Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Parkin and sellin my truck headed to Iraq to drive (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/32905-parkin-sellin-my-truck-headed-iraq-drive.html)

fast forward 03-14-2008 12:34 AM

Parkin and sellin my truck headed to Iraq to drive

I can't take anymore of these fuel prices and the company I am leased to constantly changing everything. first he fires almost the whole office staff then the payroll lady for no reason and almost all the dispatchers. I have had it I have been drivin for over 20 yrs. And I am DONE being an owner operator. I ship out on 03/31/08 to Iraq to drive. Atleast I can make close to or probably more than I will owning my own truck anymore after taxes and fuel they are going to just get worse along with fuel prices. GOOD LUCK TO ALL YOU GUYS keep the rubber side down and try to say NO to cheap freight

Tatertot 03-14-2008 01:11 AM

Are you serious? Can you PM me with the details, says I can't PM without 50 posts. Or post them here plz. I thought about doing that many years back, but never really looked into it.

fast forward 03-14-2008 01:31 AM

go to www.kbrjobs.com and post your resume and keep buggin them you will not get a phone number till they give you one but once that is given to you they tell you to take part in a conference call and then if you're still interested they will send you a hire packet and you need to get alot of stuff done like a dental exam and any dental work before you can go and a background check which they tell you you better write everything down even it is something you didn't know about you can be disqualified and then you fill out some other forms and they schedule you to take a test called a WABI which is a work attitude behavior inventory test which is just a bunch of weird questions about different scenarios on the job. They constantly tell you that you are goin into a war zone and serious injury or death can happen. After you go thru all that then you are flown to Houston TX for 2 weeks for training and go directly from Houston TX to Iraq. $85,700.00 of your income is tax free if you complete your year contract but you do get to come home during your contract you work 4 months and then get 10 days off which you can fly home for. IF you decide that the whole thing isn't for you while over there they will fly you home

Tatertot 03-14-2008 01:56 AM

Great, thanks a lot:)

Just curious, what would the total compensation be per year? $125k, 150k, etc? Thanks.

fast forward 03-14-2008 02:03 AM

12 hrs a day and 7 days a week yes there is alot of overtime but it is all paid in straight time and you get paid once a month direct deposit only into a USA bank account it does equal up to aprox over $150k and there is room to advance within the company. You family if married and does not have health insurance it is mandatory you get health medical from them which is AETNA medical health insurance. Which is flat rate for a family of $500.00 a mnth no matter how many dependants you have. Plus if you would be killed god forbid your spouse gets $50,000.00 in life insurance and 1/2 your salary for the rest of her life

nsxman2001 03-14-2008 03:42 AM

This sounds good but the money is useless if u lose your life over there.

Good luck!

fast forward 03-14-2008 03:47 AM

My wife and kids understand why I am doing this and in my heart and soul the money is only a small part of why I am going over. Not being able to re-enlist I feel in a way I am doing something for my country by supplying our great troops over there. like I told my wife it is an unexplainable calling

BigDiesel 03-14-2008 08:56 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

03-14-2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fast forward
12 hrs a day and 7 days a week yes there is alot of overtime but it is all paid in straight time and you get paid once a month direct deposit only into a USA bank account it does equal up to aprox over $150k and there is room to advance within the company. You family if married and does not have health insurance it is mandatory you get health medical from them which is AETNA medical health insurance. Which is flat rate for a family of $500.00 a mnth no matter how many dependants you have. Plus if you would be killed god forbid your spouse gets $50,000.00 in life insurance and 1/2 your salary for the rest of her life

WHOA !!!!!

I'm over here and have been over here for the last 4 years n your a little off on the figures there dude !!!! Also a little off on a few other things !!!!

fast forward 03-14-2008 03:42 PM

well I am just going off what is in my paperwork from KBR. Are you over there as a private contractor or military? I am just wondering what you have all experienced over there and how it is now

03-14-2008 04:35 PM

Quote:

well I am just going off what is in my paperwork from KBR. Are you over there as a private contractor or military? I am just wondering what you have all experienced over there and how it is now

I'm KBR

Spent the first 3 years running convoy from Baghdad to Kuwait n Back. Became a CC and then got this gig out here dedicated to The Dept of State . As far as the stuff concerning Houston n the training your pretty correct but the money will be about 85 the first year .

Mine is about 94 now it's went up a little each year. When you first get here the liveing conditions may be a little harsh. I spent the first 10 months shareing a room in a barracks with 3 other people !! I didn't get my own room until after that. The only way you will advance will be if your either black or british !!!

