User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

i used to drive for this guy here in nc runnin a pete and pullin a 6 car trailer. i would run over to va beach and grab cars take them to cali, reload and take cars back to florida and reload back to nc/va. cod only pov. it was a good gig he ended up owing me money even though we were getting around 7500-8500 one way to cali, long story short i quit last last summer. and now he has cancer is 300,000 in the hole and sold his truck to his partner who is a car salesman well that guy bought a 4 car trailer did 4 runs and decided to sell the whole thing. pete 6 car trailer and 4 car trailer. the truck is older pete but i know from runnin it that it is a solid truck i can find out the price and all i know he is always looking for buissness ventures so maybe i can find out some stuff for you.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Rookie

Commanche-

Send me a prvt msg on here, or post and we'll keep in touch. That would be amazing if you could connect me with them.

Thanks for any and all,

CHop
Old 02-17-2009, 02:25 PM

I'm just curious what kind of rates can you get running four cars. I've owned many 10-11 car carriers and am baffled that these guys with the 3-4 car trucks can pay for fuel and the equipment let alone paying a driver or expecting to make a profit. The only scenario I can see being profitable is a short (less than 150 miles) haul owner operated truck.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:54 PM

Gman is being very generous in what he is saying to you and the patience he is showing while saying it.

I’m not that nice , so I’m not going to try to be nice.

I’m going to take this completely apart so maybe you can see your own mess and your attitude about it:

"working for o/o's that seem to be already in the whole when I get to them"

If all your past employment history has been with these kinds of outfits, maybe you are not being allowed to see the entire operation. Also, if all your employers have gone under, maybe it’s not as rosy as you think it is, especially right now.

"problem is that my credit sucks .......... screwed my credit up as a kid and didnt think I would need it"

You’ve had 8 years to fix it. Now you want it completely fixed overnight or the rest of the world to ignore it?

"take a stab at any o/o's that know something that I don't"

Pick a name, from your post I think he/she has a shot at knowing more! (Sorry, couldn't help myself)

"have started 2 business's by myself for other guys so I know what it takes and the steps involved. I know and understand how to run a profitable company and to actually make a good living with 1 or 2 trucks. Despite what you hear from some drivers and o/o's that don't monitor EVERY penny the business, there is still money to be made."

Starting a business and keeping one going are two totally different things.

"I know what its like to not sleep and cross the country in 3 days,"

Not EVEN going to go there!!

"I have no collateral to offer, just my experience and drive to own a truck for myself one day. I have proven myself to MANY people in the last 9 years of commercial driving,"

You sound like maybe you’ve been a job-hopper. If that is your situation then you have not been proving yourself to anyone.

"but always seem to get hooked up w/ the wrong people when it comes to leasing, or taking payments over."

You need to know what to look for in any contract and be able to pass it up if it contains the wrong wording for your situation.

"I have monitored fuel, taxes, and costs the last 4 years and know exactly what I have to make to be profitable for the company and myself."

Fuel, taxes and “costs” are not the whole picture. Actually, some days it can be a very minor part of the whole picture.

"I honestly think my goals are realalistc"

No, they are not realistic at this time. Clean up your credit and at least come to the table knowing you could possibly fail. That will make you more likely to stay on track.

"for the ones that want to take the time and tell me that the economy is horrible and now isn't the time...........please don't."

So, why did you post this?

"I'm here with all you guys doing what I do and I am 100% intune to what it takes."

You may be totally in tune with what it takes to drive a truck. You are not in tune with what it takes to run a business. And this is a business. Short cuts very seldom work out.

"....I'm just tired of having that "leash" on me when money gets tight. Money is flowing for the guy, and everything is peachy.......now that money is tight........he wants me out there running, running, running.......and it shouldnt be that way, but........lol.........where else would it be different.......NO WHERE."

If you were the owner/boss, what would you be telling your driver?

"just lack my name on the title, ya know."

You do know that can be a bigger headache than not having your name on the title, right? It definitely costs a whole lot more.

Don’t really mean to be so blunt, but sometimes that's what it takes.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Rookie

Silent,

I don't care that you felt the "need" to be so blunt with me. In others, it might offend them, not me. Maybe you've had a bad day and your sitting around trying to find a load or something, but to attack me and tell me that I'm wrong, unrealalistic, and haven't proven myself, well.......who are you to judge me.

The 2 business's that I helped start......ARE currently running. They are both small o/o hotshot units that are still making a profit to this day.

Am I a job hopper? ......Possibly........I won't sit here and say I've giving my all everytime , but what I can say is that I will not work for a larger company. ie- swifty/jb....... Call me stupid, ignorant, or what you will, but I refuse to work for a corp. of their size.

