User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default trying to solicit work from company that u dealt w/ while w/ another company

If you're a contract o/o driver and have gotten a load to a company, while working w/ a courier company, is it wrong to independently attempt to work w/ the company u dealt w/while w/ another company? Say I work w/Joe Blow's company and although considered a contract o/o driver, the only paperwork I have signed (w/ this comp) was for tax purposes. Joe blow sent me on a run to jim blow's - once b4. Is it wrong to try to get jim blow to hire me to haul loads for him?
Old 03-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
If you're a contract o/o driver and have gotten a load to a company, while working w/ a courier company, is it wrong to independently attempt to work w/ the company u dealt w/while w/ another company? Say I work w/Joe Blow's company and although considered a contract o/o driver, the only paperwork I have signed (w/ this comp) was for tax purposes. Joe blow sent me on a run to jim blow's - once b4. Is it wrong to try to get jim blow to hire me to haul loads for him?
You should ask 'Jim Blow' (your target company) to talk to 'Joe Blow' (your current company) to let you come over. I used to work for a temp agency and they kept sending me to drive a truck for one big distribution company. I learned that staff drivers working for this company were paid 17 bucks an hour, while my temp agency paid me only $14/hr for the same work. So I talked to the distribution company and they negotiated with my temp agency and then I started working for them directly and my pay jumped by 3 bucks an hour I think the temp agency charged them a fee to let me come over. But this way everybody was happy.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 03-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Rookie

So...what would be the 'down side' to my doing it myself? Joe blow and i collide too much. There is nothing etched in stone - indicating that I can't , is there? Remember, the only paperwork between myself and joe are related to taxes
Old 03-13-2011, 03:27 AM
Senior Board Member

You have to tell the new company 'A' at some point that you worked for Company 'B' (unless you don't have to give them your resume). I think Company 'A' will respect you more if you're upfront with them from the start. If they don't see it as a big deal, you're off the hook with Company 'B', right?

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 03-13-2011, 03:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Company A sent you to do a job for company B. You no longer work for company A and you didn't sign a no compete contract? It's wide open for you I'd say. Whether or not it's "wrong" only you can decide.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:54 AM
crb
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

If you didn't sign a non compete clause or something go for it. Its a cut throat world! If you talk to you current company they are going to let you go I know I would. My reasoning is this if you talk to your current company and let's assume they give tgr okay what happens if you and Jim can't cone to turn on the numbers is your company going to keep you till you find one of their other customers to steal? If they didn't have you sign a non compete clause that's there stupidity! This is from a legal stand point. Now would I do this NO because I wouldn't want it done to me of course I would have a non compete clause! I had to sign one when I worked for a small ice house.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Rookie

I still 'work' for A but they won't give me any loads. Being new to trucking, I bought my truck according to what they said they needed -a box truck. Then I started w/their outfit. They kept leading me on, that I would be getting backhauls, but gave me one w/in 3 months. They stressed that as an o/o I can choose the loads to take but it has obviously become an issue that I decline loads that are not worth taking, i.e., going way out and deadheading back, local cheesy runs etc. Getting a truck, to suit their needs, was the worst thing I could have done. Now, I can't get any work out of them. I've gotta make something happen for myself or I'm gonna sink. I had them to put me on the board every day last week and didn't get not 1 load. I'm expecting the same this week - judging from their past behaviors. The light @ the end of the tunnel is that I wiil be w/ this factoring company soon. I've heard a few bad things about these companies but this one promises that they will give 80%. Whatcha think?
Old 03-13-2011, 03:37 PM

As stated above, only you can assess your situation. Here was my experience with a similar situation. WE had delivered several loads to a large whse. in my back yard through an out of state large nationwide broker whom we had a great relationship with. I developed a good relationship with the local whse. manager and solicited his local business. first of all I didn't realize they were the brokers cust. I assumed the pick up locations were or I would have never done that. If you get a name as a back stabber it can't help you in the future. The whse. manager smiled and acted in a manner that was encouraging. A couple of days later I got a call from the sales manager from the broker threatening to never load any of our trucks again, that meant the whse. manager couldn't wait to report my sales attempt to them. Losing that broker would not have been detrimental to our operation but it would have been very inconvenient. I did convince him that I didn't realize the local whse. was the shipper, and things worked out OK. Sorry for this long winded story but I hope it helps. My opinion:Unless you know what kind of communications or relationship A and B have, from both a business and moral stand point back soliciting is not a good idea.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
I still 'work' for A but they won't give me any loads. Being new to trucking, I bought my truck according to what they said they needed -a box truck. Then I started w/their outfit. They kept leading me on, that I would be getting backhauls, but gave me one w/in 3 months. They stressed that as an o/o I can choose the loads to take but it has obviously become an issue that I decline loads that are not worth taking, i.e., going way out and deadheading back, local cheesy runs etc. Getting a truck, to suit their needs, was the worst thing I could have done. Now, I can't get any work out of them. I've gotta make something happen for myself or I'm gonna sink. I had them to put me on the board every day last week and didn't get not 1 load. I'm expecting the same this week - judging from their past behaviors. The light @ the end of the tunnel is that I wiil be w/ this factoring company soon. I've heard a few bad things about these companies but this one promises that they will give 80%. Whatcha think?
I dont think you know what a factoring copmpany is. They dont give you any work at all.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 03-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Rookie

Thanx. Here is part of my issue tho...the comp I'm with is deliberately not giving me any work already. In the meantime, I am stuck with all of these bills incurred from my having purchased a truck that they suggested I buy to better suit their needs - as well as constantly lie to me about getting backhauls - just to get me to get their loads where they needs to go. I called to be put on the board every day last week - I was offered nothing. Remember, I have been driving 3 months now. At some point I am giong to have to come up w/a way to survive. I'm open to any suggestions and appreciate your input. While they are 'deliberately' not giving me work the bills continue to arrive.