User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 03:36 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default For those with their own authority…

Anyone familiar with NASTC (National Association of Small Trucking Companies)? I signed up a couple months ago and absolutely love the two programs I’ve taken advantage of so far… Sprint PCS 14% discount (my bill dropped from abt. $410 a month to abt. $360) and the fuel discount program (we’re seeing a savings of $.15 to $.50 per gallon). They offer a ton of other programs that you might be able to take advantage of. Here’s the link if anyone’s interested: NASTC Welcome To The National Association Of Small Trucking Companies - 800.264.8580
Old 05-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Anyone familiar with NASTC (National Association of Small Trucking Companies)? I signed up a couple months ago and absolutely love the two programs I’ve taken advantage of so far… Sprint PCS 14% discount (my bill dropped from abt. $410 a month to abt. $360) and the fuel discount program (we’re seeing a savings of $.15 to $.50 per gallon). They offer a ton of other programs that you might be able to take advantage of. Here’s the link if anyone’s interested: NASTC Welcome To The National Association Of Small Trucking Companies - 800.264.8580
Please tell me more about this.Someone else mentioned this deal.I am more interested on the discountered fuel.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henboy1 View Post
Please tell me more about this.Someone else mentioned this deal.I am more interested on the discountered fuel.
Go browse around the NASTC site. You have to call them and ask for membership. It's a bit pricey, ($250 a year), but we've already made our membership dues back 2x in six weeks on the road in fuel savings and will knock over $700 a year off our Sprint PCS bill. They are like OOIDA (only a lot smarter) but for small trucking companies.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:02 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Go browse around the NASTC site. You have to call them and ask for membership. It's a bit pricey, ($250 a year), but we've already made our membership dues back 2x in six weeks on the road in fuel savings and will knock over $700 a year off our Sprint PCS bill. They are like OOIDA (only a lot smarter) but for small trucking companies.
I knew there was a catch and that was why I wanted to hear it from you without having to apply and back down.I have to sit down and do my gallons/yr and see the savings with their $250/yr.
I am tired of memberships.I just dtched OOIDA's drug consortium and I found membership for a free .Thanks anyway, I will do the math.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is a shame that OODIA hasn't done a better job of getting fuel discounts. One problem I see with this company is that they use Fleet One as their card administrator. We used Fleet One for several years and I would not use them again. We have had some problems with them providing some documentation. OOIDA also used them, but I was told that they have also experienced some complaints from members about them. I wonder if this organization is actually owned by Fleet One since both are based in Nashville?

In any case, it would be interesting to see if the savings would justify the high membership fee. I like the idea of having a fee for each drug test rather than an annual fee for each driver. If you had several drivers that might be worth it.

I am not sure that I would want to use them simply because of their association with Fleet One and the problems that we ultimately had with them. If they had a different fuel card I might consider joining.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:21 AM
Senior Board Member

The OOIDA drug program is a rip off. I signed up with a local service and pay per test. The guy from NASTC came and saw us; we are getting much better fuel discounts then he can offer. I don't use Sprint but get 5% back for paying with my Amex card and 15% off as I'm under some business plan. Didn't see much use in them but that was me.

No tire program either, which we find on our own. Pull into a T/A and pull out and get billed from my local tire dealer. Don't pay the T/A a dime.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Board Regular

[QUOTE=merrick4;481684]The OOIDA drug program is a rip off. I signed up with a local service and pay per test. The guy from NASTC came and saw us; we are getting much better fuel discounts then he can offer. I don't use Sprint but get 5% back for paying with my Amex card and 15% off as I'm under some business plan. Didn't see much use in them but that was me.

No tire program either, which we find on our own. Pull into a T/A and pull out and get billed from my local tire dealer. Don't pay the T/A a dime.[/QUO

Thanks for that post.That OOIDA CMCI is the biggest rip off.I have to join the program even if I am not driving and that is 150/driver + my fee.What a relief to have joined a program that gives you free membership up to 3 drivers and charges you the year after and per sample.

That OOIDA's Fleet One is another joke just like Gman mentioned.They go through your credit with a magnifying glass, and only to get the cash price.I rarely use that card.

I try to haul for LS and once I get my fuel money for the week, I go some where else for freight.LS comdata/premiere card gave me as much as 30cents off the pump price in Whitsett, NC.
Music Man, have you actually sat down and done your math on this 250/yr you are paying?Then again I may be wrog because you are getting major discount on your Sprint.
When I was a LS BCO, I signed on T mobile with their corporate discount.For unlimited minutes and air card, I am paying $115.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

OOIDA has a 10% discount with Sprint. Unfortunately, the Sprint plan that I have doesn't qualify for any more discounts. I have unlimited nationwide coverage for $89 plus taxes. I have also not found any organization that can beat the price that I pay locally for tires. Frankly, I am tired of joining associations or organizations that don't do any more for me than I can do for myself. I checked into joining the ATA a couple of years or so ago. The main reason was that I wanted to save on my insurance. As it turned out I would not only have had to pay the high membership fee but pay a higher premium than I was paying at the time. Sometimes, I think that we can do better on our own if we are willing to spend some of our time and effort.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4 View Post
The OOIDA drug program is a rip off. I signed up with a local service and pay per test. The guy from NASTC came and saw us; we are getting much better fuel discounts then he can offer. I don't use Sprint but get 5% back for paying with my Amex card and 15% off as I'm under some business plan. Didn't see much use in them but that was me.

No tire program either, which we find on our own. Pull into a T/A and pull out and get billed from my local tire dealer. Don't pay the T/A a dime.
You get "much better" discounts than wholesale cost plus four cents? Really? I hate to dispute that, but any cheaper and the truck stops would be PAYING you to come get their fuel. My actual savings off pump price, since we left the house on April 16th: $955.34 on 4510.399 gallons of fuel. In some instances I am buying my fuel in places like TA that inflate their pump price when I would have (using my TCH account as I did before) bought at Flying J, but after a little further analysis, I have discovered the following: Not only do I save the $1.80 per transaction fee I used to pay TCH, but I have the advantage of knowing not only what today’s prices will be, but by 10:00 CDT, I know what the prices will be for the following day. There are many times in the past where I guessed wrongly about what fuel prices would do. I’d map out my fuel purchases for my route, but by the time I’d get to a stop the next day, the price had jumped ten cents and I would have been better off buying elsewhere. I would be curious what your prices are. Why not post what you paid for fuel last week at all of your fuel stops, including location you bought fuel at and day, and I will post the prices I would have paid and let’s see how your program matches up with the NASTC program. I'll be home for pretty much the rest of June (starting tomorrow night, that is). I’d be happy looking at another program if it is that much better.

Last edited by Musicman; 06-04-2010 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:51 AM
Senior Board Member

[QUOTE=henboy1;481690]
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4 View Post
Music Man, have you actually sat down and done your math on this 250/yr you are paying?Then again I may be wrog because you are getting major discount on your Sprint. When I was a LS BCO, I signed on T mobile with their corporate discount.For unlimited minutes and air card, I am paying $115.
I've got 6 phones and one air card. The six phones split 3k peak time minutes, unlimited everything else. Unlimited cell to cell, unlimited data and texting. The air card is also unlimited bandwidth. My old bill was around $410 a month. My discounted bill is around $365. OOIDA said they'd get me a discount, but turns out I have a high end corporate account and they couldn't do anything for me.