Your common everyday white american truck driver is going to stay a truck driver until you leave .. I'm not running this thing into the ground mind you. It's been a blessing for me and like you I heard the call to help with this war effort over here and have learned a lot n done a lot . It's been a good experience over-all that I would do again.

OH and if you get killed yes your wife gets 50 but not half of your pay for the rest of her life (unless Houston changed that ??? witch I seriousely doubt !!) What I've experienced ??? A lot of it I can't talk about but lets just say this listen to what the people in Houston tell you about the violence n when it comes down to you n them that either you will haft to do some-thing or else be at their mercey !!! Do you have any idea what a human being sounds like when it's scraped off of the outside of the truck n falls under the wheels ???

There is virtually no violence here now but that could change ?? I've seen big men break down n cry because they were afraid to go outside the wire. When I came over here I had no-one at home n didn't care what happened outside the wire or anywhere else !!!

MORE QUESTIONS ??

03-14-2008 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ash_ca_la
The only way you will advance will be if your either black or british !!!

Your British?

dollarshort 03-14-2008 09:19 PM

Doesn't really matter what you do cause whether you stay here and drive or go over there and drive it's gonna kill you eventually.

trans3 03-14-2008 09:26 PM

I was there 3.5 years. Wounded my second month there by the prison on sword. Bullet and glass fragments to the face and neck. Got my Defense of Freedom medal 3 years later. Would I go back? Yep. In the process now. I sure wish we were making 125k a year. Mine was about 89k.

fast forward 03-15-2008 03:05 AM

regarding kbr

This is the wife of a driver that is about to go to Iraq. I personally heard from the voice of the recruiter on the phone say that the pay would be anywhere from $95-$150k a year to start. I dont know if you guys are basing your facts off what used to be when they where affiliated with Halliburton. They are no longer in a sister company with them. Kbr is on their own now as of April of 2007. I have asked my questions personally to the recruiter & got my answers. If you can give us some updated answers that have any regards to the year 2008, I as well as my husband would sincerely appreciate it. We seem to be having more trouble with trying to find the cell phone provider that services Iraq than anything else. All the videos & people we talk to have the bad times to share from when the war first started in 2003. We know its a war zone but we want to know if its worth the pay & were trying to find out if they (KBR) are lying to us in any way. Please if you have any FIRST hand knowledge share with us.
Thanks

fast forward 03-15-2008 04:01 AM

I know I saw on my paper work or the KBR benifits site and my recruiter about the 1/2 the salary for life thing once I find it I will cut and paste it here or let you know one way or the other just tryin to locate it

if you guys could help with some insight on what to expect in Houston I would appreciate it greatly. And some info on the being able to fly home for time off , What airline is available out of Iraq or are we able to fly military? Cell phone service on TV you see all these guys talkin on cell phones and people I have talked to over here that have someone over there say they talked on the cell phone all the time any info on that would be helpful too.

I"m lookin forward to all this and trying to make sure I have enough stuff packed and what I might need that I haven't thought of that is not on the packing list from KBR

03-15-2008 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Quote:

Originally Posted by ash_ca_la
The only way you will advance will be if your either black or british !!!

Your British?

Well Oh course there Mate !!! Could'nt you bloody tell that by now !!!!

No I hav'nt advanced much there Steve !!! At least not as much as others that were or are black or british !! They are all a bunch of bloomin ""WANKERS"" they ar !!!

03-15-2008 06:54 AM

Re: regarding kbr

Quote:

This is the wife of a driver that is about to go to Iraq. I personally heard from the voice of the recruiter on the phone say that the pay would be anywhere from $95-$150k a year to start. I dont know if you guys are basing your facts off what used to be when they where affiliated with Halliburton. They are no longer in a sister company with them. Kbr is on their own now as of April of 2007. I have asked my questions personally to the recruiter & got my answers. If you can give us some updated answers that have any regards to the year 2008, I as well as my husband would sincerely appreciate it. We seem to be having more trouble with trying to find the cell phone provider that services Iraq than anything else. All the videos & people we talk to have the bad times to share from when the war first started in 2003. We know its a war zone but we want to know if its worth the pay & were trying to find out if they (KBR) are lying to us in any way. Please if you have any FIRST hand knowledge share with us.
Thanks

What I told you was pretty much the way it was for me at that time and what it is like now. If your husband is going to be a truck driver then that is pretty much what it will be like . There is a guy that just came over here that is working in Taji as a driver and he is sleeping in a old school house divided up into rooms shareing the room with 3 other people the last he told me we all make the same money as a driver !!! If they were paying from 95 to 150 for a driver we would all quit n go back through Houston again just to get a raise don't ya think ??? KBR was allready split from Halliburton when I came over here in 04 !!!

It's a good job n the money is good but it's not in those figures that your being told !!! I was told the same things back then !!! Your Husband will have no expenses over here because they provide you with everything you need to do the job n to survive . There is no American Cell Service over here available to us . After your husband gets here there will be a MWR that will have phones in it and he will need a phone card to use. A stateside phone card will work. I used to get those 1000 min ones from WallMart. Depending on where he is working at he may be able to get a Iraqi Cell Phone that will call the US but it is a lot more per minute to do that ..

Don't try to call him from the States it would be expensive for both of you . Also they have computer set up in the MWR that he can use to communicate with you .. After I finally got my own quarters I was able to set up a Iraqi Internet system for my own laptop that I use to this day to do video calls with my wife in the States. The only difference is that now out here working for the Dept of State I use their cable for my computer n don't haft to pay for it anymore !! So my communication bill is about 0 for now !!!

Don't be afraid it's all pretty calm here now n this is a good job that can really change things for him n you n your life-styles n be a real bennifit for you n him. I have a state-side cell that works over here just like a phone in the states . It's provided by the Dept of Def because of my work location n what I do . It's 914-822-0501 . If you need to talk to me call before 1 pm Central time.

stormothecentury 03-15-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

I personally heard from the voice of the recruiter on the phone say that the pay would be anywhere from $95-$150k a year to start.

Well, there's your problem. You know how you can tell a recruiter's lying to you? Their lips are moving. :lol: :wink:

Seriously, though, I wouldn't believe the numbers (especially given the contrary statements of someone who's actually living it) without it being put in writing. And then I'd still take it with a hefty dose of salt.

03-15-2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormothecentury
Quote:

I personally heard from the voice of the recruiter on the phone say that the pay would be anywhere from $95-$150k a year to start.

Well, there's your problem. You know how you can tell a recruiter's lying to you? Their lips are moving. :lol: :wink:

Seriously, though, I wouldn't believe the numbers (especially given the contrary statements of someone who's actually living it) without it being put in writing. And then I'd still take it with a hefty dose of salt.

If this guy makes 95 to 150 his first year over here I'LL be going back to Houston to do it all over again !!!!

03-15-2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

I know I saw on my paper work or the KBR benifits site and my recruiter about the 1/2 the salary for life thing once I find it I will cut and paste it here or let you know one way or the other just tryin to locate it

if you guys could help with some insight on what to expect in Houston I would appreciate it greatly. And some info on the being able to fly home for time off , What airline is available out of Iraq or are we able to fly military? Cell phone service on TV you see all these guys talkin on cell phones and people I have talked to over here that have someone over there say they talked on the cell phone all the time any info on that would be helpful too.

I"m lookin forward to all this and trying to make sure I have enough stuff packed and what I might need that I haven't thought of that is not on the packing list from KBR

I'd like to see that deal on the 1/2 of salery to the wife !!! I'd be sure n send it to my new bride !!! Everything is provided TV -- Cable -- ect ect . The cell phones are all local Iraqi like I said . bring enough clothes for a week not counting what your wearing . Bring special bath items that you need . Basic bath n personal items are available in the PX but it's all no frills stuff and more expensive than at home . Bring several phone cards like the WallMart ones for 1000 min .

Makeing a call over here out of the MWR is just like makeing a long dist call at home in the States. The food is pretty decent . But they don't have much of any kind of medicine cold allergy headache ect ect ect so if you use that stuff bring it !!! KBR arranges all the airline tickets for you comeing over n also going home for vacations. I have been doing my own for about 3 years now n it saves me money. They give you 850$ for the round trip ticket home n back for 2 of the 3 RNRs but the 3d one they pay the whole fair just like you first flight over here. If I can buy a ticket home for 1100$ and their ticket is 1500$ then I've just saved myself 400$ because they only give us the 850 if they buy it or if I buy it ??? The end of year one or 3d one I usually just let them do it because they pay for the whole thing anyway..

