User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Obama's Unionizing Ways

I'm trying to figure out what effects on the Owner Operator market, Obama's plan for making it easier for workers to Unionize.

I'm sure you've heard--but in case you don't already know--what the Dems are getting ready to do is change the way companies are unionized. They are going to make it so all Schneider drivers for instance, may simply get a card mailed to their house, which they fill-out in private and return to the union organizers. No more having to do in the workplace, under the eye of management.

In my opinion, that is going to change the game. I think we may be looking at a situation where JB, Schneider, Swift, Werner, and so on, are all out of business real soon.

Now, if that were to happen, it may be good times again for the Owner Operators. I'm thinking the clock may get turned back to the 1970's -- we may actually see OOs back in the big numbers.

How do you see this playing out?
Old 02-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Filling out a card does not make a workplace unionized. All those cards say is that the person filling it out is interested in what the union has to say. The union still has to get so many cards on file and then there has to be an election to unionize or not.

Regardless of what any given union may say there is never any guarantee that things will get better. They can in fact end up the same or worse.

In the current economy and the job market being what it is I really can not see too many people risking their jobs by forcing a company's hand.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Rookie

I know what you're saying about the economy, but I also know the drivers at those big companies because I started-out as one of them.

Now, the fact that they are in one of those trucks to begin with, may not say much for their smarts, but they are working or they are trying to work--and that counts for something.

I can't say for sure about specific percentages, but I can say for sure that the vast majority of drivers at those big companies realized they were getting screwed, and were taking steps to get out -- I never saw but a handful of people who were happy with those big companies.

I think they will force them to Unionize because they aren't making it as it is. It's not like they'd be risking financial security. Right?

I mean, they're starved-out as it is.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Senior Board Member

The days of "forcing" are over, the companies will simply change their names and keep right on trucking.

For example, Con-way is what was Consolidated Freightways.

I doubt you will ever see the unions organize like they did years ago.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Rookie

Unions currently represent between 10-8% of the workforce,,,depends on the profession. The AFL-CIO has lost support in the last couple of years also...

To organize a union into a company there must be 50% plus 1 representation request cards submitted to the NLRB..as far as I know this did not have to be canvassed soley at a workplace...I have seen info seminars set up at hotels, parties held at organizer's homes..and other....the EYE of management never has played a big part in organizing.

I do not believe the unions have ever been the cause of workplaces folding. The unions did get a 5 day workweek established, held wages higher than unemployment, and maintained a retirement and medical benefits schedule....will they put Swift, Schneider, and others out of business....come on...be real.

Obama may be a Dem...that does not make him union friendly...the fact unions are notoriuos for realizing better outcomes from the Dems does not assure Obama will assist....remember a guy named Clinton...got union support....got elected...and his first week he signed NAFTA into effect...allowing jobs to migrate at a higher speed and ease than ever before....but wait....he was a Dem!

Forced to be unionized due to "not making it"...get real...if you're not making it now...do you think paying $60 a month is going to change the bottom dollar at your Company?....Our economy, or lack thereof, gives your company the chance to be fruitful, not a union...a union simply asks for a contract and then assures it stays intact, stays healthy, as they also wishes their respective companies stay healthy....I just voted for and realized a 10% decrease in pay to assure our company will last...

I am also getting furloughed at the end of this month...but do have the assets to get another job. Good luck to all the drivers in making the most they can with what they have.

All companies are affected by this recession....UNIONS MEMBERS ARE BEING FURLOUGHED ! If LTL is slow for a union company...it's also slow for non-union.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Now, the fact that they are in one of those trucks to begin with, may not say much for their smarts, but they are working or they are trying to work--and that counts for something.
And just how do you figure that? Last time I checked there were not a whole lot of employment opportunities for people who just got their CDL, and most of them reside with Swift, USXpress, etc. Also you have to figure that the vast majority of people who have just gotten their CDL or who are looking to get one know very little if anything about the industry, and even if they do a lot of research their knowledge is still going to be far less than those who have spent a few years going around the block.

Sure they learn after a few months where the real lube is used at many of these big companies, but they also know that until they get some experience they are pretty much stuck. Then after switching companies a few times they figure out it is not so much the size of the company that determines how much of a screwing you are going to get but the company and the people running it that determines if you need the standard or industrial strength stuff.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:21 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneway View Post
I'm trying to figure out what effects on the Owner Operator market, Obama's plan for making it easier for workers to Unionize.

