Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Anyone use a gasoline generator to heat sleeper/block? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/30496-anyone-use-gasoline-generator-heat-sleeper-block.html)

Mountain Flyer 11-01-2007 05:39 PM

Anyone use a gasoline generator to heat sleeper/block?

Another option I have been considering is to mount my 3500 watt generator under my trailer. I have a good place to mount it where the old spare tire brackets were (the rack is no longer on the truck). I could weld up a rack to mount it on and carry a couple five gal buckets of fuel alongside it. Then run a cord up to the truck to power a small electric space heater and another to the block heater.

Has anyone tried doing something like this? :roll: :?

BigDiesel 11-01-2007 06:01 PM

DOT might (will ) have a problem with the gasoline can thing for the generator...

Mountain Flyer 11-01-2007 06:35 PM

I wondered about that. I don't know the regs on it offhand. Perhaps if it were "concealed" properly??? 8)

Kurbski 11-01-2007 08:08 PM

Quote: Perhaps if it were "concealed" properly???

This is the kind of stuff that keeps the Fire Depts and Emergency Rooms in business.... if you live through co poisoning, the wreck or a fire. :?

Mountain Flyer 11-01-2007 08:50 PM

Why do you say that Kurbski? Maybe some folks don't have enough sense to properly transport and operate a generator. I have used one for years while camping and see little difference in using it for my truck. But then, I have also survived 28 years as a pilot, 20 years in police work, and 6 years paragliding. Regardless, it could be done safely; would hinge more on what DOT says than anything.

Kurbski 11-01-2007 09:55 PM

That's not the impression I got from you "concealing" it in your post which mentions nothing about safety... So Thats why I posted what I did because exhaust from generators is poisonious.and crashes/fires etc..
That's all. It seemed like a "sneaky post" like your going to hide something from DOT man. No biggie since you posted your resume.

SilverWulf 11-01-2007 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel
DOT might (will ) have a problem with the gasoline can thing for the generator...

Could you point to the regs that apply to gasoline and CMV's?

person 11-01-2007 11:43 PM

I will share a little consultation I did online with an experienced old trucker who runs a Honda 3000
Quote:

I have a Honda 3000is. It is strapped to the truck by two 2 inch rachet straps. DOT has never even looked at it. The wire connections have to look pro. It pretty much runs my stuff and burns probably 2 1/2 gallons for eight to ten hours of air conditioning or heating with a heat pump. I have a large microwave and it will not run 14,000 btu of air conditioning and the microwave at the same time. You would really need a 5000 watt for that heavy of use.
---------------------------------------------------
Yes it is on the catwalk. I have a rubber flap down first to cusion it from the rough alumimum and a strap on each side hooked to the frame. There are many truck running generators. My setup is a little more complicated where I have a 2000 watt inverter in line with it that also charges the batteries. I also have five deep cycle batteries. But I ran it with the generator only at first. Just so the wiring is installed neat and secure it is ok. A small inverter, 29.95 at walmart will run any tv well and not take the batteries down in 24 hours.

You need to look into the air conditioner good. It will amaze you how big you need to cool the truck on a hot day. I havce 14.000 btu and it is not big enough but tolarable. On a 90 degree day it will get to 85 or so in the truck. But without it goes to 110 degrees or so. Test borrow one or buy one at Wallmart and return it if not big enough. Set it up on a window and tape some plastic on a hot day to get an idea. then you need a generator big enough. The 14,000 draws 1600 watts on run and dims the lights when the compressor starts with the 3000 watt generator. When I first got it, (the air) till it broke in, sometimes it would pop the circuit breaker on start up.

In the winter a ceramic heater draws about 1500 the biggest you can get. It will heat you ok till it gets real cold. I am good down to 10 or 15 degrees and colder thanthat you need to let the truck run anyway. I can give you a couple of tips, the truck system needs to be put on recirculate while stopped, the system will bleed hot air in and cold air in the winter. I don't know what post you read, but I have a bunch of stuff in here, coffee maker, toster, 2 1/2 cubic foot freezer, refridgerator, 27 inch high def tv, dvd, and so on. I can park at night with no generator and be ok except for air cond. I also have a fan mounted in a vent to get some air. Flys are a problem. With gas at 2.40 it takes about 4.50 or 5.00 for a 12 hour run with the generator, now it is up to 7.00 or so with 3.00 gas. I also have remote start on my generator, a real help. I found that before the remote I would run the generator all night when i did not need it so that it woud be running in the morning when the sun hit the truck. Of course I drive most of the night and sleep later.