You should get the rest of your family a passport and use this time over here to bring them over n do some really neat vacations on this side of the world !!! I've had some fantastic vacations over here going to Thailand n Mainland China the Phillipines ect ect !!! My new wife is a Chinese Nat'l born n raised in Shanghai China !!! Now she is in Champaign ILL at home !!! Houston will be Houston . I just talked to another guy that had only been here about 36 hours n he spent allmost a month in Houston before they flew him out ????

fast forward 03-15-2008 02:05 PM

ash_ca_la thank you for all your replies and I probably will be callin you with more questions as for the salary thing my paper work says 95-150K depending on overtime. Again everything might look good on paper and by the mouth of my recruiter but the truth will be in my bank account. Which I understand I just did my taxes here on 03/14 and what a joke!!!!!! And if Hillary or Obama get in office I need to do what it takes to protect my family and the tax free thing sounds good and my tax advisor even told me of others who are over there and it right now is the way to go to keep the money I work for. I did a search for cell service and there are a few but HOLY CRAP are they pricey. WAL_MART here I come for phone cards. I am also sure my wife will have some questions for you too. Again Thank You very much for being so helpful will talk again soon. Now I just need to find a buyer for my truck before I leave for Houston which would really help

03-15-2008 03:47 PM

Quote:

ash_ca_la thank you for all your replies and I probably will be callin you with more questions as for the salary thing my paper work says 95-150K depending on overtime. Again everything might look good on paper and by the mouth of my recruiter but the truth will be in my bank account. Which I understand I just did my taxes here on 03/14 and what a joke!!!!!! And if Hillary or Obama get in office I need to do what it takes to protect my family and the tax free thing sounds good and my tax advisor even told me of others who are over there and it right now is the way to go to keep the money I work for. I did a search for cell service and there are a few but HOLY CRAP are they pricey. WAL_MART here I come for phone cards. I am also sure my wife will have some questions for you too. Again Thank You very much for being so helpful will talk again soon. Now I just need to find a buyer for my truck before I leave for Houston which would really help

Not a problem Happy to be of some help to others !!! Unlike 1 person I have recently had the un-pleasant meeting of in another post !!!!

trans3 03-15-2008 05:10 PM

Sorry, you won't make that much. 80k is more like it. Don't forget all of the deductions you will have for r/r's. Cuts your deposit in half. As for the put in writing, forget it. They tell you your base salary, uplift and thats it on your contract. You are only guaranteed 40 hrs. You will average 84 a week though.

BHG0069 03-18-2008 03:29 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxx1Lo8fZwQ

Is it worth it??

After viewing this, I am having second thoughts.

BHG0069 03-18-2008 03:34 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjiGH...eature=related

But this one makes me want to go over there and drive. 8)

trans3 03-18-2008 09:56 PM

That preston video is old. There is much more protection with the convoys now, and all of the escorts have gps.

fast forward 03-19-2008 12:32 AM

the preston wheeler video is 2004 I have communicating with a driver who is over there almost everyday and things have really calmed down over there

bigm3944 03-19-2008 01:29 AM

Do they pay you for your time at Houston and are they strict on the two years experience

03-19-2008 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigm3944
Do they pay you for your time at Houston and are they strict on the two years experience

Unless they have changed it ""NO"" you don't get paid in Houston but they do take care of your expenses ( hotel n trans n food) while your there . I'm not sure about the 2 year thing ???

fast forward 03-19-2008 04:15 PM

from what I know they are pretty strict on the experience issue

wimpy 03-19-2008 10:16 PM

ASH, was wondering... do they let you guys carry any kind of weapon?? (gun, knife, etc)

protrkdriver 03-23-2008 03:36 PM

hey wimpy you left out hamburgers....lol

trans3 03-23-2008 08:39 PM

Your best weapon is your head. Don't lose it. Literally. Stay calm and things will work themselves out. You can carry a knive, but nothing with a blade over 3 inches. Security will come around checking you out sometimes and take them. We used to have dorky drivers wearing them on both legs and secured to their vests. What good is a knife going to do against an AK 47, rpg or ied? Once the shock wears off of the escorts they open up with the saw or 50 cal. that pretty much ends it.

WarHorse 04-04-2008 03:01 AM

I drove for KBR from March through July 2003, then took an administrative assistant position that eventually landed me at Camp Cedar II in Iraq. I was still in transportation and in contact with "my" drivers daily. I kind of felt bad for taking the desk job but my friends told me if I didn't mess up their R&R or pay, they didn't hold it against me. :wink:

It was an interesting time; the insurgency didn't spool up until the end of June and I happened to be in the first convoy ambushed. Most of us didn't even know it until we crossed back into Kuwait as there were no radios in the trucks. The rules changed after that night, and there were fewer trucks in convoys with heavier escorts.

