User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Going into Canada: Is it worth it?

I could use some opinions/information on taking loads into Canada. I live right outside Buffalo and know I can get a better rate on my loads going home if I'm willing to cross the border. My question is, is it worth the hassle? I've never been over the border in a truck so I have no idea. I've heard horror stories in truckstops but don't know if that's just trucker's bitchin cause they just love to bitch.

Is it a major headache trying to cross the border? Also, would I need Canadian authority or permits etc? Just trying to figure out if this is something I want to pursue any futher and figured this is the place to get some answers.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Senior Board Member

No it's not a major hassle at all, as long as you know how to work the system.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Senior Board Member

We really should make this topic a sticky. Seems like I've answered this 100 times.

The following info assumes you are a carrier. If you are leased or a company man, the carrier may already have done some of this stuff for you.

The good news is, it takes us only about 60 seconds to clear customs coming into Ontario or Quebec. Once in a while they'll send us to x-ray but not often.
It takes about 10 minutes to clear going into the US and we get x-rayed every time.

The bad news is there is a bunch of hurdles you need to clear or it will be a nightmare. I suspect the stories you hear are from people who didn't clear these hurdles.

Other bad news is that southbound rates suck.

Here we go.

If you've been in trouble with they law you may not get in. Even a DWI 10 years ago and they will turn you around.

No guns.

You should get a Canada Customs Carrier Code. If you cross more than 5 times a year you must have it, otherwise you will have to park the truck and go inside to see the shippers customs broker. This is a timie consuming hassle. I recommend getting the CCCC. Once you get the CCCC you will need to spend ~50 on getting the bar code stickers printed.
Commercial Carriers

To reenter the US you will need to contact the NMFTA and get a SCAC code.

Also to reenter the US you will also need to apply for an ACE account and complete an online ACE manifest each time you enter the US. Obviously, you will need a reliable internet connection and printer for this.

For ON you will need a C.V.O.R. Commercial Vehicle Operator's Registration (CVOR)

For QC you will need to have your trucking business registered with the province. Costs ~$75 IIRC and you will need a QC mailing address because they will not mail outside of QC. If you don't have a QC mailing address , you will need to designate a power of attorney. I think Nova Permits charges ~$350 to set you up for QC, including $100 for the power of attorney service. If you decide to go ahead with this, let me know and I'll do it for $200.

Allowable lengths, axle weights etc etc are regulated by each province and they are all different.

ON and QC now have a speed limiter law requiring any truck mfg after 1994 to have the max speed set to 105 kph.

Hours of service rules are federal and are slightly different than the US.

I can't speak for the other provinces.

Good luck.

Last edited by rank; 10-15-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

The thing most Americans don't realize that in Canada a DUI is a criminal offense...that's why so many have trouble at the border...also you might want to seriously consider getting a FAST card...also a PASSPORT is a MUST now...not to get into Canada...but to get back INTO the US! I'm not sure if that applies if you have a FAST card already...but that was the talk...THAT is why I stay NORTH of the 60th as much as possible now!....Yes I KNOW the border is the 49th! But I prefer to be as far away from it as I can! :lol: :lol:

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 10-16-2009, 01:16 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

In this past month I have made great money running in and out of Canada. As a matter of fact, i have done only 3 loads in the US in this past month, everything else has been in Canada to US and back again.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejanh View Post
In this past month I have made great money running in and out of Canada. As a matter of fact, i have done only 3 loads in the US in this past month, everything else has been in Canada to US and back again.
Are you a carrier or on %? What rates are you getting southbound and from what area?
Old 10-16-2009, 02:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkat View Post
The thing most Americans don't realize that in Canada a DUI is a criminal offense...
It's criminal down here. Just a misdemeanor.

Canada is worth it. I get great rates in and out, but I'm leased. It would depend on how much greater the rates are to justify it. Post some examples of what you get domestically and what you can get internationally and that might be a key indicator.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:33 AM
Board Regular

I am a company driver and I don't mind running into Canada. My company is out of Arlington, WA and the loads into Canada are from there to Ontario and Quebec, so they are nice long runs. Plus, once back that way I know I will get another good run back to the NW or SoCal.

Most of the other drivers with my company won't or can't go to Canada, which is fine with me because I have been given loads when the other are waiting in the yard or at home.

My truck is a 379 Pete with 288" wheelbase so it is not legal in BC, Alberta, and I think Saskatchewan. Ontario has speed govern law of 105kph, but my truck is not governed and I have never been checked. I always strictly run the speed limit in Canada, so as to not draw any attention to me.

I have learn to always carry extra bar coded labels(PARS for US->CA, and I can't remember the CA->US that the company supplies me to attached to the BOL for loads go into Canada or back out. I have to fax the shipping and custom documents with date, time, and border crossing location to the export brokers and followup with phone calls checking the status. I won't even attempt to cross the border until the broker confirms that load is in the customs database(My first load crossing at Detroit-Windsor was not cleared and I crossed the Ambassador Bridge 3 times paying $22.50 USD each time for the privilege :-( ).

I have only brought one load out of Canada and that required the ACE document. All the other times I DH'd which was easy. When deadheading, I just showed my passport to US Customs and stated I was empty. Once I was charged a USDA fee(or something like that) of $10.75 to US Customs. Several times the ICE officer told me that the fee was waived, so I don't know when or why it is charged.

I did have Canada custom go thru my truck once, but since it was 2 women I didn't mind. They did find an expired passport of my son's, but their questions were easily asked and accepted.

I had only one long backup at the Blaine, WA crossing. I was in a loaned local truck(shorter legal wheelbase) and I was working local for the day, so I was paid by the hour to wait in line. I think the wait time was an hour and an half. I have seem at the Sarnia, ON crossing a backup of several miles coming into the States, but fortunately I was heading to London, ON.

I would love to get a load to Fort McMurray, Alberta if legal. No, I don't want to be an ice road trucker.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:18 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
Are you a carrier or on %? What rates are you getting southbound and from what area?
I am not a carrier, i am leased to a tanker company here in the states. Rates have been very good for me from Canada to US and US to Canada, right around 1.80 to my truck for all miles. I drive a pneumatic trailer, like Laidlaw OR Archer has up there...Areas dont matter much as we deadhead for many miles to pick up a load. They are covered by the rate so they dont matter eaither..
Old 10-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejanh View Post
I am not a carrier, i am leased to a tanker company here in the states. Rates have been very good for me from Canada to US and US to Canada, right around 1.80 to my truck for all miles. I drive a pneumatic trailer, like Laidlaw OR Archer has up there...Areas dont matter much as we deadhead for many miles to pick up a load. They are covered by the rate so they dont matter eaither..

Is it Autumn you are leased to?