An inverter with a charger is a great thing. I have left the markers on all night and the batteries low in the morning. Woops, but the generator running the inverter charges them back up in a half hour or so. Something to remember, the industry standard for house current at 115 volts is 1500 watts and it does allow a surge to 20 amps or so to start a compressor ok. 'RV units do run up to 30 amps and that is what I run, but you cannot run two full 115 volt loads on the system. Mine is 3000 watts full current and 2700 run.

If I was to do this over again knowing what i know now, the money would have gone into a 3000 or 4000 watt inverter with all the stuff running on the inverter and a generator to keep the batteries up. Of course that would take some serious batterys.

tootie04 11-02-2007 12:29 AM

Yep, we did it last winter and also used one this summer while logging. DOT never said a word to us about it and we were inspected more than once in NC. :wink:

We are going to use it again this year too.

tootie

SilverWulf 11-02-2007 12:40 AM

I've been thinking about setting up something based on a honda generator, more than likely the EU3000IS model. MSRP on this unit is right around 2 grand. It is very quiet at 58 decibles, and would be even quieter mounted as described below.

What I'm considering is mounting the generator inside a box mounted on the frame rail and tying the exhaust into the trucks exhaust system. Vent the box with two fans, one sucking and one blowing. Mount a 10 gallon foam filled fuel cell between the frame rails under the catwalk. It would be easy to securely mount everything and have the wiring and fuel lines protected from road hazards. Mount the starting switch, oil pressure guage, and breakers remotely in the sleeper where they are easy to get to. It would then be an easy task to wire in a gang box with a few outlets inside the sleeper.

During the winter, the block heater could be run on a switched circuit. Most block heaters pull from 750 to 1000 watts, so the generator could easily power that as well as another heater for the cab.

Running a fridge would be easiest with an inverter I think, just so it can stay on most of the time instead of only being on when the generator is running. What I don't know, is if inverters are rated to be run continuously for something like this?

Setting up a battery minder to run off the generator would be a good idea too I guess, to keep them up while the inverter is running.

Sure, something like this would take some work to get all set up, but in the end it would still be far cheaper than an APU.

Oh, and yes, I will be checking with the DOT about the legality of running a setup like this. I have read way too many differing points of view regarding the legality of having a gas generator on a CMV, none of them official or linked to a law that would allow or prohibit this.

Mountain Flyer 11-02-2007 04:05 AM

My refrigerator will run for 3-4 days on my inverter with my truck shut off. If I go 3 days or so, it will run the batteries down. But I leave my refrigerator on at nights when I am parked, plugged into the inverter, and the fridge alone won't drain the batteries.

I don't think DOT would give a whoot on a well designed setup. Probably most would not even know the code applicable, if in fact there is one. It's all about safety, and a good setup done safely would not be any more hazardous than any other fuel based setup.

I run the same trailer all the time; that's why I'm thinking of mounting my generator on the trailer. For winter use, it would do the trick, I think...

BigDiesel 11-02-2007 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverWulf
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel

Could you point to the regs that apply to gasoline and CMV's?

§393.65 All fuel systems.

(a) Application of the rules in this section. The rules in this section apply to systems for containing and supplying fuel for the operation of motor vehicles or for the operation of auxiliary equipment installed on, or used in connection with, motor vehicles.

(b) Location. Each fuel system must be located on the motor vehicle so that —

(b)(1) No part of the system extends beyond the widest part of the vehicle;

(b)(2) No part of a fuel tank is forward of the front axle of a power unit;

(b)(3) Fuel spilled vertically from a fuel tank while it is being filled will not contact any part of the exhaust or electrical systems of the vehicle, except the fuel level indicator assembly;

(b)(4) Fill pipe openings are located outside the vehicle's passenger compartment and its cargo compartment;

(b)(5) A fuel line does not extend between a towed vehicle and the vehicle that is towing it while the combination of vehicles is in motion; and

(b)(6) No part of the fuel system of a bus manufactured on or after January 1, 1973, is located within or above the passenger compartment.

