Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers
You're on Page 2 of 7
Go to

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Quality Carriers threatening to match logs to satelite transponders (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/35977-quality-carriers-threatening-match-logs-satelite-transponders.html)

Orangetxguy 10-26-2008 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Red Clay Rambler:
I assumed any company that uses Qualcomm/transponders was already doing that.

Originally Posted by :
The last time I had Qualcomm they weren't. A friend of mine used to drive for JB and he was always having trouble with the Qualcomm and logs, so maybe some are.

I stop and go, take breaks, nap, use the internet...it's going to be a pain if I've got to record every little thing I do and it's going to mess with the way I like to drive.

I've been at Miller 18 months. They have matched logs against the QC and fuel receipts the entire time.

lowrange 10-26-2008 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Red Clay Rambler:
I don't think lowrange is interested in cheating, my guess is he doesn't want to fool with having to draw a line for every 15-minute catnap, etc.

Thank you. :thumbsup:

allan5oh 10-26-2008 09:23 AM

Just for the record, I was not accusing anyone of fudging their logbooks.

GMAN 10-26-2008 12:20 PM

There are a number of things a carrier can do with qualcomm. They can check your mpg, average speed and even set your maximum speed. They can give real time locations within minutes. I don't personally care for qualcomm, but when you work for a carrier who does use them and they want to match their records with yours, it is best to work with the system.

lowrange 10-26-2008 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by allan5oh:
Just for the record, I was not accusing anyone of fudging their logbooks.

No, no, don't apologize for accusing me or anyone of fudging the logbook. If we can't tell the truth anonymously on a message board, then...

I look at it like this: which is most important for doing a logbook, a watch or a calculator? If your answer is 'a calculator', you fudge your logbook. But, that doesn't mean you run 3300+ miles per week or that you run 800 miles in a day. What it does mean is that you don't want to spend 10 hours just sitting around all day because you got to your consignee at midnight and began unloading at 7 am.

Walking Eagle 10-26-2008 10:04 PM

Also even if your carrier doesn't compair logs with Qualcom DOT can if they come in to do an audit. They just pick drivers at random and have their past XXX months of Qualcom reading printed out (believe Qualcom "hits" the truck for location every 15 minutes automaticaly, more if dispatcher is watching you, and then you have to explain how you got from Baltimore to Pittsburg in 30 minutes :)

lowrange 10-28-2008 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Walking Eagle:
Also even if your carrier doesn't compair logs with Qualcom DOT can if they come in to do an audit. They just pick drivers at random and have their past XXX months of Qualcom reading printed out (believe Qualcom "hits" the truck for location every 15 minutes automaticaly, more if dispatcher is watching you, and then you have to explain how you got from Baltimore to Pittsburg in 30 minutes :)

Have you ever, ever heard of anyone getting a ticket that way? Even right now, I'm catching up on the internet: this board, a sports board, email... You know, I really don't draw all that many lines... :cool:

BIG JEEP on 44's 10-28-2008 11:58 PM

The DOT can't use the QC against you in court...the qc is not always accurate ...it can lose track of the vehicles location . Unless you're werner an the qc is the log the dot has to go by the drivers log not qc

Walking Eagle 10-29-2008 12:12 AM

Just ask CR England, 1999 they paid $100,000 something fine for letting drivers run illigal logs after DOT checked against QualCom. 2001 CCC $97,000, Oh and you could ask Landstar, couple of years ago the got a hefty one over the trucks that run QualCom, why they got so anal over logs the last few years. They may not go after the driver but they go after the company, and you know that is gona put you right at the top (favorite) spot with dispatch. Right.

rgordon212 10-31-2008 05:07 AM

Log it as you do it..... there is NO reason for you to go over the 14hr rule, and 11hrs is plenty of time to drive during the day. If you think otherwise and you use the excuse "i dont make any money if I dont push it the extra" then you need to find another job because your at the wrong place making the wrong amount of money :)

Just my .02 and i'm sure there will be plenty of you who disagree with me, but the point is to be safe and make it there, even if it's late, than not at all..... work smarter and not harder.