What little information I get from over there now is that the insurgents are too busy shooting each other to bother with the convoys for the most part.

My application with KBR has been updated and once my school tuition is paid off (I had to go through it again - too long off the road) I hope to return. It is most decidedly a grand experience and the pay isn't too shabby. If it has gone up as much as you say, all the better. I have a baby to take care of. (See my avatar.)

Tell your husband to come back here and visit when he can.

Cheers,
WH

Edited: trying to fix the avatar size. :oops:

LifeOfDenial 04-05-2008 10:20 AM

Not sure how accurate this is or if its even real. This was supposedly posted back in October by a KBR Recruiter on http://op-for.com/2007/06/john_wayne_truck_driver.html

Truck Drivers Needed in IRAQ

I have a need for truck drivers with the following skill sets:

CDL, HAZMAT AND TANKER ENDORSEMENTS VALID FOR AT LEAST 1year, 3 YEARS OF OTR EXPIERENCE or other.

You should not have:

MORE THAN 3 MOVING VIOLATIONS IN THE LAST 3 YEARS,NO MORE THEN 2 ACCIDENTS OR CARELESS/RECKLESS IN THE LAST 5 YEARS, NO DUI'S CONVICTIONS IN THE LAST 7 YEARS.

You will be required to pass a drug test and extensive medical screening.

Medical disqualifiers include:

TYPE 1 OR 2 DEABETIC, ANYONE TAKING MEDS FOR ANY TYPE OF DIABETIC CONDITION OR ANYONE WITH ELEVATED BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS.

ANYONE TAKING MEDS FOR DEPRESSION, PSYCHIATRIC, MOOD ALTERING, STRESS REDUCTION, SLEEP AID, ANXIETY, NARCOTICC, AMPHETAMINE, OR BARBITURATE BASED MEDICATIONS. ANYONE THAT REQUIRES USE OF INJECTION TYPE MEDS.
ANYONE DIAGNOSED WITH TERMIAL ILLNESS, ACTIVE CANCER, HEPATITIS, HIV, AND OTHER STD'S.

I AM INTERESTED IN PRESENTNG THIS OPPORTUNITY TO YOU.
FEEL FREE TO CALL ME WITH ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE.
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE NECESSARY ENDORSEMENTS AT THIS TIME I STILL WOULD LIKE TO HEAR IF YOU ARE APPLYING FOR THEM SO I CAN KEEP YOUR INFORMATION ON FILE.

Now for the pay rate!

You will work at least 12 hours a day, 7 days a week; you are a contractor if you work more you can make more.

If you do the minimum you should make around 98k and no one with the same job as you is making any more unless, they are working more hours or driving HET's or convoy commander. Nothing else matters this is a government contract and non negotiatable regardless of experience. There is two different positions one is outside the wire one is inside, inside you will make less money and very few of those become available.
Samuel Rodriguez
Staffing Specialist
KBR Government and Infrastructure
4100 Clinton Dr 03-790A
Houston, TX 77020
(713)753-3696 Office
(713)893-6042 Fax

recruiter · October 9, 2007 09:15 AM

WarHorse 04-19-2008 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeOfDenial
Not sure how accurate this is or if its even real. This was supposedly posted back in October by a KBR Recruiter on http://op-for.com/2007/06/john_wayne_truck_driver.html

Thank you LoD, I've copied what I need.

WH

fast forward 04-27-2008 04:34 PM

well had a passport issue I straightened up and now on May 4th I fly back to hoouston and off to the theater in Iraq as a senior mechanic also known as a recovery driver. I was in Houston for a week and a 1/2 and let me tell you the physical and all the briefings you go thru for a week straight can get quite boring. I met alot of people goin back over to Iraq for a 3rd or 4th time. I have heard from Houston while I was there and seen for my self it is gettin harder and harder for people to get into KBR. As for one question somebody asked about gettin paid for your time in Houston NO you do not get paid you start gettin paid once you are what is called wheels up which refers to once the plane leaves the ground flyin you to Iraq is when you start gettin paid and are considered an actual employee.

fast forward 04-27-2008 04:36 PM

just some information for those interested in drivin over there right now there is a temporary freeze on new drivers goin over into the theater for KBR but there are over 1200 other positions open over there for all kinds of jobs.

LifeOfDenial 05-03-2008 08:02 AM

Hey fast forward what was he final word on the death benefits? Do you know what the freeze is for and about how long it will last? Thanks