(c) Fuel tank installation. Each fuel tank must be securely attached to the motor vehicle in a workmanlike manner. Can't strap a gas can to the catwalk...
(d) Gravity or syphon feed prohibited. A fuel system must not supply fuel by gravity or syphon feed directly to the carburetor or injector.

(e) Selection control valve location. If a fuel system includes a selection control valve which is operable by the driver to regulate the flow of fuel from two or more fuel tanks, the valve must be installed so that either —

(e)(1) The driver may operate it while watching the roadway and without leaving his/her driving position; or

(e)(2) The driver must stop the vehicle and leave his/her seat in order to operate the valve.

(f) Fuel lines. A fuel line which is not completely enclosed in a protective housing must not extend more than 2 inches below the fuel tank or its sump. Diesel fuel crossover, return, and withdrawal lines which extend below the bottom of the tank or sump must be protected against damage from impact. Every fuel line must be —

(f)(1) Long enough and flexible enough to accommodate normal movements of the parts to which it is attached without incurring damage; and

(f)(2) Secured against chafing, kinking, or other causes of mechanical damage.

(g) Excess flow valve. When pressure devices are used to force fuel from a fuel tank, a device which prevents the flow of fuel from the fuel tank if the fuel feed line is broken must be installed in the fuel system.

[36 FR 15445, Aug. 14, 1971, as amended at 37 FR 4341, Mar. 2, 1972; 37 FR 28752, Dec. 29, 1972].

SilverWulf 11-02-2007 05:14 AM

With the setup I have in mind, I don't see a problem meeting everything that is required or staying away from the prohibited.

Thanks.

Rev.Vassago 11-02-2007 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverWulf
With the setup I have in mind, I don't see a problem meeting everything that is required or staying away from the prohibited.

Thanks.

Your generator is going to have a fuel pump? Most portable generators don't.

11-02-2007 08:54 PM

That generator is gravity fed although you really can't tell without taking it apart. I doubt if anyone would give you any grief about it.

I'm assuming gravity feed is a no no because the fuel line could break and leak gas over everything where a pump feed is sucked out of the top of the unit and can't leak.

watevr777 11-02-2007 11:20 PM

Just my 2 cents worth

I think the regulations that are being posted here apply to the vehicle....
A Generator is and add on unit and I have never seen anything that says yes or no to a generator being mounted to a CMV........

Examples.........

RGN's that are self contained have a gas engine on them....

older car haulers were self conained... Gas Motors......

Landall trailers can be self contained...gas motors......

look at tankers with that big box mounted under it .........Gas Motor....

And if my memory serves me correctly flammable liquids is 1500 Pounds or a number of gallons to be Haz Mat ( I do not pull haz mat )

The generator I have was built in 1968 and came off a B-52 and has a fuel pump and the tank is mounted to the gen

BigDiesel 11-02-2007 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watevr777
Just my 2 cents worth

I think the regulations that are being posted here apply to the vehicle....
A Generator is and add on unit and I have never seen anything that says yes or no to a generator being mounted to a CMV........

Examples.........

RGN's that are self contained have a gas engine on them....

older car haulers were self conained... Gas Motors......

Landall trailers can be self contained...gas motors......

look at tankers with that big box mounted under it .........Gas Motor....

And if my memory serves me correctly flammable liquids is 1500 Pounds or a number of gallons to be Haz Mat ( I do not pull haz mat )

The generator I have was built in 1968 and came off a B-52 and has a fuel pump and the tank is mounted to the gen

Maybe you missed the first section of the rule. I will post it below to clear up any confusion.....

§393.65 All fuel systems.

(a) Application of the rules in this section. The rules in this section apply to systems for containing and supplying fuel for the operation of motor vehicles or for the operation of auxiliary equipment installed on, or used in connection with, motor vehicles.

watevr777 11-03-2007 12:25 AM

I Stand corrected

...Gravity or syphon feed prohibited. A fuel system must not supply fuel by gravity or syphon feed directly to the carburetor or injector. ...

Gen MUST HAVE A FUEL PUMP

..Fuel tank installation. Each fuel tank must be securely attached to the motor vehicle in a workmanlike manner. ...

...gas can is not a fuel tank ( yes some red neck could use it that way but I don't think that is the way it is being used here ...it is a gas can used for storing extra gas for the generator

Big Diesel IM not picking a fight ...just getting facts straight....

Rev.Vassago 11-03-2007 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watevr777
...gas can is not a fuel tank ( yes some red neck could use it that way but I don't think that is the way it is being used here ...it is a gas can used for storing extra gas for the generator

That is a fuel tank: a device for storing fuel for a motor.

Doghouse 11-03-2007 02:06 AM

When I bought my truck it had a gravity fed 5,000watt genny under the sleeper. The guy who rigged it drilled a hole in the gas cap, and then sealed it shut with blue RTV silicone. He put a 5 gallon tank on the catwalk and off he went.

Only problem was that the silicone let go and then he would use the shutoff valve to stop the fuel from leaking out of the full original tank while he drove, but when he used the genny, it would seep diesel fuel all over the place.

Now,...if he had removed the original tank from the genny and then piped the catwalk tank into the fuel pump supply line,...it might have worked,....
Oh,....he also let the exhaust blow upwards into the bottom of the sleeper (let me tell you what a mess that was to clean up).

So,....if you have room, just put the genny on the frame rail below the sleeper, remove the tank, then put an aux tank on the catwalk,pipe it into the gravity fuel line at the carb...and walla,....instant power.
But be carefull, the higher you go above the genny with the fuel tank,,the more PSI on the carb needle and seat,....it could flood while running, or just overflow all the time. A regulator might be needed, and it will take time to get the fuel flow right, but it will work.
Also,..some of those portable genny's are loud as hell, and I don't mean the exhaust,...I mean just the noise from the unit itself. The more $$$ the quieter you will get. Rest assured,..anything you get from Home Depot will not be quiet enough to put on your truck.

Or you can be a puss like Steve O, and get a fu#4ing whimpy a$$ rigmaster :roll:

Mountain Flyer 11-03-2007 02:35 AM

Or you can be a puss like Steve O, and get a fu#4ing whimpy a$$ rigmaster :roll:[/quote]

That dang Steve, he has all the toys...

I appreciate the comments and ideas gents. I believe this idea has potential, and I would go so far as to get a fixed gas tank and mount that between the main rails on my trailer to make it happen. Dunno how to figure out the electric fuel pump you'd need, but I bet it can be done! :?

Doghouse 11-03-2007 02:44 AM

It easy flyer,...just find out how much fuel psi the genny you want runs on, and then get an electric unit that is close,....put on a regulator, and run it till you figure out where to set the regulator at.
I had an old 280z that was fuel injected. I took off the injection system and put on 3 side draft carbs,...it took some time to figure out the correct fuel psi,..but after that is was trouble free, for 50,000miles,....till I sold it anyway.

11-03-2007 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountain Flyer
Or you can be a puss like Steve O, and get a fu#4ing whimpy a$$ rigmaster :roll:

I wasn't expecting that. Got a good laugh.

11-03-2007 12:42 PM

Quote:

That dang Steve, he has all the toys...

I appreciate the comments and ideas gents. I believe this idea has potential, and I would go so far as to get a fixed gas tank and mount that between the main rails on my trailer to make it happen. Dunno how to figure out the electric fuel pump you'd need, but I bet it can be done! :?[/quote]

