User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default what do you do when you can't cover a load you committed to

What do you guys do? I know it happens due to break downs or when a shipper or consignee take too long to load/unload. So, how do you handle it?
Old 08-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Senior Board Member

with a phone call?

Old 08-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Board Icon

I just don't pick it up. I figure they should be psychic anyway.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:10 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The best thing to do is not over commit. If you see that you cannot get to a pickup on time then call the shipper or broker to see if you can reschedule your pickup or delivery time. Most of the time they will work with you if there is a good reason why you cannot make it. The key is to stay in communication with the broker or shipper. I try to have a window for my deliveries when possible. Sometimes you will have a hard delivery schedule.

I just had an over-sized load that I hauled out of Texas to Arkansas. We had some delays in getting our Texas permit. It also took longer than expected to load and tarp. The main delay was the permit. The people that I got the load from didn't know anything about over-sized loads. I stayed in constant communication with them and explained what is involved in hauled over dimensional freight. They didn't know about curfews and limitations on hauling through some cities. I told them where I would stop for the night and about when I would be at the consignee's. I gave myself a 1 hour window and made it about 15 minutes early even though I had some bad directions from the receiver. You have to do a little more planning with over sized loads. The broker was pretty excited about the load. Apparently, they were supposed to have shipped the load several days before I took it and a major project was held up due to not having the piece that I had on my truck. It should have been the first piece shipped, but instead was the last. The receiver was pleased and everything turned out pretty well. I also had to explain about this type of load to the receiver which helped.

Whether you pull legal or over dimensional freight, you need to plan ahead for contingencies. There were some problems and delays with this load almost from the beginning, but I allowed myself sufficient time for some problems. By allowing for contingencies things worked out.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:56 AM
Senior Board Member

I call the broker every morning and let them know where I am at and whether I expect any delays.

What helps me the most by talking to the broker is if they know I am going to early they will call the receiver and get me in the dock earlier.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:20 AM
Senior Board Member

This happens a lot when pulling a flatbed. I've had loads that took 15 minutes to load and 10 hours to unload because of safety issues. I usually don't book a load to pick up the same day I drop off. If I do, I tell the broker I cannot commit to making it that day and it depends on me getting unloaded. I would just rack this up to experience that you won't forget now.

I will sometimes call the shipper first and most times they will say they don't care when I pick it up and in fact, why don't you come at 7am since we are so busy and that would be better for us! So, I do that then call the broker and have some fun. They say, WHAT!!!! YOU HAVE TO LOAD....The customer HAS to load this TODAY!!!! yell, yell, yell and more yelling.

After I tell them to go F*** a duck I tell them I spoke to the shipper and they don't care. Then the broker says something like, well, I'll have to call them. 3 days later the broker calls all nice, so, how's it going. lol
Old 08-07-2008, 05:35 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

You run into Over enthusiastic brokers all the time They will tell shippers "Oh, it only 1300 miles. He will load Tuesday and deliver Thursday". They don't take into account that it might take all day Tuesday to load and the load sheet still says Thursday delivery.
Like GMAN said get into heavy haul/ OD and it gets worse cuz most brokers get one and don't have the faintest.
I am under a load (well my trailer is) that loaded in Del Rio Tx going just outside of LA, 16 wide, 16 high (Well, might be a little more as it is round but I forgot to allow for trailer hight when requesting the permits, by overall length 147. Although the rate the shipper gave the agent is good (and I can live with) the agent had no idea what it involved, she showed it as 4 days. Parked the trailer at the Nv. Ca. line and bobtailed back to a friends house in West Tx. till CalDot issues the permit, estimate 20 days.
Main point is two or three times a day I called the shipper and receiver and they both know to the minute what is going on and have been there before. Both have said numerouse times "We wondered how that agent figured that time frame".
KEEP IN TOUCH WITH THE SHIPPER AND RECEIVER !!!!!!! One of those is paying the bill
Old 08-07-2008, 05:46 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

Keep in touch with everyone, but the broker :-) :-), if you have problems getting there tell the shipper and just why. If they say it has to go today (But most of it doesn't) tell them "Please call the agent, and I will to, as to why I can't make it in and they will send another truck if they have one and I will stop heading that way". Bet you find most times they will say :Nah, head on in and if we can't get you today you will be first tomorrow".
Old 08-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Some over-sized loads can require running the route before loading. There are a lot of considerations when doing over-dimensional loads.