There have been things that I have left out to describe myself more and about what/who I am and the skills that I DO have. However.............have you seen me on here *****ing and complaining that something needs to be done w/ my credit....yet I haven't taken the steps to fix it???? Read back a few posts.........infact I have been working on it........and its getting better........

Keep in mind that this post wasen't intended to be a pissing match, that of which you have just seem to make it. I started this thread w/ a simple question about financing......thats it. I was "wondering" if there way alternative ways for people in my situation. You seem to think that because I havent made my credit score a 800 and worked for the same job for the last 10 years, that ............I'm a bad person, or stupid, or I have no idea about what I'm seeking...........Your wrong.

I think its funny you have time to sit and criticize me on here, when others have more important questions on this board. You don't know me and I don't know you, so what makes you think your better suited to post then me??? It's free, and a msg board.....have at it.....I find it comical that you've wasted 10 minutes of your day on me........Thanks? lol.

I'm going to end this now with a thank you for sharing your comments.......I have been looking at posts on here for 2+ years and thought I would post here recently, but again.........
I'm not here to battle back and forth with people I don't know, and w/ people that don't know/care about me....what would that prove? You don't know me and I don't know you, nor will I sit here and judge you for making your comments.

Maybe I am who I say I am,and can do what I say I can do........if thats the case...yay for me.....If I can't yay for you!

Either way........from 1 driver to another, be safe on the road....

Chop
Old 02-17-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsjohn81 View Post
Silent,

I don't care that you felt the "need" to be so blunt with me.
but to attack me and tell me that I'm wrong, unrealalistic, and haven't proven myself, well.......
who are you to judge me.

The 2 business's that I helped start......ARE currently running. They are both small o/o hotshot units that are still making a profit to this day.

Am I a job hopper? ......Possibly........I won't sit here and say I've giving my all everytime , but what I can say is that I will not work for a larger company. ie- swifty/jb....... Call me stupid, ignorant, or what you will, but I refuse to work for a corp. of their size.

have you seen me on here *****ing and complaining that something needs to be done w/ my credit....yet I haven't taken the steps to fix it???? Read back a few posts.........infact I have been working on it........and its getting better........

Keep in mind that this post wasen't intended to be a pissing match, that of which you have just seem to make it.
You seem to think that because I havent made my credit score a 800 and worked for the same job for the last 10 years, that ............I'm a bad person, or stupid, or I have no idea about what I'm seeking...........Your wrong.

I think its funny you have time to sit and criticize me on here,
what makes you think your better suited to post then me???
I find it comical that you've wasted 10 minutes of your day on me........Thanks? lol.

I'm going to end this now with a thank you for sharing your comments.......I have been looking at posts on here for 2+ years and thought I would post here recently, but again.........
I'm not here to battle back and forth with people I don't know, and w/ people that don't know/care about me....what would that prove? You don't know me and I don't know you, nor will I sit here and judge you for making your comments.

Maybe I am who I say I am,and can do what I say I can do........if thats the case...yay for me.....If I can't yay for you!

Either way........from 1 driver to another, be safe on the road....

Chop
First I beleive I said I didn't mean to be so blunt, not that I felt the need.

I am not "attacking" you, just pointing out some of the things you stated and maybe how you are not seeing the whole picture. Not judging you either. Sink or swim, not my problem. Do you want some help or not?

Businesses you started and are not currently being run by you, again, 2 totally different subjects.

Possibly a job-hopper. Not always giving my all. Could it be that door just cracked open a little? And I am not calling you any names at all.

Getting your credit fixed is what most of this thread is about. Glad you are getting it done. Just keep it up and you will get where you want to be. An 800 score and a 10 year history is something to shoot for, but also something most do not have. I never said you had to have it, either. Didn't say you are a bad person or stupid or don't know what you want. Just maybe that you don't know when to get it or what all may be involved.

Didn't say you can't post. It is open to anyone that can control themselves just a little bit. If you want advise, you must take the good with the bad. By good and bad, I mean what you want to hear as well as what you don't want to hear. If you have been reading on here for 2+ years, you should know that.

If you do happen to get your dream it will in no way harm me. If you do not get your dream it will in no way pump me up. Do you honestly think I would "waste my 10 minutes" if I didn't care to open your eyes where ever possible.

1 driver to another - My main job is the financial side of trucking, as well as other industries. I do own trucks and drive sometimes. With that said, this post is not about driving. It is about the financial side of it. Been in it 10+ years now and I am VERY AWARE that it is not all roses. You have got to be ready for the thorns (at least accept the fact they will show up now and then) or you will not make it, no matter how much you may think you know about it.

