User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default not a rep.Two of the best companies to lease on to.

I picked up a military HUMVEE at Fort Polk in LA.While waiting in the drivers lounge, I stroke a conversation with a guy who was leased on to ADMIRAL MERCHANT in MN.The guy came from Jones Motor and which he talked bad about.Their deductions were high etc....Apparently, they cancelled his lease and he was now at Admiral.He said they ran him non stop and there was always a pre booekd load waiting for him.Now this is flatbed or step deck freight.The second guy I met was at Fort Campbell in KY.He was also leased on to Admiral and had been there 3 yrs.He was an old school trucker who had left LANDSTAR and had signed on with them.He was also happy.The 3rd guy was in TN.We were loading and heading to Chesapeak, VA and he had started with them for only 2 months.He claimed he was getting 3000m/week and he could go home anytime he wanted to.From talking to drivers, I am seeing pretty good companies coming out of MN.Another good company gig is MAGNUM who hauls reefer.

On the other note is dry van carrier.I met a guy last week at a TA in LA,and he had just signed on with MAG transport/transportation out of Dearing GA(right near Augusta and I 20).He claimed he was getting 90% of the gross.Now, how many carriers pay their leased operators that %?He claimed he had grossed $5000 that week(TTT).He said MAG only had 70 trucks leased on and they paid for his IFTA and many other things.He could even get a laod from the boards and go through them, and would still be paid within that week.He said it was a mamma and pappa carrier who worked out of their home.One major thing I fogot to ask was his insurance deductions.The guy lived in OH and was still leased to a carrier in GA.
I am just giving back in case any O/O come on here asking about who to sign on with.
Not that I am thinking of loosing my MC but in case I decide, these are carriers I might consider.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by henboy1 View Post
I picked up a military HUMVEE at Fort Polk in LA.While waiting in the drivers lounge, I stroke a conversation with a guy who was leased on to ADMIRAL MERCHANT in MN.The guy came from Jones Motor and which he talked bad about.Their deductions were high etc....Apparently, they cancelled his lease and he was now at Admiral.He said they ran him non stop and there was always a pre booekd load waiting for him.Now this is flatbed or step deck freight.The second guy I met was at Fort Campbell in KY.He was also leased on to Admiral and had been there 3 yrs.He was an old school trucker who had left LANDSTAR and had signed on with them.He was also happy.The 3rd guy was in TN.We were loading and heading to Chesapeak, VA and he had started with them for only 2 months.He claimed he was getting 3000m/week and he could go home anytime he wanted to.From talking to drivers, I am seeing pretty good companies coming out of MN.Another good company gig is MAGNUM who hauls reefer.

On the other note is dry van carrier.I met a guy last week at a TA in LA,and he had just signed on with MAG transport/transportation out of Dearing GA(right near Augusta and I 20).He claimed he was getting 90% of the gross.Now, how many carriers pay their leased operators that %?He claimed he had grossed $5000 that week(TTT).He said MAG only had 70 trucks leased on and they paid for his IFTA and many other things.He could even get a laod from the boards and go through them, and would still be paid within that week.He said it was a mamma and pappa carrier who worked out of their home.One major thing I fogot to ask was his insurance deductions.The guy lived in OH and was still leased to a carrier in GA.
I am just giving back in case any O/O come on here asking about who to sign on with.
Not that I am thinking of loosing my MC but in case I decide, these are carriers I might consider.

Sorry but I made a mistake with MAG.The name is MAG carriers LLC out of Dearing, GA.On the FMCSA site I see that they have 70 trucks.It is quite weird because their MC starts with a 6.I am not sure if they just got their MC.Within a year they get 70 trucks to lease on?Quite weird.It also says their MC was either renewed or started 5/09.Anyway, the driver did seem happy.I wouldn't call them without a trailer.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have met several owner operators who had been leased to Admiral Merchants for some time. Most of them seem to be pretty content with them. When you look at any carrier you need to look between the lines. For instance, with MAG, they may pay a high percentage, but could have very high deductions. The all the compliance costs of having your authority, I would question how any carrier could pay 90% and pay all the insurance and associated costs. I believe that the owner operators would need to pick up the cost of at least some of the insurance and compliance costs. I think that you will find those who are happy or miserable with most carriers. Whether it is the faul of the carrier, owner operator or other factors, you will never please everyone.

By the way, I hope things are working well for you, henboy1.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Senior Board Member

I got 85% at my last place, BUT, I had to pay my own liability and fuel taxes and ifta
my new job, I get 65% and I make more because that is all paid by the company,, like Gman said, you have to look at the whole picture
one guy offered me 90% but I paid all those things PLUS, I would be responsible for all trailer repair and maintenance
I thought about it for 1/2 a second before passing