LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Ucr 2010

Since the new UCR started we have had to pay our fees by the end of the year. So far, we still don't know how much they will charge for 2010. They initially thought that they would keep the fee the same as last year, but now they can't seem to make up their minds how much of an increase they want. Fees could double over last year. Apparently, some states have collected the fees from some owners and may need to send a bill for the balance once they decide how much of an increase they want. I wonder if there will be a penalty attached for those who didn't pay the entire fee, even though the fee wasn't actually known? The way they are going we may not know how much of an increase we will have until 2011 is due. You've got to love the way these people operate.:roll:
Old 03-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Money grab. I think I paid 43.00 last year. Don't get me started. That GDamn 550.00 for the 2290 really gets me hot. I pay fuel taxes for gods sake. When is enough going to be enough?

We need complete accountability for all these funds before they can raise the tax, I believe.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:16 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I know what you mean, Rosty. Every time I pay the 2290 tax it raises my blood pressure. Then, when I have to pull it out to get my base plates it starts all over again.

As an industry we pay a disproportionate amount of our income to taxes. We pay the 2290, UCR, IRP, IFTA, fuel tax, etc., etc., We spend billions in compliance costs to track and file our IFTA. I think that we should be able to go to our local tag office and purchase our base plates. Each state has their own tag, just as we do with our cars. We could get rid of a lot of people who work in these departments. There is absolutely NO reason why we should not be able to do this locally. States could compete for our fuel dollars. Those with the lowest price would get the bulk of the money. I am sure that many of you make a trip to your state IRP office each year to renew your base plates. I always waste a day to go to the state capital. If I mail it in it can take weeks before they send me a bill. Then, I will need to mail a check or make a trip to the capital to pay and pick up by base plate and cab card. There are services that will do this for you, but that involves another cost. The larger carriers often have someone assigned to walk these base plates through the process. I spoke with one carrier not long ago and was told that they can order and print their cab cards online in the state where they receive their plates.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Senior Board Member

I will say that MD is pretty quick with my plates. Coming from construction to this industry has been an eye opener that's for sure. Every time I turn around some one wants money from me it seems.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I was planning on just faxing my information to the state for my tags this year. When they told me how long it might take, I decided to just spend the day in Nashville. In my case, it is the travel time plus the time spent waiting that takes so long. It takes about 2-2 1/2 hours each way travel time. If you get to their office by 2:00 CST you can usually get your baseplate's the same day. If you mail your renewal far enough in advance then it could work for you to get your plates back before they expire. If something gets lost in the mail you may never know about it for some time. I prefer to just walk it through the process even though it takes a day to get it done. There are some who will renew 50 or more trucks at one time. You can do it on line now, but they charge about $32. I believe you must do it online if you have a certain number of trucks. It is strange that they would charge a fee for doing their job for them. You would think that they would offer a discount.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Last quarter (Oct. to Dec 09) I got a refund on my IFTA of 78.00. I opted to have the refund mailed to me instead of carrying a credit. No sense letting the government keep my money for free. Last week I called the IFTA office to see what the status was, I thought maybe I missed the check or maybe it accidently got thrown out. Oh no, the lady informed me that it hasn't been processed yet but she would go ahead and do it while we were on phone. I deal with the same person at IFTA everytime I call because she is so nice and helpful so I didn't give her a hard time, but I don't think I could get away with not sending in money I owe them for a few months. issedoff:
Old 03-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have gotten to know one lady in my IFTA department. She is usually very helpful. These states don't like to give cash refunds. They prefer to give you credit. I figure that if they want me to pay them in cash then I want to be refunded in cash. It can help to get to know someone in your local IRP and IFTA offices.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Senior Board Member

You have to go to the state capital to pick up your cab cards? Geez, here in ON, there's an IRP office in lots of places. I have 2 within an hours drive.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

That is the way it should be, rank. I think that we should be able to go to our local tag office and get our base plates. Instead we have to go to the state capital to get our tags if they are apportioned. I can buy my trailer tags locally, but need to go to Nashville to get the apportioned tags. I think that most states are still that way. I have a friend who lives in Virginia and I believe that he can go to his local tag office to get his plates. It seems to me like a waste of resources to force everyone to drive to the state capital to get your base plates. Tennessee had an office in Jackson, TN until recently. Jackson is between Nashville and Memphis.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:06 AM
Senior Board Member

that's unreal, man.

I call Debbie at the IRP office and she faxes me the renewal application (or I can download them). I fill it out and fax it back. Next day she faxes me the amount that I owe. I drive the 50 miles and hand her one check in CDN funds and another in US funds and she gives me the cab cards. Done.