User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile 7 Years exp Co.driver becoming O/O

Hello every one there. Im purchasing a 05volvo 670, trying to do o/o deal. I would like to get some tips in getting a good conpany that is good to work for. Im in De. Also if it is necessary to add extended protection for turbo and injectors. any comments will be welcome. Thanks. (new member).
Old 01-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Check out this thread:

http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/o...interview.html

It's all about numbers my friend. Revenue always must be higher than cost. What kind of trailer do you want to pull? How much does the extra coverage cost?
Old 01-09-2010, 11:20 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyV View Post
Hello every one there. Im purchasing a 05volvo 670, trying to do o/o deal. I would like to get some tips in getting a good company that is good to work for. I'm in De. Also if it is necessary to add extended protection for turbo and injectors. any comments will be welcome. Thanks. (new member).

It is difficult to suggest companies for you to lease to without knowing what your are looking for and something about your experience. There is no one size fits all in this business. Some people prefer pulling a van or reefer while others like getting some exercise with a flat or step deck. Some people are more comfortable pulling for a carrier who pays mileage. Others prefer a carrier who offers percentage. Another consideration is whether you plan on buying your own trailer. If you pull a van, many carriers furnish the trailers. Pulling an open trailer is different. While there are some who furnish trailers, others require you to either rent or purchase a trailer.

An extended protection plan isn't worth much unless you need it. It gives some people a feeling of extra insurance and makes them feel better about their purchase. Personally, I don't think most extended warranties are worth what they ask in premium. It might help you to compare the cost of replacement with the added cost of insurance. The last turbo cost me just over $2,700 for parts and labor. The turbo alone cost a little over $1,500. Parts are more expensive with a CAT. If the engine is a Cummins or Detroit it will likely cost less. I would check with a dealer or garage to see what it would cost to replace the parts. A warranty for a turbo usually lasts about 150,000 miles. Injectors cost about $400 each plus labor.

The factory turbo on the truck that I replace the turbo was replaced at around 150,000 miles. I believe the replacement lasted an additional 700,000+ miles. If you do your maintenance, it is less likely that you will need to replace these parts. Of course, they can fail at any time, but proper maintenance will slow any failure. I am pretty strict about changing my oil at preset intervals. If you keep your oil clean you are much less likely to have a turbo fail. All it takes is a little grit to get into those bearings to blow a turbo.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Rookie
Default Thanks for the replies, specially to Gman.

I understand that the name of the game is $$, That's why Im trying to get as much info I could. My options are to do either Van, reefer. at the start I'l use their trailers, van or reffer. It seems that reffer makes more income? I might be wrong, but that's the info I've got so far.
In relation to the extended warranty, You are right, is matter of keeping up with the truck. I also heard that volvos 2005 and even earlier models change of oil is require after 40 to 45k miles. is that a fact? would any one knew?
Old 01-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You are welcome. Reefers tend to have higher rates than vans, but they are usually heavier. The advantage to a reefer is that you can haul both reefer and van freight. The down side is that some shippers won't load a reefer. A reefer is also much more expensive to purchase. If you plan on leasing to a carrier much of that won't be a factor.

I change my oil at 15,000 miles. If you wait until you have 40,000 miles you are likely to have some engine or turbo problems. The life of engine components is in maintenance. If your truck as a filter system such as Gulf Coast then you many not need to change your oil nearly as often. I think that the most important maintenance you can do on a big truck is change the oil and lube the chassis.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Rookie
Default Going O/O

Welcome to the world of decision making my friend. Trucking, from an o/o perspective, is about making SOUND financial, maintenance and overall business decisions. Todays decisions will have either benefits or repercussions sometime in the future.

NEVER - EVER- NEVER- lease purchase a tractor from a carrier. I know it sounds like such an attractive deal (no credit check or money down).....but believe me, you will lose at some point.

Another point to ponder: You don't have to be an over the road driver to work as an o/o either. There are opportunities for you to work as a regional or even a local driver with your own truck.

No ONE truck is better than another- what makes a truck "good" is it's value to its owner in relation to how much value it brings to his or her trucking operation. I've seen basic (power nothing) Freightliners last 2X as long as a super-trucker Peterbilt. It all boils down to how much time it spends OUT of the shop and on the road making you $$.

Fuel mileage GREATLY depends on a few main factors: Speed is probably in the top 3 and weight is close behind. Keep it as light as possible and watch your speed and you should do fine.

Lastly ( I could write a book here) be confident and positive and take pride in what you do. I've sat in too many truckstops and listened to drivers whine and complain about EVERYTHING. Trucking is a tiny segment of the business world...and there is a whole world of other job and business opportunities out there.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketdog View Post
Welcome to the world of decision making my friend. Trucking, from an o/o perspective, is about making SOUND financial, maintenance and overall business decisions. Todays decisions will have either benefits or repercussions sometime in the future.

NEVER - EVER- NEVER- lease purchase a tractor from a carrier. I know it sounds like such an attractive deal (no credit check or money down).....but believe me, you will lose at some point.

Another point to ponder: You don't have to be an over the road driver to work as an o/o either. There are opportunities for you to work as a regional or even a local driver with your own truck.

No ONE truck is better than another- what makes a truck "good" is it's value to its owner in relation to how much value it brings to his or her trucking operation. I've seen basic (power nothing) Freightliners last 2X as long as a super-trucker Peterbilt. It all boils down to how much time it spends OUT of the shop and on the road making you $$.

Fuel mileage GREATLY depends on a few main factors: Speed is probably in the top 3 and weight is close behind. Keep it as light as possible and watch your speed and you should do fine.

Lastly ( I could write a book here) be confident and positive and take pride in what you do. I've sat in too many truckstops and listened to drivers whine and complain about EVERYTHING. Trucking is a tiny segment of the business world...and there is a whole world of other job and business opportunities out there.

Good luck.
I could not agree more.

One thing know when to alter your plans. When things get going tough and your losing, know when to change directions. Many will continue and lose everything. Cause something was working for you last week, does not mean it will work this week. Keep an Open mind, Open Eyes, and open Ears. See No evil, Hear no Evil and think no Evil does not work in Business.