User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011, 02:17 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Got an OTR question for you all.

I was thinking today. Just say if i wanted to go out and buy me an OTR tractor 2-3 years from now and lease it on with landstar or a company like that. They want 3 years or how ever much OTR exp.

Since i run under my own authority whats stopping me from telling them it was OTR. Really its a dump truck. But how would they know that?? Would they ask for logs or BOLs or something?? Just got me thinking thats all.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 03-15-2011, 03:06 AM
Senior Board Member

From what i know, Landstar will look at your DAC and may request log verification for the 3yrs since you were under your own authority. I know when I leased to them, I didn't have to worry because Schneider reported all mymiles driver each year.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
I was thinking today. Just say if i wanted to go out and buy me an OTR tractor 2-3 years from now and lease it on with landstar or a company like that. They want 3 years or how ever much OTR exp.

Since i run under my own authority whats stopping me from telling them it was OTR. Really its a dump truck. But how would they know that?? Would they ask for logs or BOLs or something?? Just got me thinking thats all.

Since you already have your own authority and insurance........in a couple years you could buy a road truck / trailer.....and just update your MCS-150 and insurance. Run under your own authority and not worry about how many years of experience....unless you hire a driver.

I think you are intelligent enough to make your own operation pay.

Of course....I could be wrong. :nana:
Old 03-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks for the input.

I was just thinking thats all. If i would do it more then likley i would pull an End Dump. Just something about dumps i like lol. Some of the numbers i see these OTR trucks make. It makes my dump truck look like peanuts. I mean i do ok. Around 2500-3000 a week. Burn around 650/week in fuel and only run about 1,200 miles a week. Only work around 8-10hrs a day. So i dont think im doing to bad in the dump truck business.

Plus my busy season is just starting. So hoping i can get the number up to 3500 maybe 4000 on a good week.

But if i do anything it will be years away. Im not like tracer. LOL no hard feelings tracer.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 03-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
request log verification for the 3yrs

The DOT require you to keep logs for 6 months, so they won't be asking for that.

There really is no way to verify it, not everyone uses DAC anymore, especially and independent
Old 03-16-2011, 01:20 AM
Board Regular

I was going to do that when I was thinking about going over the road, and I don't remember what exactly they told me, but they told me I would have to be able to verify if I was pulling van or flatbed and I told them I was a contract hauler not leased on with anyone. Mackman I don't remember what was told to me, but it was enough to get me looking at CRST to do FB work.

But this is all under if I was going to lease on with them, I am not sure what if any requirement would be is you just hauled their loads, but stayed with your own authority, I believe you would be ok but not sure.

GMAN would be able to answer that one for sure as he has done it.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:09 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most carriers will want to verify your experience. When you run your authority they can check with the fmcsa and see what products you have hauled and how long you have had your authority. They can also check your safety record. However, that won't tell them anything about your personal experience. They will likely want broker or shipper references to verify your experience. It would help if they were nationally recognized brokers or known shippers.

Since you have your authority you may just want to consider buying a road tractor and continue under your authority rather than leasing on to another carrier. Most of the major carriers, such as Landstar, do have brokerage departments. In fact, you could haul for them even if they would not lease you on.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:16 PM

In most cases you can get a higher rate brokering a load with landstar under your own auth. than if you were leased to them. I used to have a reoccurring load I did for landstar and when talking to lease operators at the consignees I found that I was getting a good amount more on the same load.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Since you already have your authority it would only be a matter of making sure that you have $1 million liability and $100,000 cargo to book your own loads through Landstar or any other carrier. With Landstar you will still need to do the legwork to get loads, much like you do running your authority. Landstar has their own loadboard. You will greatly expand your options by running your authority rather than leasing on to someone. Why would you want to give up your authority and lease to a carrier?
Old 03-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Senior Board Member