Hello Mountain Flyer

I used a 5000watt coleman gas gen that was mounted on my cat walk for the last 3 years before I came over here and never had any problems with it or with the DOT over it. But like they said it was noisy !!! When I come back home next year it will go in a bax I had made for it and I will pipe the exhaust through the truck exhaust as well. If I was going to do it all again I would buy a diesel gen out of a place in LA that sells them for about 1000$ for a 6500 watt gen then put it in a box on the frame n tie in a line to the truck tank on a small fuel pump with a remote start. I also had a big inverter and used it a lot but here again I will change things and set it up on it's own deep cycle batt that recharge when the truck is running. Household electric in the sleeper opens up a lot of option for you and very quickly pays for it's self. Refrigerator --George Foreman Grill--Coffee Pot--Slow cooker--Electric Skillet ect ect ect just like being at home. Good Luck to you and stay safe !!!!

infrontofu 11-03-2007 03:58 PM

they make a small fuel pump for racing go karts works off vacume from the engine would be perfect for a generator.but a better idea would to buy one of the small quiet generators that runs on diesel.it would last much longer and can be plummed into the trucks tank.i got mine off e bay less then 800 shipped to me 6500 wattsvery quiet with electric start and remote start unit.

special k 11-04-2007 01:37 AM

Don't forget most block heaters draw closer to 1800 watts and the small space heaters for inside the bunk can draw as much as 1500 watts. I ran a 2600 watt Yamaha campground model for a few years and never had a problem with the DOT. Mine was in a ventilated box so most people never knew I even had one. If you're going to run it in the summer you'll have to vent it really well. If I was doing it know I would probably get one of those cheap chinese diesel ones too.

Mountain Flyer 11-04-2007 03:27 AM

in front of you and ashca, do you have any brand name or company links for the units you have? those sound good...

11-04-2007 08:04 AM

Quote:

in front of you and ashca, do you have any brand name or company links for the units you have? those sound good...

I'LL look n see if I can find the name n number for you Mountain Flyer.

infrontofu 11-05-2007 11:34 AM

i dont know the name just search on e bay for diesel generator there are a bunch on there.

ncnewbie 11-05-2007 11:21 PM

Here's a link to some low cost diesel gens with elec start:

http://www.duropower.com/index.asp?F...FQsQUAodPT9gmA

Doghouse 11-06-2007 12:58 AM

Just stay away from a company called Atrans,...they make an APU designed by truckers,...for truckers :roll: ,.......and I spent 2 weeks just getting the thing to run right. It arrived with loose connections, loose bolts,...really poor instructions (at on point I just yanked off all the wires and started from square one). The unit looked like a 10th grade shop project.
I also can't vouch for reliability,..not till I actually use it for more than 4 hrs testing it.

rank 11-15-2007 02:28 AM

Didn't Volkswagen beatles have gasoline heaters?

rank 11-15-2007 02:29 AM

come to think of it, there must be some diesel powered heaters out there. I'm thinking military surplus.

11-15-2007 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rank
Didn't Volkswagen beatles have gasoline heaters?

Yup!!!! My first car was a 1967 and it had one. They were outlawed shortly after for being to dangerous. It had a pilot light that kept the car a little warm all the time. The second you hit the button you had a furnace of hot air!!

person 11-15-2007 03:36 AM

Steve. What exactly are you talking about? I know of many old VWs that never had that.

rustylugzz 11-15-2007 08:08 AM

the volvo we drive has a bunk heater that uses the trucks fuel dont know exactly how it works but ill tell you it will run u out of the truck with the heat it makes

11-15-2007 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by person
Steve. What exactly are you talking about? I know of many old VWs that never had that.

Probably because it was a $400 dollar unit. Not sure who sold it. Mine came with the car.

person 11-15-2007 09:09 PM

Probably an east coast VW. Yep, never had those on the left coast.

Doghouse 11-16-2007 12:41 AM

Aahhhh, the old gas heater for a bug,..here's a link to one on E-bay. These heater would cook you out of the car,...and in good condition they were very safe :D ,....but after some years of neglect,......not so much :cry:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-BU...em270186735746

Kurbski 11-16-2007 11:07 AM

The - 70's model Volkswagon 411 also had a gas heater in it. It was a big step above my 1966 vw air cooled camper that would only run so fast in freezing weather. The plastic cup actually froze on top of the thermos one morning on the way to Portland at 20 below after i poured the first one. Always plugged in block heater and a light bulb near battery the night before.