive tractors should climb right up

So will Hummers, and most 4wheel drive Army trucks

rank 02-03-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tracer (Post 493185)
Do you use portable ramps for that?

The shipper usually has ramps if they're needed. Yes, most 4 wheel drive tractors will climb up without ramps but you have s deeper drop than most so I don't know about that in your case, and yes we sometimes cobble up some sort of ramp system.....it doesn't take much. A couple of 6x6's and a plank for a ramp. Putting the load levelers at the base of the drop works too....oh yeah, I forgot you sold your levelers. You musta went through a dry box phase or something. :)