User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Good Company?

Can anyone give me info on driving for Foward Air Freight, good or bad company?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Board Regular

I have heard quite a few good things about them, but it is here say. They are an airport expidite outfit. My one question to them would be getting the dreaded, and I hate this term, back haul. And from my limited research in the past few months regarding expidite shipping, I have been told more than once to stay away from that field of transportation.

Just my .02
Old 04-13-2010, 05:22 PM

I don't know where you live or what hometime you want but isn't Forward Air out of Tennessee?

If so I would suggest Mid-South. I used to work for them. They have a terminal in Nashville, Atlanta and Memphis. You will get some great hometime, drive a brand new truck, and work regional. It's a great company to work for. If you need contact info for them or need more info then message me back. I think it's one of the best companies out there to work for. Just my .02 as well.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Rookie

Thanks guy's for the info, after researching 15 different companies I have narrowed it down to two in which Im cleared for orientation, Foward Air Freight & Landstar. FAF is terminal to terminal, I like that because it takes care of dead heading for loads especially when your paying for the fuel. Landstar can pay more (% of revenue) but have to coordinate loads so once you reach your destination you are responsible for finding another load close by. Both companies are non-forced dispatch which I like. have to make a decision between FAF and Landstar in the next two day's. Any last suggestions are welcome. thanks and be safe out there.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Rookie
Smile

By the way Dave & Justtruckin, thanks for your comments!
Old 04-20-2010, 11:13 PM
Rookie

forward air has a terminal next to every major airport in the country. from what i have been told starting out you will be on the extra board and will only be given the extra loads the the dedicated contractors cant /wont take. over time you will be allowed to bid on a dedicated load. also being a solo driver you will be limited to more regional type runs since they deal with air freight, the freight must get there on time with no excuses. from what they say you really want to be a team to make any jind of monet at faf. so more than likely you be limited to about a 600 mile radious. also most of their loads leave out at night around 5:30- 8:00 and they must get to their destination on time. if you want to see their delivery schedule you can go to their website and pull up the schedule. it will tell you when the cutoff for accepting loads, the travel time form hub to hub and the time in the morning it should be there. also i live near atlanta and every now and again i see FAF contractors at the airfreight docks at the airport getting loaded or unloaded. hope this helps!!
Old 04-21-2010, 06:09 AM
Rookie

Your right on Monale 770. Everything you mentioned is what I just found out from a real helpful employee, however I didn't know about the extra board status. thanks for that info! I was told about 65% of the runs are dedicated and will take sometime to get one. I think I will go with Landstar and see if I can do well there if not I will try FAF, still sounds like a good company. just really want to stablish some longevitiy with a company. Im standing by for my truck finance to clear them Im gone!!:thumbsup: