User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009, 12:20 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Starting a company considering economy

Would starting ones own small trucking company be possible now and in the future considering the economy? Will the economy allow for anyone to ever branch out on their own again?
Old 06-10-2009, 02:22 AM
Rookie

An article that I read:

"TORONTO -- The North American owner-operator as we know him is nearing extinction. Keep reading because that's just one of many candid industry insights offered by the outspoken former Freightliner honcho-turned-Navistar International senior VP, North American sales operations, while in Toronto last week."

Article:
Today?s Trucking.com: The Truck News Site - Canadian website and magazine publishing information and content on truck news, trucking regulations, trucking industry, fleet management, owners/operators and the latest in trucking products and trucking

I think that it partially depends on the larger question of whether North America can maintain it's position as an/the industrial center of the world.

Last edited by Oso; 06-10-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:21 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenworthw900l View Post
Would starting ones own small trucking company be possible now and in the future considering the economy? Will the economy allow for anyone to ever branch out on their own again?

There will always be opportunities for those willing to take a risk. Regardless of the type of government there will opportunities for people to better themselves. During the last depression some great fortunes were started. W. Clement Stone started his own insurance business during that time. It was the worst possible time to start a business, but he bucked the odds and built a fortune. Ford was built during difficult economic times. John D. Rockefeller built the largest oil fortunes the world has ever known during the late 1800's and early 1900's. These are but a few of the many companies that were built during difficult economic times. They found an opportunity and seized it.

Economies run in cycles. Bad times don't last, neither do good times. It is like a pendulum that swings back and forth. To a great extent you can predict what will happen by what happened in the past. Everything that happened during recent years that led up to this current economic depression has happened before. The problem is that most people are not willing to look at history and learn from it. You can make a living as an owner operator right now, but it isn't easy. While I would not recommend anyone strike out on their own at this time. Some will do so and succeed. Others will fail. That will happen regardless of what happens with the economy. When the economy is doing well it is much easier to be successful. During a depressed economy, it is much more difficult.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:50 AM
Rookie
Default own company

I started my own thing about 2 years ago. Running with my own authority/ins/trailers etc. I'm doing fine. The economy will rebound as will rates. If you can make good decisions, financial being at the top of the list, manage risk well, you can start a company anytime.

Now is a good time to buy good used equipment. Tractor prices are low right now. For example I found a great used 2005 Pete 379 with 448K miles for $39,500

I found that starting my business during a recession has had good and bad points. Not as much competition, a diversity of freight etc.

Some advice: don't limit yourself by running ONE type of freight. If flatbed is strong in your area, run that until maybe reefer picks up. I have the ability to use dry vans as well as use my 2 reefer trailers.

Hope this helps.

Robert
Rocketdog Express LLC
Thornton, CO
Old 06-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Senior Board Member

How did you run for 2 years on your own authority when it was just granted in 3/09?
Old 06-14-2009, 01:19 AM
Rookie

I should clarify: I ran as an O/O leased on with a carrier prior to 3/09.....sorry for the confusion.