User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Tire deals?

The truck and trailer I bought in March both had mostly recaps on them (except for steers, of course, and a couple of virgins on trailer).

Didn't realize then what a big deal it would be.

The second week on the road I had one recap drive tire just start spitting chunks.

After that I had two trailer caps start splitting away from the casing. In a moment of weakness I bought two more recaps to replace them, since many have told me that they've had good luck running recaps on their trailer. Well those two new recaps lasted less than three weeks before they started to split. I returned them to the recap seller who replaced them no charge, even though he told me it was probably my fault for running over something (a contention I don't buy because the two tires, which were mounted together, split in different areas). Well, two weeks later and one of those is already splitting.

In addition, two more drive tires and one other trailer tire are also splitting.

BTW, I check the air pressure on all the tires every week.

Now I've got to start the process of replacing all these dern recaps with virgins. I'll probably have to do one axle at a time.

So, finally to the point of this thread, has anybody come across any good tire deals lately? Both my truck and trailer take 22.5 lo pros.

I'm leaning towards using an all position type of tire on both the truck drives and trailer.

And I'm going to need a total of 14 of them eventually. The local truck stop is trying to sell me these $400 tires, I'm not sure they're worth it. I recall Gman and others saying they have had good service out of lesser priced Chinese tires, for instance, but I have been unable to find any.

Best price I've found so far is from a small tire shop nearby: $250 ea for some Remingtons (plus installation). But I don't know anything about them and I know there is more to a good value than a cheap price.

I'd love to get some advice before I plunge into a major purchase.

BTW, I live and haul in the Southeast so deals in Rhode Island or Texas, etc, won't do me any good.

Thanks ahead of time for any constructive feedback.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Board Icon

If the reason you are replacing your recaps is because of quality, why would you even consider going with a cheaper virgin tire?

FWIW, I'm very satisfied with the Bridgestone M726's that I have on my drives. I had Bridgestone R280's on my steers, and got 130,000 miles out of them, even though they were wearing irregularly due to a bad shock.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Atlanta Commercial Tire in Doraville -- They don't install them -- but if you set up a Commercial account, you'll save a LOT of $$$
I've copied that from OOIDA forum, might want to check em out.
For steers, or if you want it all the way around, I'd suggest Yoko RY617, good fuel efficient tire. Not expensive. :roll:
Old 07-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Senior Board Member

You may know this already but I'll repeat it. You can't replace just one tire on any set of tandems. You have to replace both. When you replace just one it tends to be a little larger diameter because it's new. This causes the other tire to skim the ground and will be bald in less than 3,000 miles.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379
Quote:
Atlanta Commercial Tire in Doraville -- They don't install them -- but if you set up a Commercial account, you'll save a LOT of $$$
I've copied that from OOIDA forum, might want to check em out.
For steers, or if you want it all the way around, I'd suggest Yoko RY617, good fuel efficient tire. Not expensive. :roll:
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I will call them Monday. And they are not that far away. I'm in Atlanta at least twice a week.

Not Steve: I mentioned above that I am planning to do one axle at a time.

Rev: I'm just looking for the best value. A cheap price does not make a product a good buy, nor does an expensive product necessarily mean it is the highest quality. That's why I'm asking for experiences of others.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:26 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Default Re: Tire deals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep dixie blue
The truck and trailer I bought in March both had mostly recaps on them (except for steers, of course, and a couple of virgins on trailer).

Didn't realize then what a big deal it would be.

The second week on the road I had one recap drive tire just start spitting chunks.

After that I had two trailer caps start splitting away from the casing. In a moment of weakness I bought two more recaps to replace them, since many have told me that they've had good luck running recaps on their trailer. Well those two new recaps lasted less than three weeks before they started to split. I returned them to the recap seller who replaced them no charge, even though he told me it was probably my fault for running over something (a contention I don't buy because the two tires, which were mounted together, split in different areas). Well, two weeks later and one of those is already splitting.

In addition, two more drive tires and one other trailer tire are also splitting.

BTW, I check the air pressure on all the tires every week.

Now I've got to start the process of replacing all these dern recaps with virgins. I'll probably have to do one axle at a time.

So, finally to the point of this thread, has anybody come across any good tire deals lately? Both my truck and trailer take 22.5 lo pros.

I'm leaning towards using an all position type of tire on both the truck drives and trailer.

And I'm going to need a total of 14 of them eventually. The local truck stop is trying to sell me these $400 tires, I'm not sure they're worth it. I recall Gman and others saying they have had good service out of lesser priced Chinese tires, for instance, but I have been unable to find any.

Best price I've found so far is from a small tire shop nearby: $250 ea for some Remingtons (plus installation). But I don't know anything about them and I know there is more to a good value than a cheap price.

I'd love to get some advice before I plunge into a major purchase.

BTW, I live and haul in the Southeast so deals in Rhode Island or Texas, etc, won't do me any good.

Thanks ahead of time for any constructive feedback.

I bought a tire for my trailer a couple of days ago for $190. I also had to buy another steer which cost me $270 including FET and sales tax. The steer was Double Coin. I have had excellent wear out of them. International is now using them on their new trucks. I have had Double Coin on my drives on my International for about 2 years. They have worn very well. I have a local tire distributor that I have done business with for several years and gives me a very good deal on my tires. I have only had a problem with one tire (not Double Coin) and they took care of it without any problems. Diprima Tire 706-891-5000. They are at the Tennessee/Georgia line near I-75. They actually have a Georgia address but are only about 3 blocks from the Tennessee line. They will ship anywhere in the U.S. if you buy 8 tires. Ask for Ron.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:31 PM

Gman, I talked to Ron this am and he quoted me $229 on double coin trailer tires (RT 606, he says its a premium tire, better for my spread axle) and $249 for Sentaida drives.

I've got a load on my deck now that I am taking to Chattanooga so I will try to get unloaded this afternoon and check them out.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2008, 04:20 PM

I second the vote for Double coin, I have had good luck with them. I have also noticed that on caps it is the old caseings that tend to throw the tread for me. I cap alot of tires being a dump trucker that is in the dirt alot getting all kinds of weird stuff stuck in my tires and have found that old (3 yrs.+) cases tend not to cap well. Double coins take a beating though.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep dixie blue
Gman, I talked to Ron this am and he quoted me $229 on double coin trailer tires (RT 606, he says its a premium tire, better for my spread axle) and $249 for Sentaida drives.

I've got a load on my deck now that I am taking to Chattanooga so I will try to get unloaded this afternoon and check them out.

Thanks

I am glad you were able to get in touch with Ron. He has done well by me since I have been doing business with them. I had to buy a Bridgestone tire on national account last week. I had already blown one tire that same day and used my spare. I believe the tire cost $259 plus tax and mounting. The total price was $347, as I recall. I come out much better buying locally. I prefer doing business with Ron when I can.
I don't know if Ron gave you directions, but it is very easy to access from I-75. Let me know if you need directions.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:59 PM

Gman, I bought six trailer tires from Ron @ $229 ea and four drives @ $245, and that includes FET. Since I am domiciled in Georgia and have a sales tax number I was exempt from paying the sales tax. That alone saved me about $180 on ten tires.

The icing on the cake was that they had a local guy who came over and installed the tires for $15 each, less than half what I normally have to pay.

Adding a valve stem to each, my installed price was $250 for trailer tires and $266 for drives.

The price was definitely right, now lets see how they stand up.

Thanks for the tip.