User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking And the winner is....................

Before I get to that, let me say thanks to Rev for being heads up and getting my user name back. I tried to get back in a few times but was unsuccessful. So thank you!

I've been busy running the truck and doing some construction and things are going as well as can be expected in this economy.

Ok so let's get to the winner, since I started in late October I thought of this post often, if not daily and it would always help to make me realize that things will get easier.

So without further ado......... Ladies and Gentlemen..................Big Diesel for this post.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
The only thing you will do in the first couple of months will be writing a lot checks ,warping the credit card and wringing your hans........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

You will second guess yourself nearly everyday those first two months also..... :lol: :lol:

But.... once you get into a rythym and invoices begin to be paid to you.... you will never look back..... 8)
And you ain't sh!ttin brother! That's the real deal.

I am starting to get a little rhythm so things are starting to get easier but I got a long way to go, and hopefully I never stop learning.

I gotta tell you guys a little about my first week cause it's pretty funny. My wife was with me for the whole week, and she loved it and turns out she also likes chrome and shinny things. :thumbsup: I'm thinking of getting my wiener chromed. :lol:

ANYWAYS!

My first load was lumber and I couldn't believe how hard it was to get the straps over the load. I thought to myself "you can hang 100 sheets of drywall a day and you can't get this piece of sh!t strap over the load, friggin loser!" Next thing I know my wife is on top the load straightening them out, she jumped right in there. Well I continued to fight with the straps all week. The last load I did for the week was a load of paint that went to Rochester, NY and from there we bounced to Buffalo to pick up some warehouse racks coming back. Those things scared the crap outta me, he loaded them on top of one another, so I belly strapped the first set then he loaded the second. Well, I wound up not having a strap in a spot where I thought I needed one so out comes my portable 2" strap.

After securing the racks, I pulled out of the way and onto the access road to throw this 2" strap over the load which is like 13'4 tall, and at this point I'm tired. So my wife is on the opposite side of the truck and I ball the strap up and throw it over and I hear her say "Didn't make it" so I pull it back and ball it up again and wing it and I hear again "didn't make it" I thought MF'er I'll get this b!tch so this time I ball it with the buckle, figuring the weight will help get it over, well I threw that sucker as hard as I could outta frustration really and then I hear "oh no Dave."

I walked around the other side of the truck and there is my strap, it definitely cleared the load and also managed to get it over the telephone/electric wires as well. :lol: So there it is dangling there, and there I am probably thinking of BigD's post. "What have I done to myself?" Now, my wife is scared that I'm going to get shocked and she'll be stuck in Buffalo alone with a truck and a fried husband, but luckily the buckle was facing opposite the lines so it most likely wasn't going to hook, but if it did I was outta there, I'd a went up the street and tried again with a new strap. It pulled off and I got over successfully on the fourth try. :clap:

Now the straps are easy, I have yet to chain, and I've only tarped two loads so I have a lot more frustration in the days and weeks ahead I'm sure,but that's ok.

The truck is running well and I'm putting a lot of the money I'm making back into it till I get it where I want it. I'm trying to be very proactive with maintenance and I'll get there.

I find myself saying "you know what I need" a lot these days.

I haven't had time to keep up with the board a whole lot so I hope all you guys and gals and your family's are doing well.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Welcome back, RostyC. I am glad Rev could get your user name back. There were some glitches with the change over from the old format. It sounds like you are getting your feet wet. You will learn as you go along. There is a way to throw your straps that makes it much easier to get them over the top. You leave it rolled up and toss it primarily using your wrist and elbow. Watch some veteran flat bedder's to see how they toss them over the top. It can really get frustrating in a heavy wind. When I throw them I will usually hold on to the end without the hook to prevent the entire strap from flying over to the other side. You will get the hang of it. All it takes is practice.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Oh yeah I got the hang of them now doing exactly the way you just described. At first I was trying the other way where you throw it like a hook shot in basketball but that just didn't take for me. Now they go over and most of time are not twisted at all.

You know what's funny too, I can go from hero to zero in a matter of seconds some days. This job can humble you quick that's for sure.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Good for you Rosty. Hopefully this economy will be good to you, and let you survive.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Congrats,sounds like you're learning and having fun....

How are you finding loads any trouble? making contacts? getting fair rates?

Old 12-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
Congrats,sounds like you're learning and having fun....

How are you finding loads any trouble? making contacts? getting fair rates?
Loads are scarce right now but I'm getting about 3 or 4 days a week in the truck, and sometimes I need days to do the construction stuff rather there's loads or not, but it is slow on both sides right now. I'm home every night now except for the NY loads. I get anywhere from 1 to 4 loads a day, mostly MD,VA, and PA.

I think the rates are fair but I'm also going to seek some advice on that and see what I come up with. I'm not real comfortable putting out numbers on forums right now but I will check to see how I'm doing.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post
Before I get to that, let me say thanks to Rev for being heads up and getting my user name back. I tried to get back in a few times but was unsuccessful. So thank you!
Glad I could help. Keep us updated!
Old 12-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Put a pic. up of your truck. I also run in PA DE NJ.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 12-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
Put a pic. up of your truck. I also run in PA DE NJ.
You scare me, I don't know if I want to run into you Mackman. :lol:
I'm only kidding. If you see me give me a shout.

Are you familiar with Elizabethville, PA. or rte 225 at all Mackman?

Last edited by Rev.Vassago; 12-09-2008 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Image link deleted per user request