User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Small trucks. What do you know about them??

OK i have been thinking about this for about 6 months now. I called my bank and they will let me know Thursday if I'm pre approved for 30k to buy a small hook-lift or roll off truck.

I want to get into dumpster rentals part time and work it around my tri/axle dump. Which i can do with out a problem. The quarry i haul out of could careless if you want to leave at 12 or whatever time you want.

My dad and i are kinda going into this together. I will be getting the truck and he will be buying about 5-6 cans. 10,15 and 20 yarders. We will be going after homeowners and small contractors. Ok enough with all that.

I'm looking at the smaller IHs and Fl70s. The truck i want is going to be right under CDL under 26k GVW. I dont know to much about the smaller trucks. But i see alot of IH 42 and 4300 on the road. They run the DT466 motor. One company i worked at years ago had like 6 of them. They seemed like good little trucks.

Now the F-liners i know nothing at all about. So you may have to fill me in if you know anything about them.

I'm leaning torwards the IH. The main reason is a buddy of mine is a service manager at an IH dealer. He is going to run the VINs of trucks i find to see if they had a trouble past. Plus i just kinda like the IHs over the F-liners anyway.

Here is alink off the type of trucks im talking about. So what do you know about them thanks.

2003 International Rolloff

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 02-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Board Regular

Definately stay away from the IH's if they have a VT365 or any other version of the small V8 engine, we have 2 of them and they've been nothing but trouble. I haven't heard anything good about the DT466 either, but they have been making them forever.

Last edited by classictruckman; 02-28-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Senior Board Member

A loaded 20yrd dumpster should put you OVER the 26k limit you are looking to stay under I think, especially if it's loaded with bricks, roofing shingles and other stuff......

I'd try to find a FL70 with a C-11 maybe if you can, but I'm thinking you might be looking into a 26k+ truck for the stuff you want to do.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Senior Board Member

well 10 sq. of shingles is around 1 ton. So i would be able to get 60sq. on. Im looking to do something like this guy.

http://www.canmandumpsters.com/

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 02-28-2011, 12:11 AM
Senior Board Member

If i found the right CDL truck at a very good price i would buy it. I just im looking for under CDL so if i get jammed up i can get anyone to drive it for me.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
If i found the right CDL truck at a very good price i would buy it. I just im looking for under CDL so if i get jammed up i can get anyone to drive it for me.
I hear ya, just remember they will at least have to have a Chauffers license. But if you can get something under 26k then I'd go for it!
Old 02-28-2011, 01:24 AM
Senior Board Member

I did remodeling for a few years and one company had a slick system that's worth passing on to you. They just put wooden sides on a heavy duty utility trailer and towed it with a large diesel pick up truck. The rental agreement made it clear that we would be responsible for damages to the trailer so they were covered there. One thing I don't know is how they actually dumped the thing.

IIRC we rented a 6 yd and later on a 10 yd from them. It's hard to imagine anything bigger using that setup.

Last edited by MichiganDriver; 02-28-2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:30 AM
Rookie

around these parts most people go with the ford f-650/750 or with a pete 330/335 or kenworth t-300. i also imagine it would be pretty easy to go overweight with a small truck due to the fact that the average homeowner isnt that bright when it comes to guessing weights.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Well i was talking to guy that does these small dumpster rentals. He said when you drop the can off look to see what they are going to put in it and guess the weight your self.