Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadriver
I have been considering this for some time, when I was OTR I
questioned all of the O/O I could to get a feel for it.

I do have a basic plan, get rid of all my debts and for the 1st
year of operation I will pretty much be living out of my truck.
I am single and have no dependents to worry about.

I plan on getting a tractor as new as I can afford with low mileage
if I can find it. Then I plan on having an APU installed for comfort
and to save on wear and tear and fuel costs.

I will be working out of CA, around San Bernardino/Fontana.

I have good credit, I do not like forced dispatch and I have all
endorsements on my license. I do not want to run in snow if possible.

Thanks for inputs so far.

I would look for a company that doesn't have forced dispatch. That way you can more easily run where you want. However, when you limit yourself to where you are willing to run you can inhibit your earnings potential. Landstar has a good agent in Fontana. In fact, they have several agents all over California. CRST has a large terminal in Fontana and CRST Malone has an agent near by. He is usually in need of owner operators who want to run East and back. If you decide you would like t pursue it let me know and I will try to find his number. I believe Covenant, U.S. Express and Werner all have terminals in Fontana. Historically, you can do fairly well running up and down I-5. Rates coming East are usually much less. Running up and down I-5 could involve throwing chains in the winter months. I would check some of the truck stops around your area. Some carriers and brokers put listings on the drivers bulletin board.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:04 PM

First of all G-Man is the man!! He always gives or trys to give good solid advice! Thanks G-Man!!

Now for my 2 cents! To each it's own! I prefer being a Motor Carrier instead of a O/O. Owner Operators have the same responsibilities as a Motor Carrier, you are just not locked into hauling for one company. Yes you have to pay your own insurances, fuel taxes & etc (beleive me, as a lease driver you are paying for all that too) but you have the freedom to haul for who ever payes the better rate! Over time if you are dependable you will be hauling for some of the major shippers for yourself and receiving the same amount as the big motor carriers!

Keep in mind that JB Hunt, Maverick, TMC & etc started with one or two trucks!

"Big Red One" , 3rd ID, 82nd Airborne, Recondo, Jumpmaster, & Drill Sergeant

OOIDA
Old 06-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigrider
First of all G-Man is the man!! He always gives or trys to give good solid advice! Thanks G-Man!!

Now for my 2 cents! To each it's own! I prefer being a Motor Carrier instead of a O/O. Owner Operators have the same responsibilities as a Motor Carrier, you are just not locked into hauling for one company.
You are confusing some terms here.

A "motor carrier" is anyone who has their own authority. Steve Booth, for example, is a "motor carrier". An "owner operator" is anyone who owns their truck and drives it. You can be a "owner operator" and a "motor carrier" at the same time.

Quote:
Yes you have to pay your own insurances, fuel taxes & etc (beleive me, as a lease driver you are paying for all that too) but you have the freedom to haul for who ever payes the better rate!
That is probably the worst oversimplification I have ever seen on the subject.

Quote:
Over time if you are dependable you will be hauling for some of the major shippers for yourself and receiving the same amount as the big motor carriers!
Please explain how exactly you accomplish this.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
I've seen worse.

Quote:
Over time if you are dependable you will be hauling for some of the major shippers for yourself and receiving the same amount as the big motor carriers!
Not with one truck he aint. :shock:

Sure, he'll get a shipper here and there, but you'll never haul consistantly for a shipper.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:27 PM

Okay fellows help me to understand the difference between a Owner Operator and a Motor Carrier. I alway thought, yes a Owner Operator was leased to a company and didn't have his own authority and a Motor Carrier had his own authority and was not leased to anybody?

An as far as the rate, I was saying if you have your own authority and haul for a shipper you get paid the same rate as a big company, because you don't have the company that you are leased to taking money (15 to 25% of the load) out of your settlement!

If I am wrong please explain because it is to my advantage to learn something new everyday!

Thanks

OOIDA
Old 06-07-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:

Now for my 2 cents! To each it's own! I prefer being a Motor Carrier instead of a O/O. Owner Operators have the same responsibilities as a Motor Carrier, you are just not locked into hauling for one company.
You are confusing some terms here.

A "motor carrier" is anyone who has their own authority. Steve Booth, for example, is a "motor carrier". An "owner operator" is anyone who owns their truck and drives it. You can be a "owner operator" and a "motor carrier" at the same time.

Quote:
Yes you have to pay your own insurances, fuel taxes & etc (beleive me, as a lease driver you are paying for all that too) but you have the freedom to haul for who ever payes the better rate!

Quote:
Please explain how exactly you accomplish this.
And Rev as far as oversimplication, when some one puts ETC behind a statement, that normally means that there is more to a situation that is either stated or written about!

And for the record I don't claim to know everything about this business! I learn something new everyday.

OOIDA
Old 06-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Okay fellows help me to understand the difference between a Owner Operator and a Motor Carrier. I alway thought, yes a Owner Operator was leased to a company and didn't have his own authority and a Motor Carrier had his own authority and was not leased to anybody?
As I explained already, a "motor carrier" is any carrier of any size that has a DOT number. An "owner operator" is an owner of a trucking company who operates his or her own equipment. A trucking company who is leased to a carrier can be an owner operator, just as a motor carrier can be an owner operator. It is also possible to be neither a motor carrier or an owner operator, if you have several trucks leased to a carrier but you don't drive any of them.

Quote:
An as far as the rate, I was saying if you have your own authority and haul for a shipper you get paid the same rate as a big company, because you don't have the company that you are leased to taking money (15 to 25% of the load) out of your settlement!
If you don't have the ability to negotiate rates that a large trucking company does, then you aren't going to get the rates they do. Rates aren't set in stone; each motor carrier negotiates them with the shipper, broker, or whoever it is they get the load from. If a shipper has a need for 5 trucks per day to ship goods, and you only have one truck, then not only are you not going to have the negotiating power that a 1000 truck carrier has, but you also aren't likely to get a load from them. That is why many owner operators lease to carriers. It allows them the ability to get that freight that they would have otherwise been shut out from. The price you pay for that ability is the percentage that you pay the carrier (in the case of percentage based carriers, of course).

Quote:
And Rev as far as oversimplication, when some one puts ETC behind a statement, that normally means that there is more to a situation that is either stated or written about!
Actually, the part I was referring to that was an oversimplification was this:

Quote:
Your freedoms only go as far as your ability to negotiate, and your ability to obtain the freight. As a motor carrier, all of that burden is on your shoulders.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
As I explained already, a "motor carrier" is any carrier of any size that has a DOT number. An "owner operator" is an owner of a trucking company who operates his or her own equipment. A trucking company who is leased to a carrier can be an owner operator, just as a motor carrier can be an owner operator. It is also possible to be neither a motor carrier or an owner operator, if you have several trucks leased to a carrier but you don't drive any of them.
Ok ok, now, I have no idea what I am. lol
Old 06-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSteve
Quote:
Ok ok, now, I have no idea what I am. lol
I've told you time and time again, you are a hobby trucker.

(you're a motor carrier and an owner operator) :wink: