User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Well I went and......didn't do it.......

A couple of weeks ago I was just tooling around on the net and stumbled across a new truck that was down in Baltimore. I went down on a Sunday just to check it over and it was locked up inside the building. Well this past weekend I had to go down to Baltimore Pete and get a jake brake switch ($41.00 issedoff: ) so after making my purchase I walked over (with my wife) and looked the truck over. I LIKED IT! :lol: Here's a pic

I talked to salesman and got to test drive a 2007 with the same specs that was outside. It was raining and they didn't want to dirty the new truck up. Well once again....... I LIKED IT!
What a difference between a newer one and my 359, the turning radius alone just blew me away let alone the ride. Only thing I didn't like was the sound of the motor (CAT). I like my 3406B. So then my wheels are turning (no pun intended) and I started to seriously think about it. Price of the truck....114,500.

When we got home me and my wife talked it over and decided against it. I let my emotions get the better of me for a moment. Nothing wrong with that. I'd like to post the reasons both for and against and get some feedback from you guys. I think it may be interesting to get other thoughts and ideas.

Reasons against:
1. I've only been doing this since October 08, and need to give it more time.
2. I need to pay myself back first for the money I put in the current truck, if I sell it now it would feel like too much of a loss.
3. I really want to be able to keep the 359 and fix it up even if I get a new truck. You wouldn't believe how many people either come up to me or give me a thumbs up.
4. If I was to put a scratch on something new I'd beat myself up to no end, and with flatbed some of these places are hard on trucks, muddy dirty yards sometimes full of potholes.
5. Feel free to add to this list.

Reasons for:
1. I tend to keep things when I buy them and I take care of them, so if I buy new I know what I started with and what I got and would probably keep it for 10-15 years.
2. This old truck of mine is killing me here lately, and I shouldn't let it get to me but you can't help but think "maybe it's better to have the damn payment of a new one"
cracked oil pan..... 900.00 plus labor
two new front rims ( both were cracked) 750.00
power steering gear box.... 1000.00 give or take ( that's enroute as we speak plus the downtime this week.
3. Warranty
4. Feel free to add.

I now see the argument first hand between old and new. I remember reading some back forth between Rev and GMAN on this issue and I always thought keeping the older and fixing it was the way to go but I don't know.......

Also it would be interesting to hear from you guys your personal experience with this issue and why you stuck with the old or upgraded and how it worked out for you.

Last edited by RostyC; 05-05-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Does it come with an APU to power all of those lights???

Nice looking ride.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Aside from any other considerations, I would say wait, based purely on the engine. The more people I talk to, including O/O's, decent sized fleets, mechanics, and dealers, the less I hear positive about the 2007 engines...of any make. Lots and lots of problems. They're solving many of the issues as time passes, but I still have run into very few that are happy with what they've got. Obviously there will be other factors in your decision, but personally, I would avoid those engines like the plague.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Board Icon

Nice looking truck.
Nothing wrong with a 359. Myself, I like the cabs on the 359's, and that Corvette dash. Pete has come a long way from the 359, but I still love the 359.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 05-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I could probably make a case for either side. But I still think that keeping an older truck is the most cost efficient way to go, at least starting out. Save your money and buy new later. I did start to rethink my decision last year. I had a truck that blew a turbo the first part of last year. Parts and labor cost about $2,700. Around October of last year the transmission went out. With the tow bill, parts, labor, paying my driver to sit for a week the total cost came to about $8,100. So my total cost for major repairs for this truck came to just under $11,000 for the year. A new truck should have monthly payments of around $2,000+-. If I had the new truck I would have spent $24,000 for the year on payments. The savings is roughly $13,000. The payments go on regardless. The older truck has been paid off for a number of years. Granted, similar repairs on the new truck would likely have been covered under warranty, but not necessarily. More than likely I would still have been liable for the wrecker or tow bill which was almost $1,000. The main argument that I hear as to why some prefer to buy new is the warranty. The warranty is good if it covers what is broken. If not then you not only have to pay for the repair but will also still have your payment.

I am very thankful that I don't have big truck payments in this economy. I have replaced most all of the expensive things on this truck other than the engine. It has almost a million miles on it and is still in good shape. I hope that I can break a million miles before having to do an in-frame. A rebuild on my other truck with the same engine cost $18,000. That is less than one year of payments on the new truck. The new truck will depreciate every day. The older truck has most of the depreciation behind it. It can be aggravating dealing with a truck that breaks. It can also be stressful thinking about making monthly payments.

I will continue with my older trucks. Those who wish to have that new truck smell can buy the new truck. I will go the the parts store and buy some new car/truck spray.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Senior Board Member

I think i would stay with my new trucks and make money instead of the old ones and be out of business.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I see many more with new trucks going out of business today than those with older ones. You can still make more with an older paid off truck than a new one where you are having to make payments. I think where many get into trouble with an older truck is not keeping up their maintenance. Even though I spend $11,000 last year on repairs, those are not likely to be needed again for a number of years. I also don't have to worry about losing my equipment if I can't make the payments. It is very unusual for me to have to spend that much on repairs in a single year. If business gets too bad I can just park it and find something else to do. If you have big payments you cannot afford to make then you will lose your equipment. When you have a paid off older truck you can afford to sit a day or two for a better paying load. Those with the big truck payments are more likely to take anything that will keep them moving.

If someone wants to drive a new truck then it would be much more prudent to buy a good older truck, save your money and either pay a tidy sum down on something newer or pay cash. You could also trade up every couple of years until you can afford to buy a new truck. It makes much more sense to not put yourself in such a bind, especially starting out.

There are some components which wear out and in other cases people just don't take care of basic maintenance which could prevent some repairs. I got over 900,000 on the original transmission. The original turbo was replaced at 150,000 miles and the one that was replaced last year had more than 700,000 miles on it. I haven't had truck payments on this truck is several years. I still spend less on repairs than I would on truck payments.

I have known some who have lost their trucks by not having sufficient funds to make repairs. That is the main reason so many of us who have been doing this for some time suggest that anyone who comes into the business have a good nest egg. If things go well then you have a good start to buying your next truck. If they don't then you are not out of business.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Senior Board Member

At least i'm still in business and likely to be for many years.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

I'm not an O/O but I always lean toward shiny and new. I love new toys. Matter of fact I buy stuff I dont even need. I bought a new shotgun 2 weeks ago and its still in the box cause I felt guilty after I got home. New toys are my one vice. I get a high just researching and shopping until I have to make a purchase to get my fix. LOL. That truck sure is purdy.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7 View Post
I'm not an O/O but I always lean toward shiny and new. I love new toys. Matter of fact I buy stuff I dont even need. I bought a new shotgun 2 weeks ago and its still in the box cause I felt guilty after I got home. New toys are my one vice. I get a high just researching and shopping until I have to make a purchase to get my fix. LOL. That truck sure is purdy.
Dammit Snowman!! quit egging me on.!!