Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Quality Carriers threatening to match logs to satelite transponders (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/35977-quality-carriers-threatening-match-logs-satelite-transponders.html)

marcel27208 02-19-2009 11:59 PM

so does this mean they DONT use qualcomm when auditing??

Hoyt602 02-20-2009 01:17 AM

Does anybody think that if EOBRS become mandatory on all trucks we will see a massive decline in the amount of small trucking companies? I would think that due to the schedule constraints placed on drivers by shippers, only large companies capable of relaying freight could meet specific appt. times and the like. Picture this, you are almost at your delivery, but for some reason you cannot park onsite so you have to find a truckstop or rest area somewhere. Your appt. time is at 0700 and you arrived in town at 0100. You drove from Atlanta to Ft. Lauderdale and it took 10 hours. Now because you stopped your EOBR would show a violation if you moved the truck at 0700. You would have to wait out your 10 hours to 1100. Now you go to the delivery point at 1100, they work you in since you were late and you are finally unloaded at 1700 hrs. Now since you started the truck moving at 1100 after your 10 break you have started your new 10/14, so you now only have 8 hours to go somewhere and pick up and get down the road. Of course this is only if they let you unload that day and didn't say you missed your appt. and come back tomorrow. What about missing crane appointments. I know I've met many cranes and if I was ever late the carrier would be responsible for the crane charges.

I just believe that EOBRS will only benefit large carriers as the smaller companies will starve as being unable to meet stringent p+d times and therefore reduce the amount of revenue acheivable each day. I believe we may have seen some of this when the latest rules came out and you couldn't stop your day. I used to do a linehaul run and would often in the winter need to stop the clock to be able to return to the terminal at night. Giving myself a break in Nashville for an hour or something would allow me to make it back to ATL and the freight would still make service. I was never unsafe or tired. Under the current system I would have to sit somewhere in my daycab for 10 hours because I couldn't make it (time wise) another 30 miles down the road.

If you pay your taxes, don't get tickets or accidents, and know your own limitations and needs, why does the government think they have to watch you? Why does the only class of drivers on the roads that actually receive training need watching? After you get your 4 wheeler license, you never have to receive another second of training ever. You can drive your motorhome for 72 hours straight if you want with no government intervention.

Hopefully the powers that be will get smart and not tweak a system further into a depression. The thought that we'll finally get paid for our time will not happen right away. The price a transportation will go through the roof and low and behold who will pay for it in the end, Joe consumer.

GMAN 02-20-2009 10:12 AM

The EOBR's are not about safety. It is about money and control. If they are successful then the ones likely to be affected most are the smaller carriers. Ironically, most carriers in the U.S. are smaller. Carriers with fewer than 50 trucks haul something like 90% of the freight in the U.S. (This figure is from memory) I see no need for EOBR's to be mandated by the government. If you want to see their reasoning I would check to see who has stock in the companies who manufacture these recorders. If a carrier wants to audit their own trucks that is their right. After all, it is their own equipment. This industry doesn't need more control or regulations but less. The trucking industry spends billions to meet federal and state mandated rules and regulations which do little or nothing for safety. Throw the logs away and you will likely see no difference in safety. You could actually see a more safer industry due to drivers not pushing themselves in order to comply with current hos rules.

heavyhaulerss 02-20-2009 08:44 PM

a friend of mine drove for air products 7 years ago, he had a comp sys in his truck. I guess it was q.c. he said ath the scales the d.o.t could & did take part of the sys into the scale hose & was able to see everything. when he stopped, for how long, speed, e.t.c. that is too scary for me..

avc 02-21-2009 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 439598)
The EOBR's are not about safety. It is about money and control. If they are successful then the ones likely to be affected most are the smaller carriers. Ironically, most carriers in the U.S. are smaller. Carriers with fewer than 50 trucks haul something like 90% of the freight in the U.S. (This figure is from memory) I see no need for EOBR's to be mandated by the government. If you want to see their reasoning I would check to see who has stock in the companies who manufacture these recorders. If a carrier wants to audit their own trucks that is their right. After all, it is their own equipment. This industry doesn't need more control or regulations but less. The trucking industry spends billions to meet federal and state mandated rules and regulations which do little or nothing for safety. Throw the logs away and you will likely see no difference in safety. You could actually see a more safer industry due to drivers not pushing themselves in order to comply with current hos rules.

I agree 1000%, if I am feeling good I keep driving until I need to pull over and take a break, keeping logs breaks the cycle and forces drivers to screw up their internal time clock.

If a man can drive he should be able to drive without a forced break.