User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Has CA experienced a meaningful decline in traffic,

Has CA experienced a meaningful decline in traffic, due to their restrictive policies, procedures and enforcement?

This is one driver that requires considerable more motivation, than what it took, last year.
Liberals - Relentless, Vile, Sniveling, Whining, Lying, Vitriolic Complainers.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I can't give you any direct information about a decline in California traffic, but judging from some emails from brokers they are having difficulty finding trucks. The problem is that the rates are still lower than they should be for the area. I won't be going out any time soon unless I get a really great rate going out. So far, no one has been willing to pay my rate. When these states get to the point of making so difficult to do business, it is time to stop going to those states. Florida is planning on going the way of California as far as their idling is concerned. There is little freight coming out of Florida that pays anything. I would say that it is time to stay out of the state should they pursue this venue. There is no reason some of these states should make doing business so difficult. California has run a lot of businesses out of their state due to their public policies and restrictive regulations and excess taxation. They still don't seem to understand that when you over tax and over regulate people, they will eventually respond. One thing I have observed over the years is that when something starts in California or New York, it eventually spreads to the rest of the country. It is ridiculous to think that drivers are not going to idle their trucks when temperatures are 90 degrees or higher. They should have sense enough to understand that unless a driver gets needed rest he is a hazard on the highway. When a driver is too hot or cold, he is not going to rest well.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:47 PM

I see articles about drivers getting hung out to dry for driving to many hours with no sleep. How can you be expected to take a 10 hour break in a truck with no a/c in 90+ degree temps? I personally have a hard time sleeping in a hot truck. So many regulations put onto big trucks under the guise of pollution control. Why if the government cares about pollution so much dont they stop letting these people drive about at 80mph in an 8000lb suv? The government never takes on any of the real issues anymore. By not letting me idle my truck now they are forcing me to break the HOS rules so I can get to a state where I can idle.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Senior Board Member

I'd say park at your shipper if you are to idle. I dubt the CDOT is going looking there. I hear they mostly patrol truckstops for idlers.

My buddy works for a 3 truck tradeshow hauling carrier. He says if the new CARB stuff passes he is hanging it up and going to work at Freeman as a forklift/CDL driver doing tradeshow move-ins and outs.

It is getting tough out there!
Old 06-23-2008, 01:43 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Just stop doing business in those states who will not allow idling. All it would take is for a driver to fall asleep for lack of rest while driving and kill some people. He could then file suit against the state. It will have more teeth if these representatives who voted in this ridiculous legislation are sued individually, especially if they are lawyers. Lawyers hate to be on the receiving end of a lawsuit. :wink:
Old 06-23-2008, 04:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Still plenty of trucks here in CA.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
I'd say park at your shipper if you are to idle. I dubt the CDOT is going looking there. I hear they mostly patrol truckstops for idlers.

My buddy works for a 3 truck tradeshow hauling carrier. He says if the new CARB stuff passes he is hanging it up and going to work at Freeman as a forklift/CDL driver doing tradeshow move-ins and outs.

It is getting tough out there!

One of my drivers told me that he spoke with a CDOT officer and he told my driver that they were mainly checking the rest areas. I do recall being in Truck Town about a year ago and seeing a cop tour the truck stop. Whether he was looking for idlers or not I don't know. There are still people idling their trucks, just not so many.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:07 PM
Board Regular

It's too sad for the things that are going on and they get worse and worse.I wonder when things will get better cause i personally don't see it.Truckers need to be more united and be recognized as a strong force and not what we are now.Probably then we can talk about change.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:03 PM
BANNED

I am down in California once a week and have yet to see CHP ticketing idlers. In fact I have seen a CHP cruise thru rest areas with trucks idleing, and not give it a second thought.

I received a level 1 at Duinsmuir a couple of weeks ago and asked them about this. The inspector chuckled and said " like we have time to chase down idleing trucks, we have bit more important things to do. "
Old 06-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
I am down in California once a week and have yet to see CHP ticketing idlers. In fact I have seen a CHP cruise thru rest areas with trucks idleing, and not give it a second thought.

I received a level 1 at Duinsmuir a couple of weeks ago and asked them about this. The inspector chuckled and said " like we have time to chase down idleing trucks, we have bit more important things to do. "
The folks at Dunsmuir & Cottonwood are pretty laid back Chippies. Unfortunately..down on the southend..there are way to many busy-bodies. I would say the line starts about Fresno.
I remember Fresno PD driving through Klien's, counting idling trucks back in 2004...the day after Fresno voted in their "no-idle" law.