User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2009, 12:22 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Ifta

are IFTA fuel taxes paid on top of the price of fuel? like gas is $2.75 then I pay anothe .25 quarterly per state for every gallon bought? bringing the total to $3.00
Old 11-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhgpt View Post
are IFTA fuel taxes paid on top of the price of fuel? like gas is $2.75 then I pay anothe .25 quarterly per state for every gallon bought? bringing the total to $3.00
Each state charges whatever they feel like charging for fool tax. Let's say NY is $.45/gallon. It is included in the price you pay at the pump. So, if you pay $3.45/gallon you just paid .45 in fuel tax to NY state. Now let's say you bought 100 gallons. You just paid $45 in fuel tax to NY state. That's what you paid, but that may not be what you owe.

Let's say you ran miles in PA, ON and MD in addition to NY. PA, ON and MD want their share of that $45. They say it's not fair that you ruin their roads but NY gets all the tax. So the $45 gets divided up amongst those 4 IFTA jurisdictions based on the miles you ran in each jurisdiction. This is if you have a Pro Rated Plate or a IRP plate. If you have a local commercial plate you are not part of the IFTA program and yo do not need to file a quarterly report but you cannot haul for hire outside of your home jurisdiction unless you buy a trip permit.

You really need to know what the IFTA tax rates are before you can figure if the fuel is cheap or not. NY fuel at $3.45 including $.45 fuel tax is $3 fuel and it's cheaper than, say NC fuel at $3.30 including $.25 fuel tax.

Get that?
Old 11-25-2009, 11:21 PM

Rank - I have to say that was the best explaination of IFTA I have ever seen in those few of words. (This coming from a guy who has to expalin how IFTA software does its calculations about 10 times per week to someone new at it.)

Great job.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselBoss View Post
Rank - I have to say that was the best explaination of IFTA I have ever seen in those few of words. (This coming from a guy who has to expalin how IFTA software does its calculations about 10 times per week to someone new at it.)

Great job.
Thanks Diesel.

I've been on the phone to the IRP office for a week. Today I told her I need a training course to learn all the rules in their program. Know what she said? "So do we." LOL.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
Thanks Diesel.

I've been on the phone to the IRP office for a week. Today I told her I need a training course to learn all the rules in their program. Know what she said? "So do we." LOL.
rank, i sent you a private message. please check your mailbox. thanks! -tracer

Watch my YouTube videos