Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Anyone use a gasoline generator to heat sleeper/block? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/30496-anyone-use-gasoline-generator-heat-sleeper-block.html)

Mountain Flyer 11-03-2007 02:35 AM

Or you can be a puss like Steve O, and get a fu#4ing whimpy a$$ rigmaster :roll:[/quote]

That dang Steve, he has all the toys...

I appreciate the comments and ideas gents. I believe this idea has potential, and I would go so far as to get a fixed gas tank and mount that between the main rails on my trailer to make it happen. Dunno how to figure out the electric fuel pump you'd need, but I bet it can be done! :?

Doghouse 11-03-2007 02:44 AM

It easy flyer,...just find out how much fuel psi the genny you want runs on, and then get an electric unit that is close,....put on a regulator, and run it till you figure out where to set the regulator at.
I had an old 280z that was fuel injected. I took off the injection system and put on 3 side draft carbs,...it took some time to figure out the correct fuel psi,..but after that is was trouble free, for 50,000miles,....till I sold it anyway.

11-03-2007 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountain Flyer
Or you can be a puss like Steve O, and get a fu#4ing whimpy a$$ rigmaster :roll:

I wasn't expecting that. Got a good laugh.

11-03-2007 12:42 PM

Quote:

Or you can be a puss like Steve O, and get a fu#4ing whimpy a$$ rigmaster :roll:

That dang Steve, he has all the toys...

I appreciate the comments and ideas gents. I believe this idea has potential, and I would go so far as to get a fixed gas tank and mount that between the main rails on my trailer to make it happen. Dunno how to figure out the electric fuel pump you'd need, but I bet it can be done! :?[/quote]

Hello Mountain Flyer

I used a 5000watt coleman gas gen that was mounted on my cat walk for the last 3 years before I came over here and never had any problems with it or with the DOT over it. But like they said it was noisy !!! When I come back home next year it will go in a bax I had made for it and I will pipe the exhaust through the truck exhaust as well. If I was going to do it all again I would buy a diesel gen out of a place in LA that sells them for about 1000$ for a 6500 watt gen then put it in a box on the frame n tie in a line to the truck tank on a small fuel pump with a remote start. I also had a big inverter and used it a lot but here again I will change things and set it up on it's own deep cycle batt that recharge when the truck is running. Household electric in the sleeper opens up a lot of option for you and very quickly pays for it's self. Refrigerator --George Foreman Grill--Coffee Pot--Slow cooker--Electric Skillet ect ect ect just like being at home. Good Luck to you and stay safe !!!!

infrontofu 11-03-2007 03:58 PM

they make a small fuel pump for racing go karts works off vacume from the engine would be perfect for a generator.but a better idea would to buy one of the small quiet generators that runs on diesel.it would last much longer and can be plummed into the trucks tank.i got mine off e bay less then 800 shipped to me 6500 wattsvery quiet with electric start and remote start unit.

special k 11-04-2007 01:37 AM

Don't forget most block heaters draw closer to 1800 watts and the small space heaters for inside the bunk can draw as much as 1500 watts. I ran a 2600 watt Yamaha campground model for a few years and never had a problem with the DOT. Mine was in a ventilated box so most people never knew I even had one. If you're going to run it in the summer you'll have to vent it really well. If I was doing it know I would probably get one of those cheap chinese diesel ones too.

Mountain Flyer 11-04-2007 03:27 AM

in front of you and ashca, do you have any brand name or company links for the units you have? those sound good...

11-04-2007 08:04 AM

Quote:

in front of you and ashca, do you have any brand name or company links for the units you have? those sound good...

I'LL look n see if I can find the name n number for you Mountain Flyer.

infrontofu 11-05-2007 11:34 AM

i dont know the name just search on e bay for diesel generator there are a bunch on there.

ncnewbie 11-05-2007 11:21 PM

Here's a link to some low cost diesel gens with elec start:

http://www.duropower.com/index.asp?F...FQsQUAodPT9gmA