I'm sure you've heard--but in case you don't already know--what the Dems are getting ready to do is change the way companies are unionized. They are going to make it so all Schneider drivers for instance, may simply get a card mailed to their house, which they fill-out in private and return to the union organizers. No more having to do in the workplace, under the eye of management.

In my opinion, that is going to change the game. I think we may be looking at a situation where JB, Schneider, Swift, Werner, and so on, are all out of business real soon.

Now, if that were to happen, it may be good times again for the Owner Operators. I'm thinking the clock may get turned back to the 1970's -- we may actually see OOs back in the big numbers.

How do you see this playing out?

These big carriers are not likely to go out of business any time soon. If anything you could see more consolidation. It isn't necessarily the big carriers who are the problem with freight. The owner operators are their own worst enemies. There are some who will take a load no matter what the pay. The same can be said of the major carriers. I don't want things to be like they were in the 1970's. The only thing good about that time were the rates were regulated. It was a hassle to trip lease. Not everyone could get their authority. There were good things about trucking back then. The cops didn't hassle you as much and they didn't necessarily look at this industry as a cash cow that can be tapped whenever there is a short fall with local taxes.

There have always been those who will take cheap freight. It does seem that there are more these days.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:40 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

If my employees try to unionize I will fight it !!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, wait. I am the only employee. Well I do sometimes lose fights with myself
Old 02-07-2009, 03:27 AM
Senior Board Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle View Post
Oh, wait. I am the only employee. Well I do sometimes lose fights with myself
Don't worry! Either way, you gonna win it. Cause you are also an employer.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:58 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001 View Post
Filling out a card does not make a workplace unionized. All those cards say is that the person filling it out is interested in what the union has to say. The union still has to get so many cards on file and then there has to be an election to unionize or not.
Not exactly. Its called a card check and signing a card is the same as a yes vote. The pending legislation would allow a card check. Basically if 50% plus one sign a card it becomes a union workplace. No vote necesarry and no intimidation from the employer. And the employer has no choice but to negotiate or close up forever. If they cannot reach an agreement then either side can demand arbitration to settle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001 View Post
In the current economy and the job market being what it is I really can not see too many people risking their jobs by forcing a company's hand.
I think just the opposite would happen. Alot of people would see union representation as a way to get ahead. The EFCA makes it easier for people to get union representation and makes it tougher for a company to block the organizing efforts. A company like Werner, Swift, Schneider or JB Hunt etc. could easily be organized under the new law. Just get enough cards signed.

The Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA) is legislation in the United States which aims to "amend the National Labor Relations Act to establish an easier system to enable employees to form, join, or assist labor organizations, to provide for mandatory injunctions for unfair labor practices during organizing efforts, and for other purposes."[1] Under current U.S. labor law, the National Labor Relations Board will certify a union as the exclusive representative of bargaining unit employees by card check process or secret ballot election, which is held if more than 30% of employees in a bargaining unit sign statements asking for representation by a union. If enacted, EFCA would require the NLRB to certify a bargaining representative without directing an election if a majority of the bargaining unit employees signed cards, the card check process.[1]
Pursuant to the bill, a union can demand that an employer begin bargaining within ten days of certification of the union as the exclusive bargaining representative for an appropriate unit of employees via the card check.[1] In addition, if the union and employer cannot agree upon the terms of a first collective bargaining contract within ninety days, either party can request federal mediation, which could lead to binding arbitration if an agreement still cannot be reached after thirty days of mediation.[1] Where government arbitration determines terms of the agreement, employees would lose their current right to ratify the terms of the agreement.[1] Finally, the Act would provide for liquidated damages of three times back pay if employers were found to have unlawfully terminated pro-union employees.[2] The EFCA also would impose a $20,000 penalty upon employers for each employer violation of the proposed legislation if the NLRB or a court deems the violation willful or repetitive.[1][3]
On March 1, 2007, the House of Representatives passed the act by a vote of 241 to 185. The Senate on June 26, 2007 voted 51 to 48 on a motion to invoke cloture on the motion to proceed to consider the bill. The bill failed to pass during the 110th United States Congress because of the 60 votes required to enforce cloture, which may be possible to obtain in the 111th United States Congress.[4]