User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Need advice for purchasing a truck.

Hello everyone. Hope everything is going good for everyone. I have a choice here between 3 trucks and I was hoping someone could help me choose. The first is an 05 International 9200i its a former Wal-Mart truck with an APU. Second is an 04 Volvo vnl64t670. Third is an 02 Freightliner Classic XL. The Freightliner has a million on the miles but I like the truck. It is the cheapest and oldest of the three. It has a 60 series Detroit with a 13 speed Eaton Fuller. The International and Volvo both have ISX Cummins with 10 speed Eaton Fuller direct shifts. The mileage on the International and Volvo are each around 720,000. I've never drove or been in a Volvo and know nothing about them. It is a very nice bright red. It's the new body style and is super clean. None of the 3 have maintenance paperwork but all are for sale at dealers. I have enough cash to purchase one. I am just having a problem choosing which one. I am leaning more towards the International with the APU. I just don't know if it will save me money on fuel after I factor in maintenance on the unit. It is also the highest price of the three. I might can talk the guy down some more. Also a plus is he will accept a trade of my 05 Grand Prix GT. I just havent went to see how cheap I can get it. The asking prices are within $3000 of eachother.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There are some advantages and drawbacks to any of the three. The classic will likely have more room in the sleeper, providing it is a condo. Most are 70". It will likely be the lowest on fuel mileage. The Volvo will be the best riding of the three. Volvo is a great riding truck. The advantage to the International are twofold. The apu is a plus with what is going on with the anti idling laws that are springing up across the country. Walmart trucks seem to be well maintained. I get pretty decent fuel mileage with my International. It is a 9400. The 9200 has a shorter hood, but is essentially the same truck. The Volvo is probably going to edge out the International with fuel mileage since it is more aerodynamic. If it were me I would probably go for the International, primarily due to the apu already being installed. Those run about $7-8,000 new. Having said that, it is difficult to tell someone the type of truck that they need to purchase. The type of freight hauled and where you run are factors that should be considered when buying any truck. Gear ratio's and fuel mileage are also very important. Before buying any of them I would have an oil analysis and dyno done once I decided which truck that I wanted to buy. If both look good and you have checked everything else on the truck it should give you some good service.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Board Regular

If I might ask, what is a Dyno? Never heard the term...
Old 03-19-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
If I might ask, what is a Dyno? Never heard the term...
First to answer your question Mystikal. A dyno is short for dynamometer. It is a machine that is used with a computer program to "test" a engine's horsepower and torque. The factory settings for the engine is pre programmed into the computer. When the used truck is tested the results are compared to see how much power is lost. Some dealers have dyno's and some don't. Some only have dyno's for the engine that they are licensed or contracted to sell. I know Peterbilt in Fort Smith, AR does not have a dyno in their shop but they said they are looking to get one but it won't be for a Detroit because they are under contract with Cat. At least that's what a salesman told me.
Anyway. I was wanting to update my post here. I went and looked at the International today. It's a 9400 but the guy told me it was a 9200 on the phone. It's a very nice truck. 05 9400 with a Tripac APU. He made me an awesome deal trading in my 05 Grand Prix. Also he has a '99 Wabash 53' dry box hes willing to make a combo deal on. It's a deal too good to pass up I think. I can get the truck and trailer for less than what the guy is asking for the Classic out right. I am trading in a like new car with 55,000 miles but still its a great deal. The trailer looks new in and out and has new tires. (The truck has new drives on it as well. The steers still have about 60% tread on them.) The trailer was used locally to transport cardboard and doesn't hardly have a scratch on it. My only issue is the APU won't start. The dealer said he can't figure out how to start it. I tried several times to start it using the keypad on the inside of the bunk. It would power up on the keypad and show the temp but none of the other buttons did anything. I'm sure it's something simple like a fuse or whatever. The truck over all is in near perfect condition. The engine looks like a brand new one. It has all the Cummins red paint on it and no rust anywhere. It kept shutting off after about 3 minutes of idling. I guess this is because Wal-Mart didn't like for their trucks to idle. I don't know if there is a bypass for this but I'm sure the International dealer can turn the anti-idle off. Anyway. I think I'm going to get it. I just signed up for OOIDA and I have my insurance set up at Little Rock. All i need to do is get my Authority and find a load. Wish me luck guys I'm so nervous but excited to own my own business at the same time.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would see if you could get the dealer to fix the apu unit. If not, it could be a good negotiating vehicle to get a little better price. If you proceed with your purchase I am sure that you will get many trouble free miles out of the International. I have been very pleased with the service that I have gotten out of mine. Good luck. Do you plan on getting your insurance from OOIDA? Or have them do the paperwork for your authority?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:58 PM

