User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Question for tank haulers

All you tank haulers out there ( notably Skywalker, Stan & Mike3fan ), a few questions for you guys :

1) how much does your tractor tare in at ? ( just the tractor ) what would be considered too heavy ?

2) what is the maximum weight that you have hauled in a tank ? what is the average ?

3) what is the wheelbase of your truck ? how much would you prefer a set-back over a set-forward front axle ?

4) what kind of front & rear ends does your truck have ? 12 & 40 ? would a super 40 be preferable ? would 13.2 & 46s be an overkill for hauling a single trailer in the US ?

5) would you prefer a 13 or an 18-speed tranny ? why ? what kind of ratios...3.90 or 4.11 ?

6) what kind of 5th wheel do you prefer ? what is the height ?

7) what is the thickness of your frame ?

8) what kind of tires...22.5 or 24.5 ?

I'm asking these questions because I have a much better idea of the specs that would work for pulling weights of approx 135,000 lbs in a super b ; but I need to know by how much those specs ought to be scaled down for lighter single-trailer tank loads.

I look forward to your responses. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymist View Post
All you tank haulers out there ( notably Skywalker, Stan & Mike3fan ), a few questions for you guys :

1) how much does your tractor tare in at ? ( just the tractor ) what would be considered too heavy ?
Mine weighs 22k+ that is at the high end of what you would want

Quote:
2) what is the maximum weight that you have hauled in a tank ? what is the average ?

I've hauled 46k, I was over loaded. Average is around 44,500

Quote:
3) what is the wheelbase of your truck ? how much would you prefer a set-back over a set-forward front axle ?
My wheelbase is 270" I wouldn't prefer a set back

Quote:
4) what kind of front & rear ends does your truck have ? 12 & 40 ? would a super 40 be preferable ? would 13.2 & 46s be an overkill for hauling a single trailer in the US ?
12-40 is plenty

Quote:
5) would you prefer a 13 or an 18-speed tranny ? why ? what kind of ratios...3.90 or 4.11 ?
I like my 13 and I have 3.36's which is a little too low

Quote:
8) what kind of tires...22.5 or 24.5 ?

11R24.5

Old 04-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Senior Board Member

My KW is set up pretty much like Mikes Pete, 13,200 front axle, I have 44,000 rear suspension and 40,000 rears and an 18 speed with 3:70 on tall rubber.

My frame is 3/8" thick, with one extra cross member ,5th wheel is standard Holland, although its 54" high, our company trucks are 52" high and thats what the company prefers.

Full of fuel (300) I'm 22,600, with pump, compressor and 100 feet of hose, and assorted stainless fittings.

A 20,000 pound tractor would be ideal, most single hole insulated trailers run 13,500 give or take, the customers (and the company) want us to haul 45,000 pounds, I can't (and I don't plan on changing that) when Dana pre loads a trailer it is usually done with a day cab, and it almost always 45,000 unless the customer says other wise.

As far as max weight hauled, I have had 50,000 in a tank.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:11 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
My KW is set up pretty much like Mikes Pete, 13,200 front axle, I have 44,000 rear suspension and 40,000 rears and an 18 speed with 3:70 on tall rubber.

My frame is 3/8" thick, with one extra cross member ,5th wheel is standard Holland, although its 54" high, our company trucks are 52" high and thats what the company prefers.

Full of fuel (300) I'm 22,600, with pump, compressor and 100 feet of hose, and assorted stainless fittings.

A 20,000 pound tractor would be ideal, most single hole insulated trailers run 13,500 give or take, the customers (and the company) want us to haul 45,000 pounds, I can't (and I don't plan on changing that) when Dana pre loads a trailer it is usually done with a day cab, and it almost always 45,000 unless the customer says other wise.

As far as max weight hauled, I have had 50,000 in a tank.

Thanks, Mike & Maniac !!

Maniac. here's something that I didn't quite understand..."I have 44,000 rear suspension and 40,000 rears" What exactly do you mean by that ?

Also, what is the benefit of having a 5th wheel height of 52' vs 54' like your truck has ?
Old 04-05-2009, 01:38 AM

Thats a pretty common thing on heavy spec'd trucks. You don't really need 46,000 lbs rears for highway work but you need the heavier suspension so you end up with that. Super 40's are basically a 46 centre section and 40 wheel ends. I have a Pete with the same specs and my fifth wheel is 51" with the shortest risers available. It was good when I went back to hauling tank again. It seems they just want the taller 5th wheel for draining and it seems to help at the scale by loading up the trailer tandems more. I know I drove a set back axle Int 9400 with a 48" high 5th wheel. We were always really close if not over on our drives when we pulled a tandem tank in the states. In Ontario with our 3 axle's we were fine.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymist View Post
Also, what is the benefit of having a 5th wheel height of 52' vs 54' like your truck has ?

When you have a rear unloading trailer it helps move some of the weight off the drives(the problem area) by lifting up the front of the trailer and keeping more of the product in the back. The higher the better within reason, because a real high 5th wheel creates problems too, can't lower dolly legs far enough causing you to drop trailer last inch or 2 and creates a little unstability in the nose with it too high, think yard dog with the trailer high in the air.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Gray..What all these guys said!

I have a ITH with 22.5 tall rubber. with 3/4 tanks it weighs 19,600. My fifth wheel is only 49" with the suspension set at it's max, for ride height, without causing problems in the u-joints and rears. I have a 13 speed and 3.55 rears. I would prefer 3.90's.

If I pull a center unloader, I tell the shipper's 44,000 #'s of product, to keep my drives as close to 34000 #'s as possible, with 3/4 fuel. If I pull a rear unloader, I tell them 45,000.

If I am picking up a pre-loaded trailer, I decline the load, if there is more than 45,000 in a center unloader, or more than 46,000 in a rear. I don't play the "stop every 200 miles" game for fuel. I had 3 over weight tickkets in 07, trying to keep every one happy. Now I make sure my truck is as legal as I can make it.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
I have a ITH with 22.5 tall rubber

Stan, when are we gonna get a pic of that ride so I know when I see all those miller trucks I can pick you out in the crowd?

Old 04-05-2009, 03:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
Stan, when are we gonna get a pic of that ride so I know when I see all those miller trucks I can pick you out in the crowd?

Hehehe! Yer just gonna have to holler. I'm not proud enough of this truck to post a pic of it on th enet! Maybe when I buy myself a new Lonestar I will!

I load and head out for Sarnia on monday..will be passing through Detroit tuesday evening I imagine. Black 9400 with full-dress fairings on the side. Number is 5912.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Hehehe! Yer just gonna have to holler. I'm not proud enough of this truck to post a pic of it on th enet! Maybe when I buy myself a new Lonestar I will!

I load and head out for Sarnia on monday..will be passing through Detroit tuesday evening I imagine. Black 9400 with full-dress fairings on the side. Number is 5912.
I only live 100 miles from Sarnia, but I'm never there....lol. I'll. keep an eye out.