I have read and reread my original post to you and can not find anything in it except truth and it does come across a little too sharp. If you can't handle that, then I don't know what to say.

I really think being able to post a smiley here and there would help to not come across so strong, too.

So, now it's your turn to call me stupid and let me know how to post a smiley. Take your best shot!
Old 02-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Rookie

lol. I'm not going to sit here and call you stupid by any means. I think I'll correct myself and say that you implied more then "called" me anything.....so..... Theres 1 for ya, lol. I completely understand the up/downs, and good/bads of this industry. I very much can take as much as I dish out, as we all should be able to. It just came across a bit harsh.....and well....I was bored, so....I'm sure everyone is getting a kick out of this thread starting to take light, lol.

As far as the businesses part. I do currently run the auto transport side of 1 of the 2 mentioned. The other I started, showed him how to make money and then slowly weened myself from him as some of his choices were not the "right" ones. Not my ones.....but "right" ones.

There current one is just fine and dandy. I'm just looking to plant a new seed persay, but having it be my tree in 5 years. Ya know.

The credit thing I know takes time and is a work in progress, so no differences there really.........

Again, lets not make this a pissing match. *But it is kinda fun and entertaining, eh?*.....heh.

Either way, I'm thankful for any and all feedback.......right now, honestly....nothing as opened my eyes to anything "new" persay. If you feel you know something important that is a industry secret or what not, by all means, share!

Okie, I'm going to make some dinner........enjoy your evening.

Chop ps :clap:
Old 02-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Rookie

asdf,

Rates are up and down as always. I have repeat clients that call me direct now on some routes. Most being tx, fl, nj, and around va. I run a small 2/3 car setup now and do just fine, even that a friend actually owns the equipment/company.

It all depends on how you operate I suppose. I keep my deadhead min. and loaded miles max. I run based in va/md but steady run tx, fl, and up to jersey........If I'm not servicing my repeats then just like everyone else I'm running stuff from the load board.

Most people w/ 10/11 cars are signed on with Fleet, or big name guys. To me, thats where ya loose money. JUST MY OPINION......

Dully's get anywhere from 8 to 12 mpg loaded, so you gain a little there. Maintance tends to be a little more because you wear the truck out so quick, but I average about 100K miles a year in a dully, stay in hotels every night on the road and I make about 1,000 a week. After everything is said and done and paid for.....my friend that actually owns it comes out making about 2-3K PROFIT each month.

It's possible, but you have to be smart about it.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Thumbs up

Copy that. I guess it's difficult for myself to fathom making anything running 3-4 cars but I stayed away from the POV stuff. I ran under my own authority for 4 years and just sold my last truck last month. I know what you mean that most o/o run for Fleet Car.(they are a pretty decent outfit to deal with but you're right that you lose way too much). I started my business with a 600k mile truck that I paid cash for and barely got by in the beginning because I didn't realize that 6-8 wks was the norm to get paid for loads.You'll have a leg up if you run COD loads. I tried some COD work when full loads became hard to find but I quickly realized that I did not have the patience for that kind of work. Best of luck to you.

No one will ever tell you that you're gonna make it but if you listen to everyone who will tell you no way you might as well crawl in a hole and die. If you knew everything you'll need to get started common sense would tell you why bother. The beauty of you're situation is that you have experience and determination and work in the segment of the car haul industry that is pretty much void of large companies.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:57 PM
Rookie

asdf,

Thats the + for me. I'm not going into it blind and unknown. I know all the steps, how it works, what to expect since I've been doing it for a couple years now. Its all in what you make it, thats for sure. It's not easy, but it can be rewarding.

Hell..I got home last Thursday and sat till yesterday, and ran 2 local trips 300miles for $1,200, and now the board is dead in any direction....so.....I'm hoping next week picks up a gain. Feb is always the slowest month and I expected it, done good this month compaired to years previous, but........same ol, same ol.

Like I said, you can make good money as a o/o in a dully/3/4 setup, but......its alot more hassle. I just know too many guys that ran with Fleet and got jerked around, messed with their pay in the contracts, more miles....same pay....yada yada.....I just can't see fit to let someone find my work and tell me what I'm doing, and have me running around pickin and rearrangin..when I can go load in a 50/100 mile radius and be moving by noon to the dest.

I broke it down over the winter for a friend with his 4 car and my 2/3 small car trailer, and showd him how I made $35k more then him last year in the same truck and smaller trailer. He *****ed and *****ed, and *****ed, but when I showed him the spread sheet his tune changed and all he could say was.......damn......now I see.

So....just like any other small business, you gotta watch every penny and maximax income vs expense.

Silent, I'm sure you've got some comments to add????? lol, just bustin your shops bro....

Chop