Gman I want to thank you for the site and all of your great posts. I've learned a ton from reading on this site and from your great insight into things.
The dealer I'm getting the truck from doesn't have a shop he basically just has a lot with a few trucks on it. It's 5 miles out of town and selling a few trucks now and then is all he does. He used to own a used car dealership but I guess he's making more off of the big trucks. He really doesn't know what is wrong with the APU I'm sure of that. He's about 65 to 70 years old and seems to be a nice old man. I cant really complain about the deal I'm getting. He has another used Wal-Mart truck on his lot and he can't get the APU to work on it either. Maybe he and I just don't know how to use it. That is a real possibility because I've never had a truck with an APU. It seems simple enough to use but I'm a truck driver and not a mechanic.
On the insurance I've heard too many people tell me not to get OOIDA's insurance because some brokers won't accept it. I'm going through them to get my authority and drug and alcohol testing. They have a site here in Jonesboro, AR and I can get my physical in the same building. The insurance I found is a agent in Little Rock and the quote I was given is for $4700 which i don't think is too bad for the truck and trailer since I have a following too close ticket on my record and one accident as well.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:07 PM
Senior Board Member

I would go for the ole wally world truck. they don't have a history of hauling heavy & are extremely well maintained. ever see a wal-mart truck on the side of the road broke down? or being towed ? they fix stuff before it goes out. I bought one of their trucks over 11 years ago & still driving it. going on 1.4 mil miles.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:34 PM

Another question area I have is this. I will be starting out using the load boards. I have never made deals with brokers before since I was just a company driver. How do you negotiate the price of the loads? What is a good idea for pricing? I have signed up already for get loaded and the internet truckstop. Get loaded has some prices listed and the ones I've seen are ranging from $1.20 a mile to over $2.00 a mile. That's a huge price difference. I have tried to figure my operating costs the best I can but still I know it will be difficult for me to know what I'm doing here just starting out. I'm kinda going into this with common sense and knowledge from what I've been reading. It's an ongoing process for sure. Should I set a mileage rate and turn down loads that don't meet my price or what? My truck and trailer will be paid for with no liens or payments. I will have fuel, permits, insurance, maintenance, tires, taxes, and accountant fees to pay. Along with other operating costs. But starting out with no debit. Also I will have a cash reserve to start but it's not much more than a couple of months worth of operating costs. My home and personal vehicles are paid for as well. I know also that it takes at least 30 days to get paid on most bills. Also I'm thinking I should get the fuel card from OOIDA as well. I don't really like Fleet One that much though. (I've been turned down a lot at truckstops using one in the past.) But a discount is a discount. Mainly I would like to know how the whole broker system works. I have never done it and I want to get the best price I can of course.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:44 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

[quote=Dave_0755;476981]Gman I want to thank you for the site and all of your great posts. I've learned a ton from reading on this site and from your great insight into things.

I can't take credit for the site, but you are welcome on the posts. I just try to pass along some of the things that I have learned over the years. We are fortunate to have a number of members who have quite a lot of experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_0755 View Post
The dealer I'm getting the truck from doesn't have a shop he basically just has a lot with a few trucks on it. It's 5 miles out of town and selling a few trucks now and then is all he does. He used to own a used car dealership but I guess he's making more off of the big trucks. He really doesn't know what is wrong with the APU I'm sure of that. He's about 65 to 70 years old and seems to be a nice old man. I cant really complain about the deal I'm getting. He has another used Wal-Mart truck on his lot and he can't get the APU to work on it either. Maybe he and I just don't know how to use it. That is a real possibility because I've never had a truck with an APU. It seems simple enough to use but I'm a truck driver and not a mechanic.
On the insurance I've heard too many people tell me not to get OOIDA's insurance because some brokers won't accept it. I'm going through them to get my authority and drug and alcohol testing. They have a site here in Jonesboro, AR and I can get my physical in the same building. The insurance I found is a agent in Little Rock and the quote I was given is for $4700 which i don't think is too bad for the truck and trailer since I have a following too close ticket on my record and one accident as well.
Walmart does do a good job of keeping up their maintenance. I would not be afraid to buy any of their trucks, but I would still want to check them over. Since the apu fails to start on either of the units I feel that it is something minor. If you know the manufacturer you could go to their website and ask how to start it. There should be a start button on the control panel.

You are getting a good rate on your insurance. I think insurance companies have been forced to lower rates in order to keep from losing too much business. Many starting out will pay at least $6,000 or more for the same coverage. There have been some on this forum who have had quotes of more than $12,000.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:49 AM

I hope discussing rates isn't a touchy subject. I really don't expect a huge gain especially starting out with limited knowledge. I just hope that I can show a profit after fuel and other expenses. I am thinking it's going to be tough starting out. Hopefully I can get into a rhythm keep it up.